Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Lisbon or Barcelona
Quote | Reply
most responses to someone's Barcelona post earlier this week are negative. My wife and I are going to spend a couple of days somewhere in Europe next April on the way back from a trip to Morocco. Barcelona was the easiest logistically, so we were planning to do that. Lisbon, however is only slightly less appealing logistically, so compare and contrast those 2 options if you have experience with each.
Quote Reply
Re: Lisbon or Barcelona [mr. mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
... If it's April 2018 for you, I'll have returned from my Barcelona trip and can chime in specifically about Barcelona in a couple of weeks.

Re: the negatives about Barcelona posted on my thread - Good to know, but not so bad that I'd be dissuaded from not going. (North Korea, I can be dissuaded). Some of our best trips family trips have had negatives to be wary of (Athens, Greece - economic crises; Costa Rica - Fer de Lance horrors; etc.) And most positive places haven 't been that great an experience (Disney as the happiest place on earth -- but not so much fun for us).

I think a lot about travel is what you make of it. Never be clueless. And don't be the "ugly american".
Quote Reply
Re: Lisbon or Barcelona [40-Tude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
to the extent it matters to anyone's replies, mine is most decidedly not a "family trip". Couple in our early 50s, no kids, so anything specific to teenagers in the other thread doesn't apply to us.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lisbon. Lisbon. Lisbon

Great people, great food, amazing sights.

Very inexpensive too.

Also, spend half a day at Sintra. Well worth it.
Quote Reply
Re: Lisbon or Barcelona [triguy101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triguy101 wrote:
Lisbon. Lisbon. Lisbon

Great people, great food, amazing sights.

Very inexpensive too.

Also, spend half a day at Sintra. Well worth it.
This. Barcelona is cool but not great. I would return only as a stop before heading up to Andorra.

Quote | Reply
I don't think you can really go wrong with either. Could Lisbon be a little less busy? Maybe, but these days, I think we're all hard pressed to escape the masses and tourist crowds. I really like the castle atop Lisbon that overlooks the city. If you like the variance in topography of the city itself and how that makes it unique, then Lisbon for sure. I don't remember being impressed with Barcelona's beach, so I don't think that's a draw, and I think the train out to the coast from Lisbon is worth it if you want beach-time.

Gnothi Seauton.
Quote Reply
Re: Lisbon or Barcelona [triguy101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 Another vote for Lisbon. What a fabulous city!

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lagos!

sometimes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife and I visit a few European cities each spring and two years ago were Barcelona and Lisbon. We LOVED both. People were very nice to us, interesting sights to see, good food... I don't think you'll go wrong either way. Random thoughts: Lisbon has an "older" feel in a lot of ways (narrow streets, cobbled roads, the old tile on the facades of homes, etc.). For anyone who struggles to walk long distances, I would be cautious about Lisbon because the very uneven cobbled sidewalks and steep hills can make for long days. We put in 10 to 18 walking miles a day when we visit a city and Lisbon was definitely more "work" than most. On the other hand, I ate some food in Lisbon that was so good and so unique that it literally brought a tear to my eye. If you are the types to mark destinations on a map and to shape your time around the sights (museums, cathedrals, monuments, castles), then Barcelona might have a bit more to visit, but Lisbon certainly isn't lacking by any stretch.
Quote Reply