Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Illness mitigation
Quote | Reply
For the second year in a row the first time I hit CTL/ATL: 75/105 I get hit with a sinus infection / cold and loose 3+ days of training.

I had a sore-throat hint a few days before & implemented my mitigation strategies but it wasn't enough to fend it off.

Couple of questions:
1) Does anyone else find they always get ill at a certain point of a build?
2) What illness mitigation strategies do you use when then first hint of illness crop's up?

For me:
1) Yep, CTL/ATL 75/105.
2) Remove intensity,
limit workouts to <60 mins,
increase food,
drink 'the cure' (fresh orange juice + ginger beer),
flush sinuses with neti pot,
increase sleep,
get anti-biotics if coughing green gunk (mitigate bronchitis)
Quote Reply
Re: Illness mitigation [SteveM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not to make it sound like I'm better than you but tbh I train through pretty much everything. This past season I had flu like symptoms for about two weeks and managed to get everything done other than cutting one track workout 2reps short. I'm also only 19 years old and running D1 Track so I kind of feel obligated to run even if I was slowly dying. Seems like you have a pretty solid plan for recovery, probably better than most. My go to drug is Claritin B and Flonase, as soon as I have migraines, slight stuffy nose, or a scratchy throat I go to Flonase in morning and night + Claritin B at night(pretty strong stuff for me, helps me sleep). I wouldn't worry too much about the time off if you choose to do so, I've found that taking a few days off (about 2-3) can be a very positive thing with training. Just make sure to think of all the benefits of having a few days to really rest from training and get excited to start again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SteveM wrote:

Couple of questions:
1) Does anyone else find they always get ill at a certain point of a build?
2) What illness mitigation strategies do you use when then first hint of illness crop's up?

1) No. But, higher training stress generally depresses your immune system and makes you more susceptible to getting sick. So, take precautions to minimize risk as you reach higher levels of TSS (was hands frequently, etc).

2) I use the "neck rule": if the symptoms are above the neck with NO FEVER, then train through with reduced intensity. Otherwise, rest. And, always drink plenty of fluids. Get tested for the flu (and vaccinated, if not already), and take Tamiflu if warranted. The vitamin C thing has been mostly disproven repeatedly to do much of anything (at best, a minor effect for a small portion of the population). So, drinking fluids (including OJ) is good, but the excess vitamins don't do crap (sorry, Dr. Pauling).

I don't like swimming when I have any type of congestion...besides I'd hate to think I got someone else sick through the water. Nor, do I like running very much in similar circumstances. So, I tend to just go ride in z1/2 as much as I feel like it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's some evidence to support the use of pro-biotics in decreasing incidence of illness.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
take a nap and go to bed early

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply