Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Swim speed with or without wetsuit.
Quote | Reply
I'm quite new swimmer (2.5 years), 34 years old with big sinking bike legs.

Last week I did (without wetsuit)
100 m: 1.18
200 m: 2.46

Today (with wetsuit)
100 m: 1.08
200 m: 2.31

These differences feels huge to me, is it reasonable?
How is youre differences?
I will try 400 m with wetsuit or longer soon.
Today there was few people (kids playing) in the pool, that could have affected the results
some, since its an outdoor pool.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim speed with or without wetsuit. [johan123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My pool pace with a wetsuit is about 8-10 seconds/100 faster than without. So, your differences are exactly what I have seen. But I'm a crapton slower than you. My all-in 100 yards with wetsuit on is around 1:20.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
johan123 wrote:

Is reasonable. How much advantage you get from a wetsuit depends on the precise nature of your technique flaws. If you've got a lot of things going really well, except for butt and leg buoyancy, then the wetsuit is going to nicely fix your biggest problems.

My 1500 is prob 90sec faster in a wetsuit.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3-4 seconds /100 faster for me in open water, but still not as fast as SCM pool races most of the time but who knows how well some courses are measured. The higher your hips and legs sit in the water the less the suit helps. One of things I work on is feeling the surface of the water on the back of my training suit. I'll sometimes throw an old tech suit on for some days too to allow for better feel.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Last edited by: realAB: Jun 29, 17 9:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
johan123 wrote:
I'm quite new swimmer (2.5 years), 34 years old with big sinking bike legs.

Last week I did (without wetsuit)
100 m: 1.18
200 m: 2.46

Today (with wetsuit)
200 m: 2.31

I will try 400 m with wetsuit or longer soon.
Today there was few people (kids playing) in the pool, that could have affected the results
some, since its an outdoor pool.

You're spot on! Way back when he started Quintana Roo , Slowman figured most swimmers would go 5-10 sec faster/100 m, and 30 years later, the numbers still stand. Elite swimmers, because they've already got perfect body position in the water, wouldn't gain as much as an advantage over less experienced swimmers. There are also people who go a lot faster w a wetsuit on because they don't float, have terrible stroke mechanics and body position, or are so uncomfortable in the water that they just do sidestroke or elementary backstroke.

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have found and read it should be around 10% +/-

BTW legs don't really sink by themselves. They are almost neutrally buoyant, eg with one flick of the feet the legs come up.

1. The shoulders/thoracic need to allow the chest to "drop in" or drop down. I see a lot of swimmers very tight in that upper body complex.

2. The the lower lumbar is flattened out and brings the full torso level (tip to tail). From there the legs are easily brought to the surface, doesn't matter who you are.

So it's "poor" swim posture and creates this myth about sinky legs.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
johan123 wrote:
I'm quite new swimmer (2.5 years)
Today (with wetsuit)

Sorry, as stipulated in the agreement you clicked through when you signed up for this site, adult onset swimmers who can swim 100 meters in 1:08 (wetsuit or not) are not allowed to ASK questions here. You can only answer them.

Also, we'll need to hear more about the playing kids who apparently increased your speed (if I'm reading this right, you are perplexed by the huge speedup, which may in turn have been affected by the kids...in the faster swim, not the slower one...so I'm going to guess that they were mostly doing continuous cannonballs right behind you, causing waves that pushed you forward. Which makes plenty of sense, it happens a lot especially this time of year, and yes, that might explain some of the speedup, but only about 2-3 seconds per hundred)
Quote Reply