Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

June 26, 1999
Quote | Reply
On that day 18 years ago my wife and I, having sold or given away almost all of our worldly possessions, jumped in our car, left Michigan and spent the next 8 weeks living in a tent while we tried to find a new home. We camped in Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona and California, eventually ending up there. We backpacked daily. Met great people. Sat under the stars every night. Had bear scares. Almost froze to death in Lassen National Park. It was the best time of my life.

I was fearless then. Now I am the father of two teenagers and responsible. While we still camp, it's not remotely the same. Someday
after my kids are out of the house I'd like to relive that time in my life. Sell everything and just camp. Can anyone relate?

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: June 26, 1999 [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope. I love camping. I also love coming home and sleeping in my bed.

Does your wife share your midlife crisis idea?

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Last edited by: BLeP: Jun 26, 17 2:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How much time do you need? I mean, take a month or a couple weeks off work with or without your wife and kids and just try it again. You'll probably find that you miss your bed, miss your good job and income and you'll want to be back home after a couple days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HELL NO! My idea of roughing it is basic cable. Glad you enjoyed it and it seems like quite an adventure but there is no way my wife would ever consider doing this, not that I would either.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On August 1, 2010, I quit my job, sold everything I owned except what I could carry on a bicycle, and left to bike and travel around the world. 5 years later I returned to Vancouver with nothing but my bike and pannier bags and started working again...

Now I want to do it all over again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great story but don't try to relive it. Remember it and keep it close. Great times. But you'll never come close to reliving it. At least, that's my experience.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Holy shit dude, i did almost the same thing at the same time, in the same places!

The late ms veganerd and i would travel a few months a year on epic road trips camping out all over the states.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: June 26, 1999 [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old Hickory wrote:
Great story but don't try to relive it. Remember it and keep it close. Great times. But you'll never come close to reliving it. At least, that's my experience.

Bingo.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes and no. One of the best, most influential years of my life was the year after college when I backpacked in the South Pacific, Australia and Asia. Saw many incredible things, met many interesting people, the experience shaped me in ways that still have an effect today.

That said, the other day while cleaning my home office I ran onto the journals I kept while traveling that year. I seem to have forgotten how much of that time I was hot, exhausted, bored waiting for a bus to the next place, lonely, badly in need of a shower, angst-ridden about what I was going to do when I had to finally go back home - sometimes all of the above at the same time. Some of it I sure as hell wouldn't want to have to do again.

You can't bathe in the same river twice. Find the next adventure rather than trying to relive the last one.
Quote Reply
Re: June 26, 1999 [wimsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wimsey wrote:
Yes and no. One of the best, most influential years of my life was the year after college when I backpacked in the South Pacific, Australia and Asia. Saw many incredible things, met many interesting people, the experience shaped me in ways that still have an effect today.

That said, the other day while cleaning my home office I ran onto the journals I kept while traveling that year. I seem to have forgotten how much of that time I was hot, exhausted, bored waiting for a bus to the next place, lonely, badly in need of a shower, angst-ridden about what I was going to do when I had to finally go back home - sometimes all of the above at the same time. Some of it I sure as hell wouldn't want to have to do again.

You can't bathe in the same river twice. Find the next adventure rather than trying to relive the last one.

My wife and I have spoken about taking the kids to the same places. This summer we are going to camp at Rocky Mountain National Park for a couple of weeks. I too kept a journal. It's great reading. We were going to simplify our lives....maybe even buy a Bed and Breakfast. Bwahahah. What a long strange trip it's been.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
On that day 18 years ago my wife and I, having sold or given away almost all of our worldly possessions, jumped in our car, left Michigan and spent the next 8 weeks living in a tent while we tried to find a new home. We camped in Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona and California, eventually ending up there. We backpacked daily. Met great people. Sat under the stars every night. Had bear scares. Almost froze to death in Lassen National Park. It was the best time of my life.

I was fearless then. Now I am the father of two teenagers and responsible. While we still camp, it's not remotely the same. Someday
after my kids are out of the house I'd like to relive that time in my life. Sell everything and just camp. Can anyone relate?

My brother wants to do something like this, but he'll be camping on his boat in the Caribbean. I really hope he can pull it off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:

With all the scout stuff we do, camping is the one thing I dread! It takes me at least three nights to get into that sleep rhythm - most our camping is two nights. I guess camping is one of those things you just have to do consistently to be good at it.
Quote Reply
Re: June 26, 1999 [wimsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wimsey wrote:

This. Don't peg your expectations on the last adventure.

And don't quote Heraclitus twice, either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually thinking of retiring in a couple years and doing some serious backpacking. Wife not interested in this, but she is interested in renting a camper to see we might like spending weeks on end in a camper touring the west. She likes to hike, but wants a bed and shower. So I could see us doing a few years with a lot of camping and wintering in a trailer in the south.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply