Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Chinese fake watches...
Quote | Reply
.... my brother just brought me a Tag Heur back from China:-)

My brother owns a real one for business occasions, etc and has a few Chinese fakes for everyday beat around use. He tells me that its really hard to distinguish them on appearance unless you really know where to look.

Paid about a hundred bucks, which is supposedly a lot for a fake, but apparently this is one of the higher end fakes. Its still more than double than I paid for my Timex IM. I really don't get the expensive watch man bracelet thing, so this is as much as I'd ever pay for a watch. I can think of a zillion other things that I'd throw a few grand at before a watch. If anybody asks I'll tell them its not the real McCoy. I haven't even worn it yet since I'm so used to my Timex IM.

Looked around the net and its identical to this model.

Quote Reply
Re: Chinese fake watches... [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A few weeks ago when i went to nyc, i picked up a fake rolex submariner in chinatown. Its a really good fake. I gave to to my friend.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everyone has their thing. My neighbor, a mid to late 30's guy with 3 kids, has some sporty & fast Subaru with expensive rims, a big spoiler, washes and waxes the thing constantly, even has a custom plate, looks like he's preparing to be an extra in Fast & the Furious #27 or something. It's weird to me.

I ride an expensive, boutique brand bike with high end race wheels and components, don't really race any more but still have a power meter, definitely am not of the level of fitness to max out a bike like I have. And I have a couple of cyclocross bikes (one of which is pretty awesome as well), a vintage Mercx roadie, and a nice mountain bike. I'm so damn far from pro or even from being a super strong amateur anymore. It's weird to my neighbors.

Watches as a thing don't make sense to me or mean a thing, but I guess they do make sense to some people who appreciate original craftsmanship and design in them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why would anyone fake a TAG Heuer?

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wear a fatbit. Real, not a Chinese knockoff. Probably made in the same factory as the knockoffs though.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese fake watches... [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:

Because there's a market for them?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:

Maybe because the King of Cool wore one in the movie "LeMans". My bro tried to pick me up the Steve McQueen "Monaco" model in China but couldn't find one. So I had to settle for the "Formula One" version.

Last edited by: cerveloguy: Jun 26, 17 10:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
JSA wrote:

Maybe because the King of Cool wore one in the movie "LeMans". My bro tried to pick me up the Steve McQueen "Monaco" model in China but couldn't find one.

Thats a pretty sweet watch

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:

Why do you hate capitalism?

Quote Reply
Re: Chinese fake watches... [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:
JSA wrote:

Why on earth would there be a market for them???

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese fake watches... [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
JSA wrote:

Why do you hate capitalism?

I love capitalism. But this is like faking a Toyota Camry.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
WelshinPhilly wrote:
JSA wrote:

Why would anyone fake North face fleece jackets?

Why would anyone fake Nike shoes?

Why would anyone fake Ugg boots?

Why would anyone fake Oakley sunglasses?

Or is it more of a watch-snob question?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:
JSA wrote:
WelshinPhilly wrote:
JSA wrote:

Why would anyone fake North face fleece jackets?

Why would anyone fake Nike shoes?

Why would anyone fake Ugg boots?

Why would anyone fake Oakley sunglasses?

But you can't fake Steve McQueen. JSA loses his case right there. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:

DING DING DING!!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're a watch guy or you're not. The fakes are almost always glaringly obvious to watch enthusiast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had someone pick up a fake Rolex for me in NYC 15 years ago. I decided that I couldn't wear it. My thought was that my only reason for wearing a fake Rolex would be to impress people with my fake watch.

I decided, that for me, I didn't want to do that. If I couldn't/wouldn't spend the money to buy a real one - then I wasn't going to wear a fake one.
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese fake watches... [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The other big fakes in handbags have gotten so good that the luxury makers have actually warrantied and repaired fakes, not even recognizing that they weren't their own products. Apparently they've started adding security features to work around it, special stitch patterns, serial numbers, and I've even heard of some sort of special thread with bar code like features.

Death and taxes used to be the 2 certainties in life, but the Chinese stealing and reproducing intellectual and creative property has become a 3rd -- and apparently lucrative -- certainty.

Perseus wrote:
You're a watch guy or you're not. The fakes are almost always glaringly obvious to watch enthusiast.
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese fake watches... [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MidwestRoadie wrote:
The other big fakes in handbags have gotten so good that the luxury makers have actually warrantied and repaired fakes, not even recognizing that they weren't their own products. Apparently they've started adding security features to work around it, special stitch patterns, serial numbers, and I've even heard of some sort of special thread with bar code like features.

Death and taxes used to be the 2 certainties in life, but the Chinese stealing and reproducing intellectual and creative property has become a 3rd -- and apparently lucrative -- certainty.

Perseus wrote:

Well, there is a "grey market" area call "replicas," which, for all intents and purposes, are high quality fakes. They are still fakes and are still counterfeit, but some are made by high quality makers who make "real" watches as well. Some are really damn good. But, part of the reason high end timepieces are so expensive is b/c the materials they use are really, really expensive and, to get the quality movement, you have to spend considerable time handcrafting. There is simply no possible way to "fake" this.

But, if we are talking TAG Heuer, then we are talking a "designer" watch and not a fine timepiece. Mass produced watches (with the possible exception of Rolex) are infinitely easier to fake. That said, there are still tell-tale signs and certain aspects of the watch that could certainly fool the general public, but not a watch snob, and certainly not a watch repairer.

Quote Reply
Re: Chinese fake watches... [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:
JSA wrote:

Maybe because the King of Cool wore one in the movie "LeMans". My bro tried to pick me up the Steve McQueen "Monaco" model in China but couldn't find one.

Interesting. I saw that and thought "what an ugly watch". But I'm not a watch guy. To each their own I suppose!

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese fake watches... [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
veganerd wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:
JSA wrote:

Interesting. I saw that and thought "what an ugly watch". But I'm not a watch guy. To each their own I suppose!

Im not a watch guy by any means! I think expensive watches are silly. I jist liked the design.

Quote Reply
Re: Chinese fake watches... [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MidwestRoadie wrote:
Everyone has their thing. My neighbor, a mid to late 30's guy with 3 kids, has some sporty & fast Subaru with expensive rims, a big spoiler, washes and waxes the thing constantly, even has a custom plate, looks like he's preparing to be an extra in Fast & the Furious #27 or something. It's weird to me.

Exactly. Not many people out there that haven't blown cash on some whack material object. I spent $5k on an Omega (before I was married/kids) and my mates scratch their heads thinking I'm insane, I think they're insane for spending $50K+ on boats that never get used or ridiculously fast sports car that never get driven past the speed limit "I'm gonna take it on the track one day"......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
some years ago i was at that famous 'fakes mall' in beijing - several floors of fake everything. i went for a watch. the woman i was buying from offered a bell and ross at around $50, which i balked at. she said, "hey, i've got fakes and i've got fakes. if you want a $3 'rolex' they're over there."

that has stayed with me. since then i've bought one or two others, including a fake omega speedmaster that runs perfectly several years later.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese fake watches... [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No upkeep costs on the watch. Likely depreciated less than a boat.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Chinese fake watches... [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
No upkeep costs on the watch. Likely depreciated less than a boat.

Yeah, but you can't sail a watch. :-) I've owned a boat. Boat ownership can be described best as standing in a cold shower and ripping up $100. bills.
Quote Reply