Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Olympic distance race coming up. what bike to use?
Quote | Reply
I have an Olympic coming up in a week and a half. The course description is hilly and Technical. Do I ride my felt AR with Aero bars or my Cervelo P3. The AR climbs better and I'm more comfortable on it as the P3 is newer to me. What say you?
Last edited by: Fishbum: Jun 28, 17 8:33
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic distance race coming up period what bike to use? [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
how steep are the ascent/descents?

I use NYC's central park as my gauge, it's about 1,100 ft. for 40km and I still find a good amount of savings on the tri bike so I estimate 2,000 ft. or more in a 40k, I would use a road bike UNLESS the climbs and descents were so steep/technical that the handling of a road would be better, which I think is rare

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Last edited by: hadukla: Jun 28, 17 8:12
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic distance race coming up period what bike to use? [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is it as hilly as this:

https://connect.garmin.com/.../activity/1776404935

or this:

https://connect.garmin.com/.../activity/1776405014

A tri bike is faster on those courses
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic distance race coming up period what bike to use? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
Is it as hilly as this:

https://connect.garmin.com/.../activity/1776404935

or this:

https://connect.garmin.com/.../activity/1776405014

A tri bike is faster on those courses

I can't get a exact amount of climbing that there will be but I know there are some descents with no passes owns and sharp turns at the bottom. The only reason I was considering the felt AR is that I climb better on it and with the seatpost reversed and the Aero bars I can get a quasi decent TT fit
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depending on which size P3 you have, the bike has between 59 and 61mm of trail so it's really more road bike-ish than other tri bikes so it should turn really well.

But if you feel more confident riding the AR right now then you should ride that for a course you feel might have challenging turns.
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic distance race coming up period what bike to use? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My P3 is a 56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
61mm of ground trail. Still road bike-ish.

If the course is just a constant bunch of climbs and descents then the road bike may be an option but your tri bike will likely handle just as well.

If the course has any flat sections to it, which it likely has, I would pick the tri bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
61mm of ground trail. Still road bike-ish.

If the course is just a constant bunch of climbs and descents then the road bike may be an option but your tri bike will likely handle just as well.

If the course has any flat sections to it, which it likely has, I would pick the tri bike.

I've only been cycling a few years and I'm unfamiliar with the term ground Trail
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't find it's the climbing on a tri bike that is the problem; it's the descending. Never feel that happy so far forward, at high speed, without the drops to brace against. often feel like I'm a millisecond from my hands sliding straight off the ends of the base bar under heavy braking...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://trikes.bikernet.com/...ion_terminology.aspx

Usually its just referred to as "trail" without the "ground".

Its the distance between the intersection of the steering axis with the ground and the tire contact patch center. The farther aft the tires contact patch (more trail), the more sluggish/heavy/unresponsive the steering will be. Visualize a Chopper style motorcycle. Conversely, the more forward the contact patch the more quick/light/responsive the steering will be. A road bike is really a perfect example of this, with its nearly vertical fork/steering axis.
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic distance race coming up. what bike to use? [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
The AR climbs better and I'm more comfortable...

There is your answer. A rider is almost always faster on a bike they are more comfortable on. If you can't relax and push the bike to the limit the gains for aero are lost.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://en.wikipedia.org/..._motorcycle_geometry

Most people say tri bikes don't handle well because they have too much trail, (and wheelbase) this really depends on who's opinion you subscribe to.

My opinion:
A bike with near 55-57mm of trail is a very responsive bike. It will turn well/smooth/quickly into corners and respond quickly.

A bike with 65mm of trail will be very easy to ride straight and will resist turning a little bit. My issue with a bike with a lot of trail is the bike will resist turning until you try to do a 180 on the road and the bike dives while you're half way through the turn.

I have a Felt DA which has 66mm of trail and it's very smooth while riding straight and around long sweeping turns, the bike rides really easy.
I have a Cervelo P2 which has 59mm of trail and it's fairly nimble, turns well/predictable around corners but is kind of "wiggly" on long sweeping turns and riding straight.

Which one is better is a matter of opinion. Your P3 is fairly nimble for a tri bike (turns predictably well) and for that reason would make it more desirable for a technical bike course.
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic distance race coming up period what bike to use? [Greg66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 I feel the same way
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic distance race coming up period what bike to use? [Greg66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Greg66 wrote:
I don't find it's the climbing on a tri bike that is the problem; it's the descending. Never feel that happy so far forward, at high speed, without the drops to brace against. often feel like I'm a millisecond from my hands sliding straight off the ends of the base bar under heavy braking...
I have the same issue. I can descend 5-10 mph faster on my road bike than my tri bike. I feel like I have more control with my hands in the drops near the brakes that on aero bars. I also am more tucked in riding in the drops than I am up on the base bar near the brakes of my tri bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic distance race coming up period what bike to use? [happyscientist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I see course descriptions for Triathlons as being "Technical" it's usually not that technical, especially to someone who's skilled on a road bike or mountain bike. If you can post a Garmin file or Strava file with the actual course that may help with better feedback.

Keep in mind that if you have a road bike with clip-ons, you have to get out of aero every time you want to shift.

For courses that have steep ascents right after turns etc. it is handy with a road bike as it's easier to shift while you're ascending.

If the course in question has long gradual ascents it can still favor the tri bike as you can stay aero while going up hill. Keep in mind that time you're ascending is much greater than the time you are descending.
Quote Reply