Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Core Diet for Weight Loss [Barlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Correct. As in veins over entire body including abs. I absolutely agree it's not sustainable. Absolutely I'll add a few pounds after race season.

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Re: Core Diet for Weight Loss [randomtriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
randomtriguy wrote:
best advice ive seen....

Agree with this... I was 265lbs. in 2009 and I'm currently floating between 170-175lbs. Cleaned up my diet, eat less, mostly dairy free, stay away from sugar... it's not a diet for me but rather a lifestyle. I also exercise consistent and compete in triathlons.

My daughter went on Paleo about two years ago to help with her asthma and she's lost a good amount of weight... she's also doing less steroids/inhalers/etc. stuff to help with her asthma.

I'm not a super smart dietitian, but how much you eat and what you eat are important in many ways. Good luck with the weight loss!
Quote Reply
Re: Core Diet for Weight Loss [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think cutting dairy is always a good start for most folk to maintain a calorie deficit.

I need to try the no eating after 8pm for me I think. Just push through the hunger/habit barrier for a few weeks of that.

Iv lost 4 stone over the past 20 months but still go 2 to go!! This is where the rubber meets the road!!
Quote Reply
Re: Core Diet for Weight Loss [randomtriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Creating a calorie deficit is not the hard part, IMO. You can have a calorie deficit eating doughnuts and ice cream if you want.

The difficult part is having a calorie deficit AND optimally fuelling training and racing AND getting all the necessary nutrients to be healthy.

Quote Reply
Re: Core Diet for Weight Loss [tristorm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For most people its maintaining a calorie deficit that's the difficult part.

No one really likes to feel hungry unless they have physiological issues!!! Its not in our nature to be happy with hunger.
Quote Reply
Re: Core Diet for Weight Loss [Mario S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah that can take an adjustment- I think Matt Fitzgerald has written about re-learning the signs of true hunger and the ability to stop eating when full (like we all used to do as children).

Quote Reply
Re: Core Diet for Weight Loss [TriangleIL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So here's what I do. I generally modify the calories in this based on my activity level. However here are a few tidbits I've picked up in the last 6 months or so regarding how closely I need to eat to activity level.

1. It seems that my body stays on "high burn" even while tapering. Or especially after a hard workout. As in if I take a day off I can't just eat to my 2300 base very easily. I still need additional calories above it to feel decent even if zero workout. Same after a very hard or long session. Say the day after a 100 miler. Again I almost find myself over-eating those days just to feel decent. Otherwise I'm horribly hungry. I also always try to overeat if anything the day or 2 before a race. An A race you may want to stay even or over-eat slightly for a week. I'm no expert, but I can't imagine you'd want to fast going into a race. I also changed up my macros the few days before a race going from about 50% carbs to 60%+ a few days out. But again....this is all based on research and 6 months of really measuring. But it's been an extremely successful 6 months.

Everything below is based on a typical 2+ hour riding (cycling only) day. I'm averaging about 15+ hours / week so my average week day is in the 4000 calorie range. It does vary some, but this is going to be close. If needed I'll simply add in more. Generally on big days more carbs (oatmeal, energy bars / fruit....etc....and protein).

Keep in mind I weigh / measure everything. I kind of enjoy it. If I go out to eat or to a family gathering I'll try to jot things down and guess on amounts as close as I can. I don't bring a scale to a restaurant...but I could :)

Breakfast:
2-3 eggs cooked in 1/4 tbsp coconut oil
1 cup of whole oats in water with 1/4 cup raisens and lots of cinnamon
1 cup greek yogurt with 1 tbsp chia
I take fish oil capsules, d3, iron, mg, multi for vitamins
Roughly 800-1000 calories

Snack 9-10AM (YUM):
Smoothie - 2 cups frozen fruit (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries usually), 3 tbsp herseys cacoa, 1/2 serving Ironman protein powder, 1 tbsp coconut oil, 1 tbsp cream cheese. This is a 435 calorie smoothie that I will reduce in coconut / protein on real easy days.

Lunch:
2 slices Aldi Seedtastic organic bread, 2-3 tbsp peanut butter, 1 tbsp coconut oil, cinnamon. YUM!! 1/2-1 cup greek yogurt or similar, 1/8 cup almonds or pistacios, 1/2 cup blueberries if I have them, 2 cups mixed raw veggies (broccoli, carrots, cauliflower / etc). Roughly 600 calorie lunches.

Snack: Cliff bar, Chocolate brownie...almost every day. I've been trying RX bars. Love them. My team is sponsored by Amrita. I love them and use them as well. I've always been a sucker for those chocolate brownie cliffs though! About 250 calories.

