Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Sanders out at Chattanooga [younggun15] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanders should get the treatment every other poster on here gets when they moan about the rules and how they want a category for themselves which of course they would win.

Sent to the cry like a little Biatch thread.

Lets change the rules of the sport just so Lionel can win, ignoring how more boring that would make the race.
Quote Reply
Re: Sanders out at Chattanooga [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
The Wall is not something most people would choose to ride. It's a road called Green Lake Rd. Runs parallel to the highway coming out of OK Falls heading south.

The climb (The Wall) itself is about 2km or so at probably 15% grade. It takes you up to the plateau. It's probably not realistic for a race. Like, literally, I would wager a reasonable portion of the field could not actually make it up it.

It goes up by See Ya Later Ranch Winery: https://www.google.com/...=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Another route option that would have been a good route (IMO) would have been Penticton > Oliver > Fairview (which takes you the alternate way up to that same plateau) > Willowbrook > White Lake > Twin Lakes > Green Mountain Rd.

THIS would have been a murderously hard bike course. This was my standard 3.5-4hr loop. Exactly 120km... If THIS had been the bike course, i would have focused my season around this race.

OK, I've ridden the Wall once - if I'm right - there's a winery at the top? That route though was something resembling the Challenge half course as well, I've ridden that once as well and it's an outstanding route. But I'm sure you've ridden it 100x what I have so...you know!

The more I've thought about it the more it kind of depresses me. So many options in Penticton...pity.

Brent

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: Sanders out at Chattanooga [Stevie G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stevie G wrote:
Sanders should get the treatment every other poster on here gets when they moan about the rules and how they want a category for themselves which of course they would win.

Sent to the cry like a little Biatch thread.

Lets change the rules of the sport just so Lionel can win, ignoring how more boring that would make the race.

+1

He's basically saying he won't race unless it's made to suit him.

Plenty of other athletes have their ideal courses / weather etc, they don't moan about it. They turn up and get on with it.

What seemed at first to be a refreshing genuine guy seems to be a massive ego who thinks "it's all about me"
Quote Reply
Re: Sanders out at Chattanooga [bluefever] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I want them to make a set of rules for me that advantage me at the expense of every one else otherwise I wont' do your race
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A friend of mine described this thread wonderfully saying..."Lions don't loose sleep worrying about the sheep".

It's a Good life if you don't Weaken!
My Mom 1922-2004
Quote Reply
Re: Sanders out at Chattanooga [IAGLIYDW] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IAGLIYDW wrote:
A friend of mine described this thread wonderfully saying..."Lions don't loose sleep worrying about the sheep".

Wow, I love this!!!!

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Sanders out at Chattanooga [IAGLIYDW] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IAGLIYDW wrote:

Except Lionel does read this stuff and it does affect him. He has said so himself on more than one occasion.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Sanders out at Chattanooga [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We have world class swimming coaches in Ontario.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You'll have to explain to me how adding 20m draft zones will create more boring racing?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Sanders out at Chattanooga [bluefever] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fans are like that. They get mad when athletes don't talk enough, but then if they talk to much they turn on them too. I guess that's what makes fans, fans.

I think he's pretty smart about it except I'd still show up and race it even if he finishes outside top 10. Mainly because I have a hard time not thinking someone else is footing his travel bills at this point. But i get what he is saying. At that distance and that race, he's limited and add in the rules they'll play by and it's uphill battle the whole way. I think sometimes you just show up because that's what you need to do. I think what this shows more than anything is how attached to an race effort result he *seems* to be and affected by. IE- it really will bother him if he does his best and loses because of what he deems unfair rules. Some athletes can brush it off, whereas it seems this type of result really messes with his head. And I'm not saying that as a negative or a put down. I think it's exactly why he isn't doing Chatt this year. Again I hope they doesn't come across as a diss, I just think it's more of the true personality that LS is.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stevie G wrote:
I want them to make a set of rules for me that advantage me at the expense of every one else otherwise I wont' do your race

Precisely!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Sanders out at Chattanooga [Im-a-miler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Im-a-miler wrote:
kjmcawesome wrote:
Listening to the TRS interview, it seems like Lionel knows that he needs to be able to get to the front of the bike quickly. If there is a pack (let's call it 10+) that comes out 4+ minutes ahead of him AND can put down power on the bike, they form a lead group to which he cannot bridge.

Call it whatever you want. He is picking races he thinks he can win.. Oh and Kona ;)

Which is smart.... if you're a contractor of sort, you do the jobs you win the bid. Gotta make a living.

I have no problem with picking races that suit him best. It's his livelihood after all.

