Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sigh. I Love My Hometown: "Two Shootings Injure 3 During Detroit Fireworks"
Quote | Reply
How do you help a town that seemingly doesn't want to be helped, judging by the random violence that's almost become routine at happening such as this?

When I was a boy, the Detroit fireworks show, in honor of the coming 4th of July holiday, was THE summertime event that everyone in the Metro Detroit area had to attend. Held along the banks of the Detroit River near the international crossing with Canada, from large barges stationed in the river, hundreds of thousands (maybe even a million or more) would line the waterway's banks in both countries to take in the the sights and sounds. Mostly without fear of getting shot, I suppose. SMDH.

2 shootings injure 3 during Detroit fireworks

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Sigh. I Love My Hometown: "Two Shootings Injure 3 During Detroit Fireworks" [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just got home from watching the fireworks from Canadian side. Great show. Sad people got shot. Detroit seems to be getting better from the bottom of 10 years ago. Long way to go though.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Sigh. I Love My Hometown: "Two Shootings Injure 3 During Detroit Fireworks" [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hold on. If you are going to shoot someone at a fireworks show wouldn't it behoove you to wait until the fireworks start?

Quote:
She was with family members when the shooting occurred about 9:54 p.m., a minute before the fireworks began,

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Sigh. I Love My Hometown: "Two Shootings Injure 3 During Detroit Fireworks" [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Hold on. If you are going to shoot someone at a fireworks show wouldn't it behoove you to wait until the fireworks start?

Quote:
She was with family members when the shooting occurred about 9:54 p.m., a minute before the fireworks began,

Knowing this town, my guess is they got into it over off-street parking spots. And then figured why not start their own fireworks show?

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Sigh. I Love My Hometown: "Two Shootings Injure 3 During Detroit Fireworks" [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Quote Reply
Re: Sigh. I Love My Hometown: "Two Shootings Injure 3 During Detroit Fireworks" [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Long way to go though.

.... and no plausible way to move very far forward. Economic flight is the only way to play the game.
Quote Reply
Re: Sigh. I Love My Hometown: "Two Shootings Injure 3 During Detroit Fireworks" [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The city is moving forward quite quickly. There is a ton of renovation going on downtown. Plenty of companies moving in. Rocket Fiber provides some of the fastest internet connections in a major city. Lots of new restaurants. Food trucks and a lot of people in the streets at lunch. Housing prices are starting to go up (in desirable areas for the people working downtown). They just need to gentrificate the rest of the city.
Quote Reply
Re: Sigh. I Love My Hometown: "Two Shootings Injure 3 During Detroit Fireworks" [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup. I'm a west-sider (Kalamazoo), so I'm not in Detroit a ton and not an expert on the city. Observationally speaking, it appears to be changing quite a bit and rather quickly. I was at an event at the Kresge Mansion a few months ago; this was on a street of what was full of homes of the former titans of town, most of which had fallen into complete disrepair and dilapidation, but most of which have been in process of being restored. It was beautiful and there was plenty to do around there. The area around Comerica Park & Ford Field has been slowly pushing outward with growth and repair. Each time I'm in Detroit it seems that it's looking a little better, has more residential areas springing back to life, has more to attract one to the town to hang out, has more to offer than getting in to catch a game or concert and getting back out quickly. There's still room for improvement, but it's definitely not what it used to be, in the best of ways.

efernand wrote:
The city is moving forward quite quickly. There is a ton of renovation going on downtown. Plenty of companies moving in. Rocket Fiber provides some of the fastest internet connections in a major city. Lots of new restaurants. Food trucks and a lot of people in the streets at lunch. Housing prices are starting to go up (in desirable areas for the people working downtown). They just need to gentrificate the rest of the city.
Quote Reply