Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

No Pool All Week
Quote | Reply
I am going to be going on a business trip, taking a bunch of students to a summer camp, this week. We will be in a very small remote town. The closest pool is a 45min drive away. I am excited to not be in the pool because the camp is right on a beautiful lake. I view it as an awesome opportunity to work on my OWS skills and get more time in my wetsuit (which I need).

The dilemma I am having is how do I transition what my pool swims were going to be into effective OWS?
I have three swims that I will be doing at distances of 3000yds, 3150yds and 4500yds.

I have a 70.3 race in 3weeks. Do I just split them into 400, 500, 800 or 1000yds sets with short rest in-between? Slow down and do the full distance in one shot? Try find a 100 or 200yds out with my GPS watch and do shorter sets with sprints?

Thank for the advice in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: No Pool All Week [HonestYP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're not gaining or losing much fitness in one week. If you haven't been doing open water swims I would think the gains that could be made by practicing sighting would be much more worthwhile. Just go swim the whole distance practicing spotting as you go.

--Chris
Quote Reply
Re: No Pool All Week [HonestYP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's obvious that you have a coaching plan set up. I'm going to say that your time at camp will be a great opportunity t break away from this completely rigid structure. You'll have the opportunity to swim by feel, practice sighting, and probably most important, take time to enjoy the opportunity to swim in the real world. Seriously, just enjoy an opportunity not many people get.

Don't forget your orange buoy.
Quote Reply