Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Prescription painkillers... [adambeston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Controlled substance prescriptions generally don't allow refills on scripts. The other thing is if you are prescribing usually give a month or two at a time because if you don't people keep running out early and calling your office bugging you for more pills. Or if they lose a large script placing you in bad position of either not filling pain meds or wondering if they are lying about losing the large script to get more drugs out of you. One thing about addicts they all lie.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Prescription painkillers... [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dammit. Where are mine?
Quote Reply
Re: Prescription painkillers... [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That Chart is more clear that is talking about opioids, but I still wonder if the numbers are correct.

Opioids are 3rd most prescribed drug class behind lipid regulators and antidepressants. And I know I've seen articles where only about 16% of population is on antidepressants. (25%) for some age groups. So 150 prescriptions per 100 people seems suspect.

https://www.thebalance.com/...y-drug-class-2663215
Quote Reply
Re: Prescription painkillers... [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
I think you meant to type "meth and Moutain Dew" ...

I know what I fucking meant and it wasn't meth, though that is also a problem. I meant opiates.

http://www.tennessean.com/...-epidemic/331105001/

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Prescription painkillers... [patf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another thing that may skew the stats is methadone recipients. Many of them go to pharmacy daily and have to be observed taking their dose. Or do same at a clinic. In some cases each dose may be considered a prescription because pharmacy can bill a script fee for each dose. One person 365 "prescriptions" in a year. So that adds a lot of prescriptions to the stats. Depending how it is handled/recorded state to state can really skew stats.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Prescription painkillers... [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
veganerd wrote:
Legal weed tends to lower painkikler use/addiction.

True. There is also a correlation between legalized weed and reduced deaths from opiate overdosing. I support legalized weed. I think this is a good thing, but, I'm not certain.

This dude is a disabled Army vet who testified before the WI Legislature during hearings on legalizing medical maryjane. In these bags are all the Rx drugs he was on at the same time. He stopped using all of them when he started smoking pot. I have a very hard time believing anything other than this is a good thing.

Fortunately, WI listened and approved hemp oil and is on its way to legalize medical marijuana. Now, we need to legalize it for recreational purposes and tax the shit out of it!

I agree 100%. IMO the only reason the Feds are actually going backwards on this has to do with the power and money of pharma. Once those who have the money and power make their adjustments and can profit from weed instead of losing those profits to someone else, it will all change quickly.
Quote Reply
Re: Prescription painkillers... [Mike D1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike D1 wrote:
JSA wrote:
veganerd wrote:
Legal weed tends to lower painkikler use/addiction.

True. There is also a correlation between legalized weed and reduced deaths from opiate overdosing. I support legalized weed. I think this is a good thing, but, I'm not certain.

This dude is a disabled Army vet who testified before the WI Legislature during hearings on legalizing medical maryjane. In these bags are all the Rx drugs he was on at the same time. He stopped using all of them when he started smoking pot. I have a very hard time believing anything other than this is a good thing.

Fortunately, WI listened and approved hemp oil and is on its way to legalize medical marijuana. Now, we need to legalize it for recreational purposes and tax the shit out of it!

I agree 100%. IMO the only reason the Feds are actually going backwards on this has to do with the power and money of pharma. Once those who have the money and power make their adjustments and can profit from weed instead of losing those profits to someone else, it will all change quickly.

They are already prepared and have patents etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Prescription painkillers... [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I watched the movie Prescription Thugs and it was pretty eye opening to see the scope of our opioid problem.

What about trying Kratom in place of medical weed?
Quote Reply
Re: Prescription painkillers... [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would be careful trying to use weed for depression. It has been known to exacerbate symtoms in those already in depressive states or prone to depression. It is band-aid for the what is actually causing the depression and can have the reverse effect of making you think about those things even more. Obviously that can be a good thing if you are willing to really do something about it. I've found it to be a self-truth serum.
Quote Reply
Re: Prescription painkillers... [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When i was sick i was initially placed on vicodin and it did nothing for me. I was then put on oxycodond within 24 hours amd it rocked my world.

I was on it for a few days and then stopped but as highs go it was amazing
Quote Reply
Re: Prescription painkillers... [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
schroeder wrote:
Recently read this: http://www.newyorker.com/...he-addicts-next-door

Some of the stats were crazy. Like this: According to the Charleston Gazette-Mail, between 2007 and 2012 drug wholesalers shipped to West Virginia seven hundred and eighty million pills of hydrocodone (the generic name for Vicodin) and oxycodone (the generic name for OxyContin). That was enough to give each resident four hundred and thirty-three pills.

