Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

32 cassette on a short cage mech
Quote | Reply
So I know the shimano docs for my rear mech (7970 Di2 - ten speed short cage) say I should only go up to 25t on my sprocket but I tried it with 28 and it was fine so I went further and tried it with an 11-32 and it still works fine. Indexed perfectly and it runs up and down the cassette with no issues.

Is there any risk to carrying on with this setup? Why would a medium cage derailleur be any better?

I've got Ironman UK in less than three weeks and want to stay with my 1x front setup but it means i'll need the 32 on the back. If this is something I shouldnt be doing I need to swap back to a 2x setup!
Quote Reply
Re: 32 cassette on a short cage mech [Dan The Man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't foresee any issues with 1x. 2x can get sketchy because you can get slack in the chain in small to small if not sized just right and you can get the chain too short real easy in big to big if not sized right. I've run DA9000 with 11-32 and 2x no problem. I'd think chain sizing with 1x would be real easy and no problems at all.

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been running a 1x setup with a short cage Ultegra Di2 rear derailleur and 11-32 cassette. No problems for me thus far, including in my last two races (both hilly enough to require the 32 at times).

I own a Wolftooth RoadLink and was fully intending to install it, but tried my setup without the RoadLink and it has been working so well that I've never bothered.

I'm on a P5-6 if that makes any difference, and am using an elliptical 52T chainring up front.
Quote Reply
Re: 32 cassette on a short cage mech [wilburforce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like we have similar setups although my front chainring is standard round. Good to know it works thank you.

I was aware of the wolftooth but I didn't want to overcomplicate the drivetrain when the main point of 1x for me was to simplify it!

From a bit of further reading it appears the cage length is mainly to accommodate large chain wraps and a 1x setup negates this to a certain extent

Thanks all, full test ride on IMUK's steepest climb this evening so I'll soon know if it's a go or not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're absolutely fine. The cage length doesn't have anything to do with the max cog size in back. I ran 11-32 with a short cage Ultegra and 105 RD on my CX bike in a 1x configuration for the last two seasons of cx racing. The mechanical and di2 jockey wheels/cages are in the same spots. The replacement parts in the Shimano catalog back that up. I tried an 11-36 cassette once and it fit, but wasn't real smooth. I throw in a Roadlink and use an 11-40 cassette (and another chain) for long, steep gravel stuff.

The only thing the medium cage does is handle more chain which is more useful in a 2x application. If your chain was too long by a couple links with a short cage and you swapped in a medium cage, it would take up the slack since it's longer. Bit of an oversimplification, but there ya go.
Last edited by: dangle: Jun 28, 17 12:48
Quote Reply
Re: 32 cassette on a short cage mech [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jrielley wrote:
Just get this and you should be good. https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...on/products/roadlink

Jeremy, there's no reason to get one of those unless he's playing around with a 36 or 40 large ring in the back. Another thing to note (to those thinking of grabbing one) is the Roadlink is ultra sensitive to hanger alignment. It has to be perfect to work like a champ.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The RD-7970 can officially handle up to a 27 tooth cog.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I run a 30T with a short SRAM derailleur without any problem. Shimano are known to have a bit more tolerance, so I expect a 32T would be fine. Can depend a lot on the bike and its hanger though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not the best night / weather for a ride around here ...

Have fun !

WD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: 32 cassette on a short cage mech [cmscat50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cmscat50 wrote:
I don't foresee any issues with 1x. 2x can get sketchy because you can get slack in the chain in small to small if not sized just right and you can get the chain too short real easy in big to big if not sized right. I've run DA9000 with 11-32 and 2x no problem. I'd think chain sizing with 1x would be real easy and no problems at all.

I thought one always sized a chain to be the longest that one's small/small allowed. I.E. the longest that rubbing where the chain passes through the derailleur (or on it's jockey wheels) with where the chain returns to the chainrings. What have I missed?
Quote Reply
Re: 32 cassette on a short cage mech [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You've missed nothing for 1x. For 2x with a short mech depending on setup (some might use a Wolf Tooth Road link) it can get sketchy. But for 1x yes....straight forward I'd think.

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Re: 32 cassette on a short cage mech [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FatandSlow wrote:
I thought one always sized a chain to be the longest that one's small/small allowed. I.E. the longest that rubbing where the chain passes through the derailleur (or on it's jockey wheels) with where the chain returns to the chainrings. What have I missed?

Generally it's big ring + big ring + two outer and two inner links. This is usually stuck to tightly for a bike meant to be ridden off the pavement.

Your suggestion is often used in the TT community. I do that on my tri/tt bike and the big+big+4 on my other bikes.
Last edited by: dangle: Jun 28, 17 12:46
Quote Reply
Re: 32 cassette on a short cage mech [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting. While I am a TT guy, thats a later in life thing. I first learned the small/small approach in 1970... when I rode a Peugeot U08 and TT bikes didn't exist.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
as long as your chain is long enough and you can clear it.. I run 9070Di2 short cage on multiple bikes. My Parlee Z5SLi will not fit a 32T, but 30T is fine. My wife's Madone6 can fit the 32T just fine. So frame and dropouts add to the equation.. but the shimano short cage can indeed handle 32T.
Quote Reply