Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Post workout migraines?
Quote | Reply
I have been experiencing post workout "migraines" occasionally, especially after an intense interval workout, one where I really exert myself for an hour or more...nothing on my long training days where it is mostly in zone 1-3.

It starts about 10-20 min after the workout. First thing is, for lack of a better description, partial blindness in both eyes. Really what it is is a squigly line across my vision, like a blindspot when you look at the sun, etc, but it is across both eyes. Gets to the point where I almost have no peripheral vision. This goes on for about 10-15 minutes, and then turns into a pretty harsh headache, specifically behind one eye or the other, but it is what I would describe as closer to a migraine than your standard headache. It generally lasts for a few hours. It doesnt happen after every workout, or even every week, maybe more like once a month or so, if that. But it is common enough for me to know what it is when it starts.

Yes, I know, go see a doctor....and I will, but I wanted to see if anybody here has dealt with something similar, and if it is truly something serious or not.
Quote Reply
Re: Post workout migraines? [Tri52082] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like what happens right before having a stroke.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had this happen many times when I played hockey very early in the morning before work. I was exhausted at the end of the skate.

I found that drinking a bottle of Gatorade afterwards and then eating a better breakfast stopped them.

You may have a different problem but it's something you can try before your doctor appointment.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those squiggly lines are the worst :(

I had this problem during/after exercise on the bike...for me it was a hydration/electrolyte issue. A lot of folks say that shorter workouts don't require drinks like Skratch (what I use), but after I started using it for pretty much every workout regardless of effort I didn't have nearly as many headaches, felt better during the workout, and recovered better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get post-exercise migraines when I've done a hard race - usually hard mtb races. I think it's related to dehydration so I try to have a good in-race hydration plan and then to always take a recovery drink and then get on the post-race rehydration as soon as possible.

I get occasional migraines anyway and I have tablets for those but I consider the post-exercise ones separate in cause.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also - your symptoms do seem similar to my migraine symptoms.

You should still go and see a doctor as there are also anti-migraine tablets like Imitrex that they could prescribe you if appropriate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Migraine headaches can have mulptiple triggers, as other posters mentioned dehydration is one. Diet, fatigue, chemical exposure(even strong fragrance) and certainly bright light( outdoors without good sunglasses) are others- if the trigger isn't obvious then noting when the headaches occur on your training calendar would be an idea
Quote Reply
Re: Post workout migraines? [Woodchuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the suggestions. Just spoke with my nutritionist. I just started a detox diet Monday that removes a ton of stuff from my daily diet. She agrees that it is most likely related to hydration/nutrition. Because it doesn't happen after every hard workout, there's no real pattern, so it has to most likely be something related to not having enough in my stomach or not getting something in my stomach quick enough after the workout. Going to try a few adjustments and pay attention to any triggers if it happens again.

Thanks again folks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nothing much to offer but I can say that I do also occasionally get this. Key is hydration I believe. Esp on hot days and really pounding it to follow the peloton.

Gatorade is what I use given that for x reason it helps w/ headaches
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I sporadically get severe migraines as well as headache-less migraines that manifest like mini-strokes. The only trigger I've been able to identify is working out while somewhat sleep-deprived, especially on hot days, and perhaps also in the presence of especially bright light. I've had a neurological workup, nothing troubling showed up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri52082 wrote:
I have been experiencing post workout "migraines" occasionally, especially after an intense interval workout, one where I really exert myself for an hour or more...nothing on my long training days where it is mostly in zone 1-3.

It starts about 10-20 min after the workout. First thing is, for lack of a better description, partial blindness in both eyes. Really what it is is a squigly line across my vision, like a blindspot when you look at the sun, etc, but it is across both eyes. Gets to the point where I almost have no peripheral vision. This goes on for about 10-15 minutes, and then turns into a pretty harsh headache, specifically behind one eye or the other, but it is what I would describe as closer to a migraine than your standard headache. It generally lasts for a few hours. It doesnt happen after every workout, or even every week, maybe more like once a month or so, if that. But it is common enough for me to know what it is when it starts.

Yes, I know, go see a doctor....and I will, but I wanted to see if anybody here has dealt with something similar, and if it is truly something serious or not.

Glioblastoma.....

maybe, but most likely just dehydration and general exhaustion.
Although the loss of peripheral vision is troubling (heart/circulation).

Keep us updated on the follow-up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are post workout headaches that you could be experiencing too.
Quote Reply
Re: Post workout migraines? [rs1852] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I quite often get headaches after a long bike ride, but I believe they are stress/strain headaches from having my neck in riding position for a long time.
Obviously see the doc, and like someone else suggested, might be a good idea to ask the doc about trying imitrex. You take it -as soon- as you feel any symptom of the migraine coming on. I believe it works by narrowing the blood vessels. If it works, that might confirm migraine.
THAT said, also ask the doc if it is safe to use it after a hard workout. Just thinking, is using a drug to narrow the blood vessels a good idea after a hard workout? No idea..
Quote Reply
Re: Post workout migraines? [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad to hear that I'm not alone here. I did a pretty intensive spring bike training program - weekly rides of 80-110 mi with 6k+ of climbing. I would have a headache almost every time the day after the rides. I chalked it up to allergies (which I don't really have, but it was spring and peak season for it), head position, neck/shoulder tension and just overall exertion.

It seems to have mostly resolved itself. Hydrating and eating something salty after these long rides might have something to do with it. I've recently discovered that I don't replace salt enough during long training days. Skipping the post-ride beer too :-\ Maybe now that we're past allergy season helps, or maybe I'm just in better shape so the exertion is less. Who knows...??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to get headache after intense training sessions (for short bike rides, roughly 25k, >95% effort).

It got better when adding salts and minerals to the water during the training session.
Quote Reply
Re: Post workout migraines? [rikala] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, since I posted, I have focused on making sure I have enough salt/electrolytes in me. I found that drinking a gatorade before has prevented any issues. I have also noticed during workouts where I feel like one is coming on, if I drink some gatorade and take a dose or two of salt, the issue goes away. Looks like I was over hydrating with water, or just flat out under hydrating altogether that caused these issues. Have not had one since.

Thanks for all the suggestions!
Quote Reply