Before dinner snack: 4-5 cups spinach, parmesan cheese, cilantro avacado dressing. Not many calories here, but it gets me to dinner and the spinach is good for you.

Dinner: This varies widely. I always try to have lots of veggies (2 cups+ again) and or fruit. Last night I had that and a brat and a burger (no buns). Then quinoa as well. I try to do quinoa a couple times a week, and healthy fish a couple times / week. Red meat 1-2 times. Chicken 1-2 times. Generally that's all with dinner.

After dinner snack: If I still need calories I'll try to go with oats and raisens. If I still need protein I'll go with greek yogurt generally.

On-ride nutrition. I use almost exclusively Skratch. We are sponsored by scratch. The Skratch guys are crazy scientist type...I like that. The drink is also the easiest and smoothest I've ever had. My go to food is now rice cakes. I make them myself from the Team Sky recipe and follow that except I double the sugar.

Any other questions let me know.

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Re: Core Diet for Weight Loss [tristorm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tristorm wrote:
Creating a calorie deficit is not the hard part, IMO. You can have a calorie deficit eating doughnuts and ice cream if you want....

The big problem with eating doughnuts and ice cream is not just that they're short on nutrition. It's that fatty, sugary foods make it very hard not to overeat. There are specific fat/sugar ratios that supress our "full" signal and just make us crave more. Ice cream, cheesecakes and probably most doughnuts fall onto this category. In lab tests I believe they've fed the optimum ratio to rats and they just eat themselves to death.

I've found it hard to reduce my food intake any time I've tried to re-establish a trend of weight loss. It has sometimes taken me a few false starts over a few weeks or even months but once I get going it becomes easier. Just treat it like a habit change not a transient diet. Don't give up just because you don't see the weight disappear at first. It will work.

I actually think it's a lot easier to reduce intake if you eat better quality, less processed food and make it enjoyable but in smaller portions. Don't punish yourself but avoid low quality food.
Last edited by: Ai_1: Jun 28, 17 9:36
Quote Reply
Re: Core Diet for Weight Loss [Mario S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mario S wrote:
Barlow wrote:
And nobody likes to feel hungry because, well, it's just not nice. If you can master both of those things you shouldn't have any problem losing weight.

Will

That's the real issue for me, feeling hungry. I just cant handle it, its all consuming. I guess some people just have this physiological response a bit stronger than others.

Are there foods that suppress the production of Ghrelin?
I think it's very hard for everyone at first. Once you get started it becomes easier to continue until it's not difficult at all. At least in my experience. One huge trap is to think there's such thing as failure. If you give in and eat something you'd decided you wouldn't or you put on weight despite having started to try losing it, don't make a fresh start! It should be a continuum. Just try a bit harder but don't think "Well this has been a failure so far. I'll start trying again tomorrow but I may as well stuff my face tonight!". I suggest you look at it as trying to change habits, NOT trying to change weight. The weight will look after itself once you've got the habits under control. But weight fluctuates and it's really, really, easy to get demotivated when it goes the wrong way, even though it may be no more than a short term blip. If you've changed your habits, it WILL swing back the other way again.
Quote Reply
Re: Core Diet for Weight Loss [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
I think it's very hard for everyone at first. Once you get started it becomes easier to continue until it's not difficult at all. At least in my experience.

Exactly this. In. every. way.

The hunger is transient---and seems to be proportional to the rate of change of calorie balance. In other words, when I go from neutral to a 1000 calorie deficit, I get really hungry for a couple days. But, if I ramp down from 0 to -1000 over a week or so...at the end of the week when I'm at 1000 calorie deficit I don't have the same hunger pangs. Once you habituate on a deficit level, the hunger will subside.

Ai_1 wrote:
One huge trap is to think there's such thing as failure. If you give in and eat something you'd decided you wouldn't or you put on weight despite having started to try losing it, don't make a fresh start! It should be a continuum. Just try a bit harder but don't think "Well this has been a failure so far. I'll start trying again tomorrow but I may as well stuff my face tonight!". I suggest you look at it as trying to change habits, NOT trying to change weight. The weight will look after itself once you've got the habits under control. But weight fluctuates and it's really, really, easy to get demotivated when it goes the wrong way, even though it may be no more than a short term blip. If you've changed your habits, it WILL swing back the other way again.

Again. completely agree. its the main reason I don't like "cheat days". it just resets my old habits, and "sets me back" by 1-2 days. I prefer to setup a habit, and stick with the habit <period>. But, sh*t happens---the only thing to do, is just pick up where you left off and keep-on-truckin'.