Then add cheap heroin on top of those.

What I want to know, is why isn't the DEA going after the pharmaceutical companies, drug wholesalers and the doctors running these pill mills? Looks like a pretty obvious criminal conspiracy. At the very least there is reckless indifference, how could a wholesaler justify sending that many pills to one state and claim they didn't fully know severe abuses and misuse was occuring?
Quote Reply
Re: Prescription painkillers... [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lobbyist. The drug companies have lots of money.
Quote Reply
Re: Prescription painkillers... [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri_yoda wrote:
schroeder wrote:

Some of the stats were crazy. Like this: According to the Charleston Gazette-Mail, between 2007 and 2012 drug wholesalers shipped to West Virginia seven hundred and eighty million pills of hydrocodone (the generic name for Vicodin) and oxycodone (the generic name for OxyContin). That was enough to give each resident four hundred and thirty-three pills.

What I want to know, is why isn't the DEA going after the pharmaceutical companies, drug wholesalers and the doctors running these pill mills? Looks like a pretty obvious criminal conspiracy. At the very least there is reckless indifference, how could a wholesaler justify sending that many pills to one state and claim they didn't fully know severe abuses and misuse was occuring?

One of the problems is how do you justify denying someone in pain, a painkiller? Someone says they habe pain, who is the doctor to say no? I think coordinated tracking of opiate prescriptions and limitations on the amount prescribed is the best solution.
Quote Reply
Re: Prescription painkillers... [Tibbsy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tibbsy wrote:
Lobbyist. The drug companies have lots of money.

I know this, but let's be honest, if it was mostly blacks involved, we would be giving out 100 year mandatory minimum sentences and talking about how we have to stop the gangs. Instead we are "whitewashing" this as a "public health" issue. This whole thing is sickening, this crisis has been brewing for years, nothing has been done to stop the corporations.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by spudone [ In reply to ]
Re: Prescription painkillers... [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
windywave wrote:
tri_yoda wrote:
schroeder wrote:

One of the problems is how do you justify denying someone in pain, a painkiller? Someone says they habe pain, who is the doctor to say no? I think coordinated tracking of opiate prescriptions and limitations on the amount prescribed is the best solution.
Justification: "Do no harm" comes to mind.

I agree with tracking and limits. If a doctor's going to prescribe an opiate for severe acute pain, sure. A couple days max. But opiates are not a good option for chronic pain. Study after study has shown that.

But I also have a problem with big pharma. They have been promoting opiates and dosing regimens that they knew would get people hooked. And then lobbying like crazy to keep alternative pain management options unavailable. It's criminal.

Agree with everything you say, I just think it's a bad place to put doctors in. I Additional thought outlaw prescription refills in ERs and urgent cares.
Quote Reply
Re: Prescription painkillers... [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
spudone wrote:
windywave wrote:
tri_yoda wrote:
schroeder wrote:

Justification: "Do no harm" comes to mind.

I agree with tracking and limits. If a doctor's going to prescribe an opiate for severe acute pain, sure. A couple days max. But opiates are not a good option for chronic pain. Study after study has shown that.

But I also have a problem with big pharma. They have been promoting opiates and dosing regimens that they knew would get people hooked. And then lobbying like crazy to keep alternative pain management options unavailable. It's criminal.

Agree with everything you say, I just think it's a bad place to put doctors in. I Additional thought outlaw prescription refills in ERs and urgent cares.

If true that these are only good for post-surgical and terminal cancer pain (which I think is probably the way it has to be), it seems pretty simple to me that only surgeons and oncologists should be allowed to prescribe them. That nukes all the bogus 'pain clinics' right there.

I tore 3 ligaments in my knee and didn't take (or need) any opoids for the actual injury. I did take them for a couple of days after the surgery to fix the mess. Kids who get hurt in high school football games, etc. shouldn't get opoids.
Quote Reply
Re: Prescription painkillers... [Erin C.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Erin C. wrote:

If true that these are only good for post-surgical and terminal cancer pain

That's not true
Quote Reply
Re: Prescription painkillers... [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Erin C. wrote:

That's not true

O.K., but they're not good for chronic pain, right?
Quote Reply
Re: Prescription painkillers... [Erin C.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Erin C. wrote:
windywave wrote:
Erin C. wrote:

That's not true

O.K., but they're not good for chronic pain, right?

Well they're good at getting rid of the pain, it's the addiction that is the problem:)
Quote Reply

Prev Next