I just have a minor issue with using this 20m draft zone as an excuse... since no race he's doing has a 20m draft zone. So he's using that as some kind of excuse to not show up at a race in which his major weakness will be an extreme liability. Fresh water, no wetsuit, with a portion against the current, and against a world class field is kryptonite to him.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Sanders out at Chattanooga [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Fresh water, no wetsuit, with a portion against the current, and against a world class field is kryptonite to him.

Any guesses on the odds of WTC adjusting the swim course to all-downriver? I'd think if there was enough rain, the (I think) 3:00/100m upriver times seen by the pros at Chat 70.3 earlier this year would be enough to get them to scrap it (as I think it effectively means that 2/3 of the pro field's ~1:10/100 pace energy is spent overcoming current). If so, and I were LS, I'd just wait for the forecast, and either healthy scratch if no rain happens, or make the drive as it is just a day or so by car from Ontario vs. just giving the WTC an outright no.

As a weaker swimmer, I'm kinda curious (and secretly hoping) if WTC considering switching back to all-downriver, especially given the risk of it bottlenecking with weaker swimmers at the start of the race.
Last edited by: ohhim: Jul 2, 17 17:39
Quote Reply
Re: Sanders out at Chattanooga [ohhim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2% chance it's changed.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Sanders out at Chattanooga [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Im-a-miler wrote:
kjmcawesome wrote:
Listening to the TRS interview, it seems like Lionel knows that he needs to be able to get to the front of the bike quickly. If there is a pack (let's call it 10+) that comes out 4+ minutes ahead of him AND can put down power on the bike, they form a lead group to which he cannot bridge.

Call it whatever you want. He is picking races he thinks he can win.. Oh and Kona ;)

Which is smart.... if you're a contractor of sort, you do the jobs you win the bid. Gotta make a living.

I have no problem with picking races that suit him best. It's his livelihood after all.

I just have a minor issue with using this 20m draft zone as an excuse... since no race he's doing has a 20m draft zone. So he's using that as some kind of excuse to not show up at a race in which his major weakness will be an extreme liability. Fresh water, no wetsuit, with a portion against the current, and against a world class field is kryptonite to him.
I thought it was established that the quote was incorrectly reported by the journalist. Can we stop commented on something that was never said?
Quote Reply
Re: Sanders out at Chattanooga [nchristi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nchristi wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
Im-a-miler wrote:
kjmcawesome wrote:

I thought it was established that the quote was incorrectly reported by the journalist. Can we stop commented on something that was never said?

Have you watched this video that was linked in the article?

http://triathlonmagazine.ca/...cisions-rest-season/

Go to 1:50.....

He said he won't do 70.3 WC's again until there is a 20m draft zone.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Sanders out at Chattanooga [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
nchristi wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
Im-a-miler wrote:
kjmcawesome wrote:

Have you watched this video that was linked in the article?

http://triathlonmagazine.ca/...cisions-rest-season/

Go to 1:50.....

He said he won't do 70.3 WC's again until there is a 20m draft zone.
Exactly, and it is very different from saying that he "will only be involved in 20 m draft zones at a world title level." I don't see this as an excuse since he's only speaking about this particular race.
Quote Reply
Re: Sanders out at Chattanooga [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
very little overtaking with 20 metre rule once the top people have strung out at 20* 20 metre and you have to go past the whole thing.

at 7 metres you got overtaking and moves, watching people ride in a long line 20 * 20 is dull
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I'll throw a LSism at you. Do you want non-draft or not? Your point proves why he's in favor of 20m.

You may seem like it is dull but I think it's semantics when talking non-draft LC racing. That shit is boring at 8m or 20m.

ETA: if you want the bike ride to be more true individual effort you'll understand why 20m matters. If you don't care then you'll think he's bitching because his swim sucks and is simply complaining ppl in front of him are "sitting in".

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Jul 3, 17 13:39
Quote Reply
Re: Sanders out at Chattanooga [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
So I'll throw a LSism at you. Do you want non-draft or not? Your point proves why he's in favor of 20m.

You may seem like it is dull but I think it's semantics when talking non-draft LC racing. That shit is boring at 8m or 20m.

ETA: if you want the bike ride to be more true individual effort you'll understand why 20m matters. If you don't care then you'll think he's bitching because his swim sucks and is simply complaining ppl in front of him are "sitting in".

Well said. If one believes that the intent when the draft zones were originally set up was to eliminate any advantage gained by those following others on the bike then that intent has failed. The advent of power meters has shown us there is a real advantage sitting 10 or 12 or even more meters behind other bikes and a good bit more behind a moto. If one wants a draft in a race go race ITU.

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The chances of 20 guys all riding in a line decreases significantly at 20m. So I think opposite of what you think would happen. It would be much smaller group at front and force people to actual ride to their ability. Now whether that's boring is the question. But I don't think the same peloton that you see now would automatically happen w 20m. Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply

Prev Next