For qualification: I went from 205 lbs / 27%bf (October 2015) to 155 lbs /16 %bf (June 2016) by maintaining a 866 cal/day deficit. 12 months later: I'm 151 / 11%bf (give or take a bowl of ice-cream :-).
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Jun 28, 17 10:31
Quote Reply
Re: Core Diet for Weight Loss [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Friel's Paleo Diet for Athletes is pretty sound (besides the title.... seeing how he ends up not recommending paleo diet). It's very much in line with the Core Diet, the former preceding the latter.

For me, my strategy for some time has been to cook one big meal once a week (often once every two weeks, freezing most of it) consisting of baked vegetables (carrots, parsnips, red and yellow beets, brussel sprouts, onions, sometimes sweet potatoes, black beans, chick peas) all baked to a sweet crisp in olive oil. I cook local 100% grass fed ground beef or wild caught alaskan salmon separately, and then for lunches and dinners, I heat this mix up on the stove mixing in eggs, or the ground beef (or in the microwave at work). I reserve a rice & chicken or beef mix, the rice cooked in chicken broth and vegetable soups, for heavy training periods and keep my non-vegetable carbs down very low. I also have a breakfast mix of old fashioned rolled oats, chia seed, unsweetened coconut flakes, raisins and walnuts for breakfast in which I mix chopped apples and yogurt (the only dairy I eat, unless my gf wants cheese cooked into the stovetop reheated vegetable mix).

The prep time is ~6 hours, which includes shopping, once every two weeks. I can cook two weeks/14 days worth of food for two people (both lunches and dinners) for less than $140 (that includes the breakfast mix, meat, eggs & oil), so less than $3 per meal, and yeah, everything's organic & shit.

When at the store, I don't buy junk, so it's never in the house.

The purpose and resulting success maintaining low body fat even while in a phd program has been that I always have incredibly healthy food on hand & there's a pretty large price incentive. I'm never put in a position where going out to eat, ordering food or going to the store for not so healthy food is a more convenient option. And I think that is the key to success in this regard: having a strategy in place where the opportunity cost always favors eating healthy and in a way that adheres to your diet objectives and desires.

Counting Calories & the Scale: I do not count calories or weight myself. I just won't. the people I've seen do this have often developed eating disorders (dated some D1 female runners) and/or the control-orientation needed for a diet leaks unhealthily into other areas of the person's behavior and even personality; and my friends who've gone this route were pretty adamant and stubborn and even angry when I suggested that this may not be the best approach, but here's the thing: they aren't doing it any longer or at least have taken a long break from using those strategies of counting and weighing[one person still has an eating disorder, but so does her mother and sister, so it's a more complicated issue of life-control]. Those strategies aren't sustainable and they are not psychologically healthy. I'm 38 now and I've been close to the same weight since I was 17 (weight myself maybe once every three months just to gauge w/kg for cycling for when I need to procrastinate with meaningless calculations; more swimming has meant more weight due to muscle), but I do put on fat much more easily now. But, I stick to the above strategy of preparing healthy and delicious meals ahead of time and it allows me to be happy and it doesn't feel like a chore and it is sustainable.

Hacking Self regulation & Emotion Regulation: Seligman in Flourish discusses his own battles with weight loss, and he cites that diets have an 85% failure rate. Focusing on your previous and current character strengths and building on those is much more successful, and I think my above strategy capitalizes on that research-proven positive psych approach built upon recognizing that self-regulation is more obtainable when the person is actively and successfully resolving discrepancies between the person's current and desired/goal state. For me, my hierarchy of diet goals are to eat, for it to taste good, for the meal to be convenient, to feel full, for the meal to be healthy, to feel good about myself, and to look good (recognizing that I can miss a day of working out and think I look like shit, but then do a 30min run and think I suddenly look great - recognize perception is a distorted MF'r and to have a laugh about it). With each of those goals that I accomplish, I experience positive affect and that reduces future emotional, possible substrate-based and/or central governor based resources needed to successfully regulate my behavior and my emotions. This positive psych approach prevents, or at least stymies/negatively moderates, the emotional roller coaster that occurs when weighing/measuring due to goals not being met or the goal discrepancies being too disparate compared to your current state; e.g. measuring for each and every meal is not convenient and you are likely to not feel full because health foods that could be filling like baked vegetables take too long too cook, so the inconvenience drastically increases the discrepancy between your current and desired state, making the goal-achievement much more difficult and when you don't reach a goal, you experience negative affect and that begins a downward spiral of negative affect, poorer emotion regulation, leading to behavior that leads to further negative emotions.

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Last edited by: milesthedog: Jun 28, 17 12:09
Quote Reply
Re: Core Diet for Weight Loss [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good advice!

Professional Triathlete
Owner of Blake Becker Multisport Coaching LLC / Team BBMC
blakebeck@gmail.com
http://www.teambbmc.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next