Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Laptop Stolen From Room at Hilton Caribe During Puerto Rico 70.3
Quote | Reply
This is a late post. We were hoping for an acceptable resolution from the Hilton management. They have washed their hands of any accountability. Just so everyone knows:

I took my family there for the race and made the decision to stay at a nice place. We decided to go off property for dinner one of the nights. When we returned my work laptop was gone. I left it on the desk. We contacted hotel security as soon as we learned.

Their 'records' showed no evidence of room access other than the key that was issued at check-in.

Management's only response was for us to deal with their insurance company.

The insurance company says that we could have forged whole event in order to get compensated. Their position is that the laptop should have been placed in the room safe. After explaining that it did not fit, they indicated that we should have called down and requested a larger safe.

Over 4 days, we spent > $2k with nightly rate, meals, etc.

Zero respect, no accountability and unprofessional handling through the whole thing.
Last edited by: Schonner: Jun 28, 17 6:15
Quote Reply
Re: Laptop Stolen From Room at Hilton Caribe During Puerto Rico 70.3 [Schonner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That really sucks.

I'm still waiting for someone to steal one of our company laptops so I can finally use LoJack.
Quote Reply
Re: Laptop Stolen From Room at Hilton Caribe During Puerto Rico 70.3 [TryScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sounds like your insurance company sucks... Why would they even ask if it was in the safe? It was in a locked hotel room. Your best bet would be to file a police report and the police would be able to initiate an investigation which would allow them to subpoena any video.... Assuming the hotel has cameras in the halls.

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Re: Laptop Stolen From Room at Hilton Caribe During Puerto Rico 70.3 [Im-a-miler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We were dealing with the Hilton Caribe's insurance company. The hotel does not have video monitoring the room entrance halls. Likely an inside job.
Quote Reply
Re: Laptop Stolen From Room at Hilton Caribe During Puerto Rico 70.3 [Schonner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Similar experience dealing with an airline when their flight attendant spilled a whole glass of juice onto our laptop (no it was not turbulence she was just a klutz). Lots of sorrys and feel good promises up front, then 'contact our insurance' after we've landed, then insurance stonewalled us and demanded proof the incident occurred and then stopped getting back to us all together. In the end I fixed the laptop myself and didn't cost us anything but my time.

I hide phones and tablets under bedding or behind hotel curtains. Thinking is, that would be a quick crime of opportunity and an inside job. The hotel employees aren't going to search the room - they will only grab what's out in plain sight.
Last edited by: Dilbert: Jun 28, 17 12:44
Quote Reply
Re: Laptop Stolen From Room at Hilton Caribe During Puerto Rico 70.3 [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I grew up in PR. The island is great, the people are nice, food is awesome although not too healthy, and then there is the rum... There are many good things I can say about the island.

That said, never trust leaving your property "unprotected". I'm my 25 years in the island, I was stolen 2 bikes from my house and 1 bike from college campus (it was locked to one of those bike parking racks) on a very transited area.

I was also stolen a 1998 Mitsubishi Mirage (almost new at the time) parked in front of my house.

I'm Not trying to put down the island but if you want to enjoy your experience there be on the lookout and trust no one. Misplaced/unprotected items have a tendency to disappear. Now that the economic crisis is full blown expect more crime.

As I'm a Puertorrican, I apologize for your troubles.
Last edited by: mistyped: Jun 28, 17 13:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You left a laptop out in a hotel room and it got stolen. Doesn't sound shocking.
I would never expect any hotel to replace it. Hilton is usually a respected company. I am a bit surprised they were not more helpful.
What do you expect from posting this?

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Re: Laptop Stolen From Room at Hilton Caribe During Puerto Rico 70.3 [Karl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
More than likely there are some bad apples in that hotel. I'm sure the hallway video camera wasn't "working" that day.
Quote Reply
Re: Laptop Stolen From Room at Hilton Caribe During Puerto Rico 70.3 [Karl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Karl wrote:
You left a laptop out in a hotel room and it got stolen. Doesn't sound shocking.
I would never expect any hotel to replace it. Hilton is usually a respected company. I am a bit surprised they were not more helpful.
Karl - I gotta ask, your response suggests that you expect that your personal property will be stolen from a locked 5 star hotel room?

I take precautions with expensive equipment when I travel, but if I forget and leave an ipad or cell phone on a table, I would be shocked if it got stolen from a first class hotel like the Hilton.
Quote Reply
Re: Laptop Stolen From Room at Hilton Caribe During Puerto Rico 70.3 [mistyped] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mistyped wrote:
More than likely there are some bad apples in that hotel. I'm sure the hallway video camera wasn't "working" that day.

Was wondering why there was no mention of cameras. All they said was no other card was used. Firstly I may be wrong but I believe you can make identical key cards. Secondly, I wonder if you can delete information like that from the system? And lastly, what if the door didn't close properly or something similar. I'm sure they have cameras, whether or not they work is a tougher question.
Quote Reply
Re: Laptop Stolen From Room at Hilton Caribe During Puerto Rico 70.3 [Apollo71] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do ask myself where is this hotel located. Something's are very worth stealing. I would have hidden or put it in a safe. Still sorry it happened.
Why is this one a Tri forum?

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Karl wrote:
I do ask myself where is this hotel located. Something's are very worth stealing. I would have hidden or put it in a safe. Still sorry it happened.

Maybe as a warning/PSA to future entrants of the same race who may not be as all-knowing as yourself?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Karl wrote:

To flush out the D-bags that ask stupid questions
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Karl wrote:
This is the one thing I don't like about this sport. Too many douchebags. Way more in tri community than any other group I identify with.

Dude what the hell kind of a response is that?!
Quote Reply
Re: Laptop Stolen From Room at Hilton Caribe During Puerto Rico 70.3 [Kylek42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Inside job... Look no more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Karl wrote:

5 star hotel in one of the best areas...
Quote Reply
Re: Laptop Stolen From Room at Hilton Caribe During Puerto Rico 70.3 [mistyped] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had my overnight bag "misplaced" in a Hilton in Little Rock, and my sister had an expensive pair of glasses stolen out of her room out west.

We both contacted Hilton execs when local leadership failed to address our concerns.

They had us submit receipts for replacements, and sent us checks.
Quote Reply
Re: Laptop Stolen From Room at Hilton Caribe During Puerto Rico 70.3 [greenlawnracing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
greenlawnracing wrote:
I had my overnight bag "misplaced" in a Hilton in Little Rock, and my sister had an expensive pair of glasses stolen out of her room out west.

We both contacted Hilton execs when local leadership failed to address our concerns.

They had us submit receipts for replacements, and sent us checks.

We just chalked it up as bad luck. What bothered the most was the blatant disregard to accepting any accountability whatsoever. Not even an apology. Their position was accusatory for not taking preventative measures. Use my experience if it helps those that register for the event. The Caribe is the central location for the race.
Last edited by: Schonner: Jun 28, 17 17:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never been to Puerto Rico and don't know the area at all. This always makes me a bit suspicious.
I stay at Hilton fairly often and this is surprising.
I apologize if I came off like a douchebag. Sometimes I just write and was not as sensitive as Dilbert would like.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply