Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Raising money for sexual assault victims with lingerie shoot
Quote | Reply
http://www.msn.com/...&ocid=spartandhp

I'll start by saying hats off to a brave young girl for looking out for the well being of others with the little time she has remaining. However, is it wrong to think that raising money for sexual assault victims could have been done in a more appropriate way then by posing in lingerie?

To me it seems a little ironic.
Quote Reply
Re: Raising money for sexual assault victims with lingerie shoot [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, ironic, but also defiance (intended or not) against the commonly expressed notion that some sexual assault victims "provoked" the attack by expressing overt sexuality.

I don't have a problem with it.
Quote Reply
Re: Raising money for sexual assault victims with lingerie shoot [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Yes, ironic, but also defiance (intended or not) against the commonly expressed notion that some sexual assault victims "provoked" the attack by expressing overt sexuality.

I don't have a problem with it.

x2. She is getting the message across that you can look but you have no right to touch.
Quote Reply
Re: Raising money for sexual assault victims with lingerie shoot [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Point taken about the defiance (look no touch - CC) aspect. Im a hypocrit because I don't shy away from a good look at times, but I'm sick of everything being sexualised these days.

Perhaps I'm missing the point and it's the most appropriate way to raise funds. Don't know
Quote Reply
Re: Raising money for sexual assault victims with lingerie shoot [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mv2005 wrote:
Point taken about the defiance (look no touch - CC) aspect. Im a hypocrit because I don't shy away from a good look at times, but I'm sick of everything being sexualised these days.

Perhaps I'm missing the point and it's the most appropriate way to raise funds. Don't know

Well , the company behind it IS a lingerie company. Don't imagine they'd have a parka shoot.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Raising money for sexual assault victims with lingerie shoot [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:

Well , the company behind it IS a lingerie company. Don't imagine they'd have a parka shoot.

I'm aware of that. Part of me wondered whether they approached her as an opportunity to cash in and sell the 'defiance' message, rather than it being her own idea.

Regardless, she raised a good deal of money so as long as it's used as she intended it to be then she has achieved her goals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How many charities do we see people supporting through athletic endeavors where the recipients of the funds would be unable to participate in the event through which the funds were raised?

How many firefighters bare skin to raise money for burn victims in calendars etc?

It's all a little weird if you think about it- but it does work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thirst trap
Quote Reply
Re: Raising money for sexual assault victims with lingerie shoot [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Moonrocket wrote:
How many charities do we see people supporting through athletic endeavors where the recipients of the funds would be unable to participate in the event through which the funds were raised?

How many firefighters bare skin to raise money for burn victims in calendars etc?

It's all a little weird if you think about it- but it does work.

Not sure they are the same. At least with the fire fighters it would seem that they both view fire as a bad thing. I don't think the sexual abuse victim cares to have their body objectified, but then that could be it. That it's not fair that they may no longer be able to feel comfortable doing as such.

I've said it before, I acknowledge my views on this are somewhat hypocritical. As men we like to show off our bodies (when in shape) but strutting about shirtless etc. We're lucky that we never really feel threatened by doing so.

I found the counter-arguments interesting mind you. Eye opening stuff - even if it's slightly Clockwork Orange like!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think it is appropriate to say a sexual assault victim provoked an attack by dressing a certain way. Having said that we have a rather schizophrenic way of dealing with sexuality in our society. On the one hand everywhere you look there are images of people dressing and acting provocatively and on the other we are saying "but treat people with respect not as objects". I have never seen a movie where there is a sex scene where before the act there is a discussion about "are you okay that we do this?" or "wait a sec I have to get on my condom!"

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Raising money for sexual assault victims with lingerie shoot [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
I don't think it is appropriate to say a sexual assault victim provoked an attack by dressing a certain way. Having said that we have a rather schizophrenic way of dealing with sexuality in our society. On the one hand everywhere you look there are images of people dressing and acting provocatively and on the other we are saying "but treat people with respect not as objects". I have never seen a movie where there is a sex scene where before the act there is a discussion about "are you okay that we do this?" or "wait a sec I have to get on my condom!"

I have seen movies like that!

I agree with the shizophrena, but I don't necessarily agree that images of people dressing and acting provocatively is always the same thing as objectification. Though it can be. And I don't think we need movies to include pedantic after-school special pre-sex stuff. Though I think it's a good part of any upbringing to develop a knowledge that behavior in movies isn't necessarily good behavior in real life.
Quote Reply