Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironman nutrition = do I need water or gel+iso drink enough?
Quote | Reply
Hello, i am doing Roth in 10 days and I will carry all my nutrition since they do not have special needs bag on the bike.
I plan to fill a 750 ml bottle with gel, then I will have between the arms water system.
I am wondering if I should fill it with iso drink therefore going only with iso drinks and gels or do I need to fill it with water and carry a second bottle for iso drink?
Can you do the race only with iso and gel or do you need water as well?
Thanks for the feed back
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman nutrition = do I need water or gel+iso drink enough? [ppkestrel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what have you done in training? at this point.... that would be the best advise i can give you 10 days out..... not the time to change everything...do as you did in the past.

yes you can do the race on gel and iso drink....but you will have to sip little quantity of gels at the time....and i think for most...it would be easier to combine taking gels with water and then reverting to iso drink in between gels shots....

a

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman nutrition = do I need water or gel+iso drink enough? [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi, so far I was doing gel, Iso and water + gels but it was individuals gels so I was not carrying a bottle full of gels.
I think it is safer but heavier to have one bottle of iso, one bottle of gel and water on the aerrobars hydration system
Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman nutrition = do I need water or gel+iso drink enough? [ppkestrel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I second jonnyo. Wrong time to change anything.

My bike plan is similar to your thinking, I bring 2 750ml bottles with me on the 112. Each has 6 gels and 4 scoops HEED dissolved into water - 1000 cal each, I have the breakout somewhere. I drink 1/5 a bottle every 10 miles starting at mile 10 and keep only water in my BTA, which I try to drink dry every 15/20 miles or so, depends on the weather, but I will top it off at every bottle handoff - only water. I have done half sips in 5 mile increments as well. The ability to absorb the concentrate is key, water is your friend, don't neglect it, if you do something similar don't neglect it, my .02.

Regards,
J. Smith
Last edited by: jsmith82: Jun 27, 17 12:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
safer is the best approach at the full distance.... a extra bottle on the bike is most of the time the best choice.

good luck!

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I carry 3 bottles in an IM: one with gels, one with water to drink with the gel and finally one with iso for when I'm thirsty. This works very well.

I definitely do not drink plane water because I have to piss then constantly. I heared once that taking gel with iso is just too much, gels should be taken with plane water.
Quote Reply