Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Going to tel Aviv in 3 weeks...suggestions?
Quote | Reply
I'm traveling to tel-Aviv for business July 23-28. I expect we will stay at the Hilton. I may have some free time. Any workout ideas? Open water swimming, running?

Never been.
Quote Reply
Re: Going to tel Aviv in 3 weeks...suggestions? [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I go there frequently for work and stay a little south of the Hilton. Open water swimming is fine, but you will likely hit the jelly fish this time of year, water will be very warm, nice and flat before 8:00 AM before the wind picks up. lots of folks swimming early in the morning. Best place in open water about a mile south of Hilton. There is a very nice outdoor lap pool (Gordon) within a 1/4 mile of the Hilton. It is nice and has day pass access right on the beach.

Running right out your door, north towards small airport (not Ben Gurion) or south along Mediterranean. Get out early as it will be hot and humid.

FWIW, I stay at the Royal beach hotel, it is actually cheaper than the Hilton and has a lap pool and a decent gym. I have stayed all along the beach and this is my favorite spot even as a Diamond Hilton member, because it is close to good open water swimming, has the lap pool, nice rooms, and decent gym.

The Sheraton and the Dan are very dated and I would stay away. I haven't been to Hilton in a few years so can't speak to it recently.

Biking is tough and I only have done it on weekends outside Tel Aviv with my local work colleagues. Decent mountain biking as well, but again you are heading there at a tough time weather wise, it is really a beautiful little country outside of Tel Aviv.

Drive up the coast to Caesarea Beach for a quick trip if you have the time, the rest of the spots are well-known.
Quote Reply
Re: Going to tel Aviv in 3 weeks...suggestions? [ktm520] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. It's a group traveling for some negotiations--I'm the technical advisor. So, I don't have control over the hotel choice. Hilton is our companies preferred hotel (and the execs always like the points and such) , so my prediction is based on that. I don't travel enough to earn enough points to matter--and its often to places that don't have a Hilton anyway.

I'm in Texas and typically run at lunch and bike after work. So, I'm used the the heat (105 heat index last Friday for my long run and recovery bike). The weather looks similar to here.

These things usually start early and go into the middle afternoon, and then there is a big break before dinner. So, my guess is I'll have an hour or two late afternoon on a couple of the days to do something. Don't know if there will be a window in the early mornings or not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I lived there for a while, and have stayed in the Dan more times than I like to remember over the last 10 years.

If you are going to run in July, suck it up and go out early, and head north past Sev Dov airport, and you can keep going for quite a while, about 3 - 4 miles before the path goes inland. South is good for ~3 miles before it goes inland, but there is less to see there. Don't bother going into the city to run, even in the early AM. And forget about about road biking. Mountain biking is great, but you need to get out of the city for it.

Gordon Pool has a good gym in addition to a LCM saltwater outdoor pool. There are some fairly good swimmers out there in the morning, and my recollection is that the day pass (60 NIS) is good all day, so you could swim in the AM and later in the day.

PM me if you want any other recs for places to eat, etc.

Cheers,
Sam
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I currently Live in Tel Aviv

1st of all weather wise, it is not so much the heat, but the humidity that you really need to deal with at the moment. (For example my 8:00am run this morning the temp was already 32Degrees with Humidity at around 75% or so :-)
It is definitely better to try Run early Morning, or late in the evening (humidity may be higher in eve) (Best to run with a small water bottle regardless).

As the Others suggested, You can Run North along the sea shore or south towards Yafo, BUT is also equally good to run in Park HaYarkon.
The Park is accessible from the Promenade Just a little North of the Port (Referred to as the "NAMAL") ( Entrance to the Park has a "MAX BRENER restaurant" )
Park is a very Popular running spot and offers a few side paths / including a "sand / off road" section (called Israel trail)

As Far as cycling is concerned, There is a 1.8km circuit that is very popular .
It is located in Park haYarkon and is Called Rosh Tzipor (Birds Head)

It is accessible through the park from the Port, and If you rode up the Park with the river on your left hand side along the path all the way to the last bridge which forced you to cross the river. Then Rosh Tzipor entrance is Just under the Bridge.
Rosh Tzipor is best early mornings, and I would not suggest afternoon or evening rides as you will have many more pedestrians at these times.

Swimming: Best option for you is Gordon Pool. If you are looking to swim in the sea, there are Facebook groups that People arrange Group swims from Different beaches in the Area.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The heat is only half of it. It's the humidity that kills you. Seriously, don't run midday. Evening/nighttime is not a problem, since the beachside is well lit. Early mornings are where it's at, though. Beachside you can run quite far north from there, or cut east at the Yarkon river into the park - goes on forever and it's great. Very flat, paved most of the way.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: Going to tel Aviv in 3 weeks...suggestions? [tessar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, all.

I will certainly try and get out in the AM, mostly because its my best chance to control my activities---but, I don't know exactly where we are meeting and how long of a drive that might be (and therefore how early we may leave the hotel each day). Also, I'm quite used to the heat and humidity---I live and work in East Texas...and when I compare conditions between here and there, they are almost identical in both temperature and humidity (90F+/75%RH). Yes, those conditions are brutal....but, I run in it 3x per week at noon. So, I'll do what I have to get something done. The shoreline bike/walk/run path looks pretty awesome---a sunrise run along there would be pretty cool.

I'm not taking or renting a bike for a 4 day trip...so, I'll just use the hotel gym bike for some 2x20 or some other z3-4 work...just to keep things rolling.

Hilton beach seems to have a protected water recreation area (swim, paddle boards, etc) with jettys, and ropes. So, if we end up at the Hilton...maybe I can get some OW-ish swimming done there. Just looking for something "cool" to add to the list of things I've done. who knows when or if I will ever go back there.
Quote Reply