Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Specialized Roubaix SL4 size help needed
Quote | Reply
Seeking guidance from ST as our LBS is only minimally helpful. He can fit on both a 54 and a 56 Specialized Roubaix Sl4. Which to go with?

Hubby wants to take up cycling at age post 55+.

He's is brand new to cycling and plans on only doing recreational touring. We looked around at road bikes and settled on the based Specialized Roubaix SL4. The 2017 does not have the "future shock" insert or the new geometry that comes with it, so it is the same as 2016 and earlier geometry.

We've spent some time trying out bikes on a trainer at the store. He can fit a 54 and a 56, although the Specialized fit chart, based solely on his height of 5'8", puts him squarely on a 54. However, on the 54 once the saddle height is set, there is more than an inch drop to the handle bars. In contrast, the 56 which has a big jump in head tube length, puts the handle bar even with his saddle. That seems right for an older beginner.

The stand over height on the 56 is tight, and better on the 54.

FWIW, the big difference between the 54 and the 56 is the head tube. It's 25mm longer than the 54. In terms of stack and reach, the stack on the 56 is 36mm higher, and the reach is 7mm longer. Also, hubby has long arms. He has to get extra long sleeves in dress shirts.

I'm thinking that the 56 gives room to adjust lower stack (remove spacers) or shorter reach (shorter stem), but we can't make the 54 any taller without putting absurd looking stems on it.

My hesitation on the 56 is that the LBS guy was really fixated on the height chart, and I've always thought that if there were two bikes that fit, you should go with the smaller one. Does that hold true with road bikes?

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Roubaix SL4 size help needed [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At 5'8", I would even consider the 52cm size.

I would guess that the 56cm size is way too big.

Do you have any pictures of him on either bike?
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Roubaix SL4 size help needed [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no pics. All I can say is that on the 54, he looked as though he was rounding his shoulders in order to reach the bars.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 5'11" and ride a 54. I was professionally fitted before the bike was ordered and again after it was assembled. A longer stem was all that was changed. 1200 miles and 3 crits later and it fits and handles fine.

I would find it hard to believe someone 5'8" could comfortably ride anything bigger than a 54, most likely a 52.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri3 wrote:
no pics. All I can say is that on the 54, he looked as though he was rounding his shoulders in order to reach the bars.

Are you saying that the 54cm size looked too big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's possible the bar position could be determining for him, but a flipped stem might and/or a few spacers might be better than all the other compromises of the 56. It's also possible he needs a longer stem on the 54.
I personally loathe having a bike with dicey standover.
If the guy at the shop was fixated on the size chart, that's not confidence-inspiring. On the other hand, that might have been a nice way of saying lookit, the 56 is way too big even though it *feels* comfortable to you now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, I'm saying that he looked as though he was stretching to reach the bars.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 5"8' am a fitter and work for a Specialized retailer. I cannot imagine a situation where I would put a person that size on a 56. I have a very short torso and can ride a 52 or 54 in that bike. Actually a 54 women's model fits me perfectly.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks all. 54 it is.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probably best move. I'm 6'2" and I ride a 56 Roubaix.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
54 is probably too big.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri3 wrote:
No, I'm saying that he looked as though he was stretching to reach the bars.

That is too big.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Please remember that most bike shops only want to sell the bike that they have in stock no matter how bad the fit is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At least that is not a factor this time. We're getting the base model, so we have to order it no matter which size. The LBS knows this.

In terms of the fit, I think he ended up too stretched out on the 54 because we had the same saddle to bar distance that we had on the 56--which has a much taller head tube.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He should try a 52.

Several people besides me have suggested it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not that simple... I'm 5'8.5" and my friend is 5'10", he rides a 54, but I would need a 56. Just as simple as body morphology... I have a longer upper body and he's has more leg length. I'm also a bit more flexible. Basically what it comes down to, the height charts are near useless when it comes to decided between two sizes. It helps to eliminate the below 50cm (and I guess the 60+) but that's about it.

"Suddenly the thought struck me. My floor is someone elses ceiling"-Nils Ferlin
Last edited by: audiojan: Jul 2, 17 5:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 6' and 52 (yrs). I ride the 56 SL4 Expert. A 54 for someone your husband's height sounds big.
Quote Reply