Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Homeowner insurance claim processing/repair question
Quote | Reply
Long story short, we had a few wicked hail storms in our area over the last few years. Neighbor had their home inspected and the roof and siding met criteria for replacement. Claim processed, repairs/replacement done. Same contractor inspected our house with the Allstate claims inspector, Allstate guy says siding sustained damage, roof is fine. Sends me the report. I call Allstate the next day asking about my options; I say I don't want to file a claim because we may sell the house and the siding, being freshly repainted last year, doesn't look too bad. He says the inspection triggers compensation when there's damage found, and whether or not I use the money to replace the siding is my business. We'd been debating on whether to replace the ugly, stained, trampled but structurally sound roof anyway, which costs roughly half of the replacement cost for siding. So, I decide that we'll use some of the money to replace the roof first, then replace the siding out of pocket if and when the time comes.

Allstate sends the check. Wife goes to deposit it, bank says it needs to be cosigned by mortgage company. She calls the mortgage company, which says it can either be done in person in West Virginia (um, no) or mailed to Atlanta, and that it will require post-replacement inspection, along with some other documentation (wife took the call while juggling kids and dinner, had to cut it short). Haven't called for further specifics yet, but why would the mortgage company get involved with the transaction if Allstate is paying it out, and why would they need to if, as the agent said, once they compensate you for the damage, subsequent repair/replacement is on you, regardless of where the money comes from? Is there a risk of fraud investigation if I use the cash for another home improvement project first? I can't imagine so, given what Allstate told me about the process.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Homeowner insurance claim processing/repair question [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What they don't want is a major claim, the homeowner cash the check, not do the repairs, and potentially the mortgage holder getting a house back that is not only a repo but with now with unprepared damage as well.

All they are doing is protecting their collateral. Nothing to see here, move along folks.
Quote Reply
Re: Homeowner insurance claim processing/repair question [daleagain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok. So...what happens when I don't send them proof of replacement?

Quote Reply
Re: Homeowner insurance claim processing/repair question [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While I'm not a 100% sure on this I believe that if you have an incident next time for the siding again and you didn't fix it you are SOL. They won't cover it again and also any future claims for other areas they don't cut you a check. Instead you have to submit contractor bids and invoices for them to pay directly as the money cannot go through you.

I had a roof claim about 6 years ago and I asked the adjuster what would happen I decided to keep the money and do nothing. Can't recall every exact detail but that is what I can remember. Double check though to confirm. He did say if you find a place for less money than the check they cut I could keep it. If it was more expensive submit the invoice and they'll pay out the short amount.

If it were me I'd just fix the siding. Even if you are going to sell the place, it is not your money replacing it and that helps resale value to know there is new siding. But, I already have a roof that looks fine but my siding is a bit worn in places and I don't want to pay for it now.
Last edited by: loxx0050: Jun 28, 17 13:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The mortgage company has an interest to maintain the value of the collateral until the loan is paid. All the bank knows at this point is you have claimed siding damage, which could theoretically reduce the value of the collateral. You should check your mortgage contract and/or ask the bank to directly explain your options. I wouldn't think pocketing earmarked funds is an option at this point, but perhaps applying them to capital improvement project(s) might be a way to even out the value of the collateral? Worth a conversation.
Quote Reply
Re: Homeowner insurance claim processing/repair question [loxx0050] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
While I'm not a 100% sure on this I believe that if you have an incident next time for the siding again and you didn't fix it you are SOL.

Correct. We are planning to replace both, if we stay in the home, but the curb appeal of the home will be improved with a new roof far more so than new siding, which along with the trim was recently painted. We have been compensated for damage (cosmetic) sustained to the aluminum siding, and not for the roof. When it's time to do the siding, we'll pay out of pocket. So all of the money will go back into the structure. Allstate says there's no problem with that plan whatsoever, or even if we decided not to replace the siding at all.

Quote Reply