Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Skyhigh Xterra in NY questions
Quote | Reply
Has anyone raced this Xterra tri at Grafton Lake in New York? It's coming up this July 15th and I'm wondering about crashing there the night before whether it be a motel or camping out. Also, any info on the bike and run would be great thanks.

Did my 1st Xterra tri this past Saturday and loved it. So different from road tri's. I'm already registered for the Syracuse Xterra in August and I'm looking to get one more in. The Skyhigh race is essentially the only other option close to New England.
Quote Reply
Re: Skyhigh Xterra in NY questions [tribuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tribuck wrote:
Has anyone raced this Xterra tri at Grafton Lake in New York? It's coming up this July 15th and I'm wondering about crashing there the night before whether it be a motel or camping out. Also, any info on the bike and run would be great thanks.

Did my 1st Xterra tri this past Saturday and loved it. So different from road tri's. I'm already registered for the Syracuse Xterra in August and I'm looking to get one more in. The Skyhigh race is essentially the only other option close to New England.

Doesn't look like there is overnight camping yet, but it looks like a beautiful location.
Here's the website: https://parks.ny.gov/parks/53/details.aspx

I did a quick Google search and found a couple of campgrounds nearby in Petersburg.

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Re: Skyhigh Xterra in NY questions [STConcierge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info. I just called the park and yes, no overnight camping. They said there are hotels in Troy, NY and camping in Cherry Plains area.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The bike and run course (at least the last time I raced there, maybe 10 years ago) was quite technical. Lots of rocks on the bike. Run was also a lot of trail. Not much in the way of hills for either. So a real X-Terra.
Quote Reply
Re: Skyhigh Xterra in NY questions [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
agree one of the more technical xterra bike courses

I stayed at the Aqua Vista Campground in Petersburg, NY in 2016

"if you chose it, it's not really pain"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty much echoing what other have said. Raced it a bunch of times, but not in the past few years. Tons of fun.

Swim: Double lap with a beach run (~100 yards) at the start and between laps. Clean water, usually wetsuit legal.

Bike: Not much elevation gain, but some pretty technical bits. Used to be one mandatory dismount to cross a rocky stream, but not sure if that is still around. First few miles are on a dirt road so by the time you hit the single track it's usually pretty spread out. Be warned - coming out of T1 you go straight onto the sandy beach. So be ready!

Run: Very technical loop around the lake, pretty constant rocks. Once decent hill at maybe mile 1 or 1.5 - pretty flat other than that.

I always loved the event - if I still lived in the area I would be back there again! Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Skyhigh Xterra in NY questions [rlh212] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the replies. I'm on the fence about it only because it's a 3 hour ride for a shorter race. There just aren't many Xterra tri's in New England!
Quote Reply