Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Serena Williams [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Twotter wrote:
I grew up playing tennis...trained at a high level tennis academy (subtle brag). I had a roommate in college that had been on the men's tour (ATP) but mostly bounced around in the lower level circuit tournaments. Never had a high ranking, didn't last long. By the time I knew him, he was a club pro at the club in Charleston, SC where a WTP tournament was held each year. He was selected to be Serena's hitting partner that week. I went to watch the first day for their practice session. He hit a mid-120s kicker serve to Serena and she just stood there and looked dumbfounded. She immediately told him that hitting that type of serve to her wouldn't help her warm up or practice...that no one on the WTP hit anything remotely close to that. She asked for flat or minimal slice second serves only from him (what would be a 1st serve from a WTP player).

She looked dumbfounded because your buddy was being an idiot. His job was to practice with her, not to make her look stupid. Maybe she could have returned it but she didn't bother trying.

I play floor hockey goalie sometimes. Once in a while in warm up people fire shots at my head. I usually walk away from the net when they do.

You're right...his job was to practice with her...which he did by being able to deliver exactly what she was looking for, every time, without missing. But when she tells him at the outset to hit a normal first serve...I don't think that she was expecting that he was once a low level pro tour player that has the ability to serve in the 130s. She was dumbfounded b/c she wasn't expecting it and likely didn't see it as it went by. She never sees that kind of serve...hence why he adapted to hitting a basic second serve to allow her to practice what she sees as first serves from the other women on tour. My point is that she would get beat, even by someone like by roommate, b/c he has the distinct advantage of throwing shots and serves at her that she never sees, isn't used to, and doesn't have the years of experience to return.
Quote Reply
Re: Serena Williams [mr. mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mr. mike wrote:
Celerius wrote:
I think most everyone is in agreement that Federer would destroy Williams. The question is how to convince my wife of this. Here's my plan. My wife is a very competitive tennis player. She has a 3.5 ranking, a coach, is in a number of different leagues, and plays at least twice a week. She started playing in high school. I've never played and don't own a tennis racket (or is it a tennis racquet...see, I really don't know anything). But I'm reasonably athletic (current USAT score is a 73). My plan is to challenge my wife to a match, but I would first get two weeks to learn the rules, buy a racket, and get a few lessons. The winner would acknowledge the other as being correct in the Federer-Williams debate.

On second thought, this could be a very bad plan...

How hot is your wife?

This seems like a hell of lot of effort. My girlfriend in high school was considered a fast athlete (field hockey and softball), I was a slow offensive lineman/linebacker. She thought she was faster than me, but it took all of about 10 seconds to disabuse her of that notion :)
Quote Reply
Post deleted by spudone [ In reply to ]
Re: Serena Williams [Twotter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is an example of a female soft ball pitcher striking out a MLB player in the sports gene and its ximply because ball players never see soft ball pitches.
Quote Reply
Re: Serena Williams [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
There is an example of a female soft ball pitcher striking out a MLB player in the sports gene and its ximply because ball players never see soft ball pitches.
I was about to reference the exact same thing. Jenny Finch, vs some of the best baseball players of a generation--of all-time even. Some backstory:
http://www.eugenewei.com/...ed-mlbs-best-hitters

I think what Serena may have experienced was along the same lines: MLB hitters are used to 60'6" of ball travel time and pitches coming at 90-95mph. Finch's softball, from much closer, throws off their timing entirely, to the point the best hitters in baseball can't touch it because their hand-eye / brain-muscle synapses are used to a longer path to the plate. For Serena, if she's used to a flatter 105 mph serve and gets a 125mph kicker it'll be a shock, both the speed of the serve but mostly the speed-pop of it.
Quote Reply
Re: Serena Williams [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
Twotter wrote:
BLeP wrote:
Twotter wrote:
I grew up playing tennis...trained at a high level tennis academy (subtle brag). I had a roommate in college that had been on the men's tour (ATP) but mostly bounced around in the lower level circuit tournaments. Never had a high ranking, didn't last long. By the time I knew him, he was a club pro at the club in Charleston, SC where a WTP tournament was held each year. He was selected to be Serena's hitting partner that week. I went to watch the first day for their practice session. He hit a mid-120s kicker serve to Serena and she just stood there and looked dumbfounded. She immediately told him that hitting that type of serve to her wouldn't help her warm up or practice...that no one on the WTP hit anything remotely close to that. She asked for flat or minimal slice second serves only from him (what would be a 1st serve from a WTP player).

She looked dumbfounded because your buddy was being an idiot. His job was to practice with her, not to make her look stupid. Maybe she could have returned it but she didn't bother trying.

I play floor hockey goalie sometimes. Once in a while in warm up people fire shots at my head. I usually walk away from the net when they do.

You're right...his job was to practice with her...which he did by being able to deliver exactly what she was looking for, every time, without missing. But when she tells him at the outset to hit a normal first serve...I don't think that she was expecting that he was once a low level pro tour player that has the ability to serve in the 130s. She was dumbfounded b/c she wasn't expecting it and likely didn't see it as it went by. She never sees that kind of serve...hence why he adapted to hitting a basic second serve to allow her to practice what she sees as first serves from the other women on tour. My point is that she would get beat, even by someone like by roommate, b/c he has the distinct advantage of throwing shots and serves at her that she never sees, isn't used to, and doesn't have the years of experience to return.

Well, I suspect it was mostly just not being familiar with the person on the other side of the net. Serena can handle pace on serves pretty well because she has a lifetime of practicing against her sister. But the spin might be another story.

Serena has no practice against 130mph and higher serves, because the women (even her sister) simply don't serve at that speed. The record fastest serve by a woman in competition is 131. Venus' highest ever was 129. Serena's record is 128. For comparison, the 30th highest men's fastest is 144. She doesn't have a lifetime of practicing against that kind of pace.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Serena Williams [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
mr. mike wrote:
Celerius wrote:
I think most everyone is in agreement that Federer would destroy Williams. The question is how to convince my wife of this. Here's my plan. My wife is a very competitive tennis player. She has a 3.5 ranking, a coach, is in a number of different leagues, and plays at least twice a week. She started playing in high school. I've never played and don't own a tennis racket (or is it a tennis racquet...see, I really don't know anything). But I'm reasonably athletic (current USAT score is a 73). My plan is to challenge my wife to a match, but I would first get two weeks to learn the rules, buy a racket, and get a few lessons. The winner would acknowledge the other as being correct in the Federer-Williams debate.

On second thought, this could be a very bad plan...

How hot is your wife?

This seems like a hell of lot of effort. My girlfriend in high school was considered a fast athlete (field hockey and softball), I was a slow offensive lineman/linebacker. She thought she was faster than me, but it took all of about 10 seconds to disabuse her of that notion :)

I blame all those GRRRRL POWER!! action movies. The ones where the 94-pound woman beats the hell out of the 200-pound man. Not gonna happen in real life, same as in women's tennis pros versus men's tennis pros.

But the movies have given some women the mistaken impression that -- like the lady who beats up the big guy in an action movie -- they have a shot in a sport like tennis or swimming, or anything of a real physical nature, against an equally well-trained male. ;-)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply

Prev Next