Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sore big toe on one foot
Quote | Reply
With more cycling hours put in, the big toe of one foot gets quite sore. I noticed there is also what I believe is a callus on this big toe, which I've been working on slowly filing down. It feels like I am pushing with that toe, moreso than the other foot. I feel the force from the ball of the foot on the other foot more than the sore one. I've tried deliberately trying not to push with my toe, but it doesn't seem to help much.

Otherwise I'm happy with my bike fit, and this happens on both my TT bike and road bike. I've played around with moving the cleat around to no avail. I didn't want to manipulate the cleat too much, thinking that could lead to other issues or a cascade of bike fit changes.

Would this be symptomatic of either a foot tilt or short leg? I was thinking of trying something like the following out: http://blog.bikefit.com/why-wedge . Anyone have any ideas or things to try?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Sore big toe on one foot [brbbiking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The one-sided calluses are a result of slightly uneven body geometry. Your body is talking to you; you should listen and attempt to even out your posture while cycling ;-)

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Sore big toe on one foot [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would love to.. 'How' is the question :)
Quote Reply
Re: Sore big toe on one foot [brbbiking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you ruled out gout?
Quote Reply
Re: Sore big toe on one foot [Running mom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm no expert, but it doesn't seem likely, based on the pain flaring up only during cycling, and then diminishes afterwards. No attack or sharpness to the pain. I also apparently am low risk for gout, given that I am skinny, don't drink, nor eat meat (from WebMD). But thanks for the idea, and I will keep it in mind in case I am wrong and am not able to solve it by some adjustments on the bike.

Btw, I have just installed some of the cleat wedges on my shoe and will test it out and see how it goes. In the instructions, it has you kneel on a chair with your feet hanging off the end, and then you hold a straight edge up to the balls of your feet. You then observe the angle your foot makes (basically, how far angled sideways the foot is). On the troublesome foot, it is much less angled than the other. On this leg I have had ACL reconstruction, and they removed a hamstring ligament. So I could see how the biomechanics of this leg/foot may be a bit different...
Quote Reply