Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Suggestions: Supple and Durable Training Tire
Quote | Reply
My current go-to race tire is the GP TT but in training I've found myself going over a lot of fine gravel on road shoulders. I'd like something durable but... somehow... supple. I don't care if it's slow. Likely will go with a 25mm width as my Flo 30s seem to turn 25s into 27-28s. Has anyone here ridden the Grand Prix 4 Season? What about the Vittoria Pave CG Open Clincher?
Quote Reply
Re: Suggestions: Supple and Durable Training Tire [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GP4000. Probably the best all around tire out there. The super durable and flat resistant tires tend to be harsh.

My only other suggestion would be Michelin. I had one of their "carbon" tires that lasted for years but didn't suck.
Quote Reply
Re: Suggestions: Supple and Durable Training Tire [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah my GP4000s haven't been faring well lately :/ Not sure if it's bad luck or if I should actually look for something more durable but I've had four flats in the last three weeks only riding outside on the weekends... so four flats in six rides. One of those was a pinch flat. Three of them have been punctures only one of which I actually know the culprit because I saw the piece of metal right before I hit it (and I doubt any tire would survive what I ran over). However, at the end of every ride I've been pulling fine/sharp gravel out of the tread of my tires.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'm on gp 4 seasons at the mo (southern hemisphere winter). seem to be reasonably durable and puncture protected but supple they are not. probably better than a gator skin (never been able to bring myself to ride them). i keep pinching my tyres and thinking no need to inflate as the pressure has been held when actually its just the stiff casing (works out o though as need to run lower pressure to make them ride ok).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Yeah my GP4000s haven't been faring well lately :/ Not sure if it's bad luck or if I should actually look for something more durable but I've had four flats in the last three weeks only riding outside on the weekends... so four flats in six rides. One of those was a pinch flat. Three of them have been punctures only one of which I actually know the culprit because I saw the piece of metal right before I hit it (and I doubt any tire would survive what I ran over). However, at the end of every ride I've been pulling fine/sharp gravel out of the tread of my tires.

Are you open to running tubeless? If so, give the IRC RoadLites a try...they roll about the same as a GP4000S and seem to be durable.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Suggestions: Supple and Durable Training Tire [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a good suggestion. I had a pair of these last year. They are durable and wear really well. I never found the limit of normal wear as one of mine was destroyed by a big hunk of glass - slash that would have wrecked any tire.

Downside to the IRC's is availability and price. I went out on a limb to try them, had great results, but at ~$60 a tire depending on where you buy they aren't particularly cheap.

I hear you on wanting supple and durable... but to me this means low pressure, which means either a.) wide, b.) tubeless, or better yet c.), all of the above.
Last edited by: JesseN: Jun 26, 17 9:34
Quote Reply
Re: Suggestions: Supple and Durable Training Tire [JesseN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JesseN wrote:
This is a good suggestion. I had a pair of these last year. They are durable and wear really well. I never found the limit of normal wear as one of mine was destroyed by a big hunk of glass - slash that would have wrecked any tire.

Downside to the IRC's is availability and price. I went out on a limb to try them, had great results, but at ~ $85 a tire if I remember they aren't cheap.

I hear you on wanting supple and durable... but to me this means low pressure, which means either a.) wide, b.) tubeless, or better yet c.), all of the above.

I think you can find them for much less than that...

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Suggestions: Supple and Durable Training Tire [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EDIT - I misspoke, looked back at my actual order and they were about $60 a piece shipped.
Last edited by: JesseN: Jun 26, 17 9:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Along those lines, has anyone ridden the Hutchinson Fusion 3 SE tires? Got a pair at Performance last week for $63. Regularly $75 ea. Only one 45 miler on them so far.

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I vote for the GP 4000s II as well. Great all around tire.

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Re: Suggestions: Supple and Durable Training Tire [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's what I'm using now and they're just not quite cutting it. Bummer. Flo 30s are good to go for tubeless, right? I already have Stan's tubeless tape on my rims. Maybe I'll try Tom A's suggestion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
newer specialized turbo pro tires are great
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
That's what I'm using now and they're just not quite cutting it. Bummer. Flo 30s are good to go for tubeless, right? I already have Stan's tubeless tape on my rims. Maybe I'll try Tom A's suggestion.

Can I ask why they are not cutting it?

And yes... the FLO 30s are good for tubeless.

Take care,

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you can find the tubeless Schwalbe Ones (not the 'Pro' Ones with much thinner sidewalls) on clearance/used, I found those to be excellent tubeless tires. Very durable but they retain a nice ride quality. 25's (which would measure close to 27mm on Flo 30's) at 82-80 rear and 72-75 front at 190lbs has been great. I have the 28's (30-31mm) on my cx bike and they have been through a creek and all sorts of stupid stuff.

IRC has a lot of positive reviews too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Canadian wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:

Take care,

See my OP regarding number of flats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a big fan of the Specialized S-works Turbo (not cotton). They use the same tread compound with a less fancy casing.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Canadian wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:

Take care,

See my OP regarding number of flats.

You said the GP TT is causing you issues. I'm recommending the GP 4000s II. They are different tires aren't they?

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah I see I messed up in my OP. To clarify: I race on GP TTs and train on GP4000s. The GP4000s are getting trashed by my local roads.

As an aside, I can understand why gravel is the fastest growing category in cycling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Ah I see I messed up in my OP. To clarify: I race on GP TTs and train on GP4000s. The GP4000s are getting trashed by my local roads.

As an aside, I can understand why gravel is the fastest growing category in cycling.

No problem. Just wanted to make sure I was understanding you correctly. And yes... that's exactly why we are getting into gravel. Using a gravel bike makes a lot of sense for a lot of reasons.

Take care,

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would follow direction you suggested in your first post, Victoria Pave. Supple ride, exactly what someone would expect from 320tpi casing. I use these tyres in autumn/winter season when there is a lot of grid, flint chips and all that stuff we find on the roads during this time of the year.
Now I'm on Corsa G+ on clincher set. They seem to be durable, no issues despite riding questionable quality roads and small lanes with crappy, sometimes loose surface.
Both definitely more supple than GP400s, which in fact are neither the supplest, nor the most durable and not long lasting. Not bad, but nothing to be excited about.
Regarding tubeless option, bear in mind that these tyres are pita to mount and they will not be supple as high tpi casing tyres.
Quote Reply