Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best professional wrestling heel in years
Quote | Reply
This is brilliant.

Quote:
It was a strange sight, even for the “sport” of professional wrestling.
A wrestler holding a microphone faced an Appalachian crowd before a match and began unleashing a torrent of insults, the nature of which seemed out of place at a pro wrestling tournament.

“I understand now why you all identify with country music. It’s slow and it’s simple and it’s boring, just like each and every one of you.”

As the crowd grew increasing hostile, the wrestler’s remarks became more politically tinged.

“You know what, I think Bernie Sanders would make a great secretary of state.”

“I want to exchange your bullets for bullet points. Bullet points of knowledge.”

He even called Donald Trump a “con man.” The crowd exploded in jeers. “Shut up,” someone yelled.

Strange, indeed. But then, the muscular man’s shirt read, “Not My President.”

Meet the wrestler who goes by the name “Progressive Liberal” Dan Richards, the most hated character in Kentucky’s Appalachian Mountain Wrestling (AMW) program, a small professional wrestling circuit.

Professional wrestling has long included villain characters called heels, someone for the audience to cheer against. Traditionally, though, these are burly, angry men who do “evil” things such as pledging allegiance to the devil or sneak-attacking other wrestlers with chairs and ladders. He’s burly enough, at 6 feet 5 inches tall. But he praises not the devil but Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders.

This might be the first case when a character became a villain by espousing liberal dogma. And it seems to be working — he’s caught the attention of Deadspin, Sports Illustrated, even the right-wing Breitbart.

The latter called him “a wrestling heel for the Trump era,” and wrote, “His moves include smugness, condescension, and whining.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/...m_term=.b2000feb3842

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Last edited by: sphere: Jun 28, 17 19:53
Quote Reply
Re: Best professional wrestling heel in years [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pure genius.

If I don't, who will? -Me
It's like being bipolar in opinion is a requirement around here. -TripleThreat
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The WWE would be better off to hire this guy. Especially as a heel.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, this is great. When I followed wrestling when I was high school/college in the mid 80s, the Iron Shiek and Nikolai Volkov were the big villians where Iran and Russia were the two big enemies of the US. Remember Volkov demanding everyone stand while he sang the Russian national anthem? I do have to wonder if they really were from those countries though; once I found out that Chief Jay Strongbow was actually Sicilian, it was hard to put my faith in anything real. <pink>

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: Best professional wrestling heel in years [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brian in MA wrote:
Wow, this is great. When I followed wrestling when I was high school/college in the mid 80s, the Iron Shiek and Nikolai Volkov were the big villians where Iran and Russia were the two big enemies of the US. Remember Volkov demanding everyone stand while he sang the Russian national anthem? I do have to wonder if they really were from those countries though; once I found out that Chief Jay Strongbow was actually Sicilian, it was hard to put my faith in anything real. <pink>

I have a fellow in his mid-60s who works for me in my airline catering security shop and he was a Jimmy Hart-type heel in two different pro wrestling alliances (N.W.A. was the one in the North, and I can't remember the one in the South), going by "J.R." up north and "The Bug" down south. His real name is Royce. His clips are on YouTube and they're funny. Pure "mouth of the South" stuff and the stories he tells about the life back in the 1970s and 1980s are hilarious. (At the top of his game, he was making about a thousand dollars a night. Of course, that was easy money so it came and it went easily, too.)

What's not so hilarious are the extent of his physical injuries during that life. Good Lord, but those pro wrestlers take a beating. He walks with a limp, can't raise his right arm about his shoulder, has more scars on his knees than can be easily counted, and fingers and shoulders that he can dislocate at will.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
His particular topic may be new but what he's doing is pretty standard stuff. The easiest way to get the crowd to boo is to insult them or someone they like. And also to tell the crowd that they are beneath you.

Brett Hart used this tactic in the 90s when he presented himself as superior to Americans because he was Canadian.

Hunter Hearst Helmsley did this. Mr. Perfect did this. The Genius (Leaping Lanny Poffo) did this.

I can probably think of a bunch of others if I put my mind to it.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Best professional wrestling heel in years [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My grandmother absolutely LOVED professional wrestling. We never really figured out what the allure was (for her), but she used to get whipped into such a frenzy when the "villains" would cheat, or take a break from their wrestling duties to harass the crowd.

I've mentioned it here before, but a friend of ours was the daughter of a pro wrestler, famous in the early-to-mid '80s. The stories she told about their lives outside of the ring were pretty warming, considering their personas inside of the ring.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Re: Best professional wrestling heel in years [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
   A wrestler local to me (actually a previous owner of the condo I owned when this occurred), Chris Benoit, killed his wife kid and self. I think to get the size needed, these guys take, or at least took, lots of drugs.
-
http://www.cbsnews.com/...-killed-family-self/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw somewhere that the guy really is a progressive liberal. It's not an act.

War is god
Quote Reply
Re: Best professional wrestling heel in years [Crank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crank wrote:
I saw somewhere that the guy really is a progressive liberal. It's not an act.

He may be but I guarantee that it's a massive exaggeration of his actual persona.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Best professional wrestling heel in years [Crank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, he said it's basically an amplification of his own views. But it really doesn't matter. Or shouldn't, anyway.

You have to appreciate the meta element going on here. He's playing a character for fans who love these characters, and insulting them the way the classic WWF heels always did, by calling them stupid and simple, and they're basically proving him right with the real life threats.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply