Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New vs old Zipp
Quote | Reply
My wife is racing on a pair of old Zipp 808's (aluminum brake track) or 808 front/Zipp 900 rear. How much has technology moved on? Would it be a significant improvement going to Super9 and a 808FC (or 404FC)?

"Suddenly the thought struck me. My floor is someone elses ceiling"-Nils Ferlin
Quote Reply
Re: New vs old Zipp [audiojan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Buy some fast tires + latex tubes.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: New vs old Zipp [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She's using Continental GP40000SII and latex tubes already so not much to gain there...

"Suddenly the thought struck me. My floor is someone elses ceiling"-Nils Ferlin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're all set. Go fast!

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
aerodynamically, not much gain. But if she is smaller and struggles with handling in gusty winds, the Firecrest rim shape is quite noticeable in terms of stability on the deeper wheelsets. Having spent a lot of time on all of them, the 808 firecrest handles like an old 404 aluminum.

There's not much speed gain, unless you want to go with really wide tires (which it doesn't sound like is an issue for you), but the stability difference *CAN BE* meaningful, especially for women, who are quite often smaller/lighter.

And, certainly, upgrading a rear 808 to a disc can be a meaningful upgrade, though it varies by bike (to a certain extent).

But the wheels you've got are great. I put a ton of miles on those wheels in training and racing quite happily.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MUCH easier to change a flat, IMHO, on the wider Firecrests compared to the old Zipps. As a lighter male rider (150#), I definitely noticed wind more on the old 404/808 vs the Firecrests I have. Both are fast...

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sorry, unless the spokes or bearings are gone you can only blame the training
Quote Reply