Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Study: Men's Testosterone Levels Have Declined Over the Past 20 Years
Quote | Reply
This, too, explains a lot.

A new study has found a "substantial" drop in U.S. men's testosterone levels since the 1980s, but the reasons for the decline remain unclear. This trend also does not appear to be related to age.

The average levels of the male hormone dropped by 1 percent a year, Dr. Thomas Travison and colleagues from the New England Research Institutes in Watertown, Massachusetts, found. This means that, for example, a 65-year-old man in 2002 would have testosterone levels 15 percent lower than those of a 65-year-old in 1987. This also means that a greater proportion of men in 2002 would have had below-normal testosterone levels than in 1987.

"The entire population is shifting somewhat downward we think," Travison told Reuters Health. "We're counting on other studies to confirm this."

Now, if y'all will excuse me: I have to go chop a cord of wood and then skin the two grizzly bears I took down in unarmed combat last night. If I don't get to that stuff now I'll be late for my mani-pedi this afternoon. ;-)

Men's testosterone levels declined in last 20 years | Reuters

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Study: Men's Testosterone Levels Have Declined Over the Past 20 Years [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BEEP!

Quote Reply
Re: Study: Men's Testosterone Levels Have Declined Over the Past 20 Years [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It drives me crazy when reports dont include links to the source article. Especially since they get it wrong so often.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: Study: Men's Testosterone Levels Have Declined Over the Past 20 Years [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
It drives me crazy when reports dont include links to the source article. Especially since they get it wrong so often.

What's to investigate? The evidence is...self-evident. ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll dig up some links, I've seen similar studies. From what I've read, it really has to do with our food choices and lifestyle. All of this is becoming more and more of interest as I get older (no shock, huh?!). Seems the best recommendations are to pick up some heavy stuff, eat meat, and get plenty of sleep.

If I don't, who will? -Me
It's like being bipolar in opinion is a requirement around here. -TripleThreat
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
veganerd wrote:

Where did you find that picture of me?!?! You can tell Its an old one because ive lost all my body hair since then for some strange reason.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: Study: Men's Testosterone Levels Have Declined Over the Past 20 Years [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
veganerd wrote:

Where did you find that picture of me?!?! You can tell Its an old one because ive lost all my body hair since then for some strange reason.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! :-)

Quote Reply
Re: Study: Men's Testosterone Levels Have Declined Over the Past 20 Years [lunchbox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lunchbox wrote:
I'll dig up some links, I've seen similar studies. From what I've read, it really has to do with our food choices and lifestyle. All of this is becoming more and more of interest as I get older (no shock, huh?!). Seems the best recommendations are to pick up some heavy stuff, eat meat, and get plenty of sleep.

Let me tell you; when Stone Temple Pilots sang "I'm half the man I used to be" in their song "Creep," they obviously were thinking of me, at my present age. They weren't kidding when they said T declines as you age. LOL!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will take a wild guess and say because we are getting fatter and fatter? Without any studies I would guess this would be the likely direction T was heading. If you think about it being fat is just the end result of all sorts of behaviors that lessen T levels. Less exercise, less weight bearing stuff, more sedentary jobs, bad food, overeating, and perhaps we will also find staring and living through your screen has a dampening effect in later studies 20 years from now.

No surprise. No wonder the T supplement companies are making billions..
Quote Reply
Re: Study: Men's Testosterone Levels Have Declined Over the Past 20 Years [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I will take a wild guess and say because we are getting fatter and fatter? Without any studies I would guess this would be the likely direction T was heading. If you think about it being fat is just the end result of all sorts of behaviors that lessen T levels. Less exercise, less weight bearing stuff, more sedentary jobs, bad food, overeating, and perhaps we will also find staring and living through your screen has a dampening effect in later studies 20 years from now.

No surprise. No wonder the T supplement companies are making billions..

I think you're spot-on. Now excuse me while I head to Walmart and buy a double-strength bottle of DHEA... ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I blame denim Capri jeggings
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Because now the sample size includes those who identify as men ....
And too many salads.
Quote Reply
Re: Study: Men's Testosterone Levels Have Declined Over the Past 20 Years [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:

Oh, wear those and that's a permanent revocation of your Man Card. ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
windywave wrote:

Oh, wear those and that's a permanent revocation of your Man Card. ;-)

You must have missed JSA and Duffy's thread when they purchased them
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, that's the problem...

"The entire population is shifting somewhat downward we think,"

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:

It's the January, 2007 issue of JCEM. (Not sure why BK dug up a decade-old Reuters piece) I don't think Reuters could have made the source any clearer.
Quote Reply
Re: Study: Men's Testosterone Levels Have Declined Over the Past 20 Years [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I will take a wild guess and say because we are getting fatter and fatter?

The authors do not seem to believe it explains the entire decline:

Quote:
We have observed that several candidate causes observable at the level of the individual subject, most notably the well-known secular declines in smoking rates and increases in relative weight, do not appear to explain completely the observed age-matched trends in T.
Quote Reply
Re: Study: Men's Testosterone Levels Have Declined Over the Past 20 Years [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
veganerd wrote:

It's the January, 2007 issue of JCEM. (Not sure why BK dug up a decade-old Reuters piece) I don't think Reuters could have made the source any clearer.

Our T-level is declining and so is our IQ. We are boned beyond belief. LOL!

Can this just hurry up and get here, already? ;-)

Quote Reply