Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I thought Special Investigators were supposed to be independant and Bi-Partisan?
Quote | Reply

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/23/politics/trump-mueller-pelosi/index.html

Quote:
Trump accused Mueller of hiring "all Hillary Clinton supporters" to staff the investigation. At least three members of Mueller's legal team have given political donations almost exclusively to Democrats, CNN reported in an analysis of Federal Election Commission

And not to mention (by more than just Trump) that Muller is friends with Comey. It is also reported that one of the Lawyers Muller has hired worked for the Clinton foundation and actively blocked Freedom of Information Requests for the Foundation.

So much for a fair and unbiased investigation...
Quote Reply
Re: I thought Special Investigators were supposed to be independant and Bi-Partisan? [orphious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
orphious wrote:

On the other hand, once he releases the total lack of collusion evidence and no charges (except maybe Flynn), then it'll all look super-credible and Rosenstein will look like a genius.
Quote Reply
Re: I thought Special Investigators were supposed to be independant and Bi-Partisan? [orphious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
orphious wrote:

It is also reported that one of the Lawyers Muller has hired worked for the Clinton foundation and actively blocked Freedom of Information Requests for the Foundation.

....given that the Clinton foundation is a private organization, it's not subject to FOIA. You could submit a request to the State Department requesting all Foundation-related materials that may have (maybe inappropriately) crossed over into Government communications. But I don't see how FOIA applies to the Foundation itself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You mean this guy who was hired by a Trump official (who happened to recommend Comey be fired)? The same guy who has received praise from just about every Republican congressman? The same guy who was appointed to be FBI director by a Republican President?
Last edited by: FishyJoe: Jun 24, 17 7:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perhaps he is just trying to balance out his obvious bias towards the republicans, since they are they ones that put him in his old job and seem to support him 100%. After al,l no matter what his minions come up with, he gets the last say on everything. So perhaps he just wants the oppositions opinions to counter balance his bias towards Trump and Co, thus getting a relatively unbiased outcome.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The FBI is about as independent and bi-partisan as the IRS and CNN.

The Dems sound like Chicken Little with all the Russia talk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're really questioning the integrity of Mueller?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
orphious wrote:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/23/politics/trump-mueller-pelosi/index.html

Quote:
Trump accused Mueller of hiring "all Hillary Clinton supporters" to staff the investigation. At least three members of Mueller's legal team have given political donations almost exclusively to Democrats, CNN reported in an analysis of Federal Election Commission

And not to mention (by more than just Trump) that Muller is friends with Comey. It is also reported that one of the Lawyers Muller has hired worked for the Clinton foundation and actively blocked Freedom of Information Requests for the Foundation.

Special Investigators should be independent, and I haven't seen any evidence that this one isn't. Special Investigators don't have to be bi-partisan. It's not a political post. They don't have to be for, or against, or equally for or against any particular party. There is hardly anyone anywhere in govt qualified to be a Special Investigator who wouldn't have a party affiliation. Robert Mueller is a Republican who was appointed to his post as FBI Director by a Republican. He's a decorated Marine, and has basically always been respected for his lack of partisanship and non-political approach to his job as FBI Director. He's enjoyed bis-partisan support from basically everyone in the House and Senate.

This stuff about him being best friends with Mr. Comey or politically aligned against Pres Trump is simply noise. The best way to tell is that much of the noise is originating from Newt Gingrich.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: I thought Special Investigators were supposed to be independant and Bi-Partisan? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
orphious wrote:

On the other hand, once he releases the total lack of collusion evidence and no charges (except maybe Flynn), then it'll all look super-credible and Rosenstein will look like a genius.

You forgot Manafort. Manafort as Trumps campaign manager had the RNC change their policy to a pro Russian stance against the Ukraine for money. Roger Stone coordinating with Wikileaks's. Jeff Sessions lying to congress and lying for his security clearance. Oh and Jared for lying on his security clearance also. Not to mention the Trump foundation & Ivanka and Jared's pay for play. Oh yea and Trump and his sons are up to their eye balls in Russian loans and laundered money. The evidence will come and we will see if the Republicans have the balls to bring the charges.
Quote Reply
Re: I thought Special Investigators were supposed to be independant and Bi-Partisan? [FishyJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FishyJoe wrote:
You mean this guy who was hired by a Trump official (who happened to recommend Comey be fired)? The same guy who has received praise from just about every Republican congressman? The same guy who was appointed to be FBI director by a Republican President?

Also, Trump donated to Hillary's campaigns 4 times, and $100,000 to the Clinton Foundation. :)
Quote Reply
Re: I thought Special Investigators were supposed to be independant and Bi-Partisan? [xtremrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xtremrun wrote:
trail wrote:
orphious wrote:

You forgot Manafort. Manafort as Trumps campaign manager had the RNC change their policy to a pro Russian stance against the Ukraine for money. Roger Stone coordinating with Wikileaks's. Jeff Sessions lying to congress and lying for his security clearance. Oh and Jared for lying on his security clearance also. Not to mention the Trump foundation & Ivanka and Jared's pay for play. Oh yea and Trump and his sons are up to their eye balls in Russian loans and laundered money. The evidence will come and we will see if the Republicans have the balls to bring the charges.

The sweet irony of the Democrats in the Senate voting to not convict will probably be lost on you and your ilk
Quote Reply
Re: I thought Special Investigators were supposed to be independant and Bi-Partisan? [xtremrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xtremrun wrote:
The evidence will come and we will see if the Republicans have the balls to bring the charges.

Yeah, I was being mostly facetious. I have no idea what the real evidence will be. I was just pointing out that if it turns out to not be much, then it'll be a credible not much. Vs. if Trump and Co. manage to end the investigation or replace Mueller with Sean Hannity or something, then there'll be an always-simmer conspiracy to Trump to fret about every morning at 4AM.
Quote Reply
Re: I thought Special Investigators were supposed to be independant and Bi-Partisan? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
xtremrun wrote:
trail wrote:
orphious wrote:

The sweet irony of the Democrats in the Senate voting to not convict will probably be lost on you and your ilk

That is a possibility and won't be lost on me at all. What is lost on you and your ilk is that our country was attacked by Russia. This shouldn't be a democratic or republican partisan issue. It should be an American issue and we should be doing everything we can to prevent it from happing again. Not being in denial that it happened and sucking up to the country that did it. Trump might as well be deep throating Putin he passed the ball washing stage a long time ago. It is ludicrous that our president will not protect America from Russia but has no problem calling out every other country that supports us.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
xtremrun wrote:
windywave wrote:
xtremrun wrote:
trail wrote:
orphious wrote:

That is a possibility and won't be lost on me at all. What is lost on you and your ilk is that our country was attacked by Russia. This shouldn't be a democratic or republican partisan issue. It should be an American issue and we should be doing everything we can to prevent it from happing again. Not being in denial that it happened and sucking up to the country that did it. Trump might as well be deep throating Putin he passed the ball washing stage a long time ago. It is ludicrous that our president will not protect America from Russia but has no problem calling out every other country that supports us.

My ilk? You don't spend enough time on here.

How did Russia attack us? Please provide evidence. Can you make an argument without being crass? Please discuss in detail why Hillary was the Democratic nominee and why she lost.
Quote Reply
Re: I thought Special Investigators were supposed to be independant and Bi-Partisan? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
How did Russia attack us? Please provide evidence.

Joint statement by the DNI, FBI, and DHS:

Quote:
"This activity by Russian intelligence services is part of a decade-long campaign of cyber-enabled operations directed at the U.S. Government and its citizens. These cyber operations have included spearphishing, campaigns targeting government organizations, critical infrastructure, think tanks, universities, political organizations, and corporations; theft of information from these organizations; and the recent public release of some of this stolen information. In other countries, Russian intelligence services have also undertaken damaging and disruptive cyber-attacks, including on critical infrastructure, in some cases masquerading as third parties or hiding behind false online personas designed to cause victim to misattribute the source of the attack."

Emphasis mine. Of course that's "cyber-attack" not like a conventional warfare attack. But that's implied by the context we're talking about.

And of course the DNI/FBI/DHS hasn't provided much in evidence. Which I think isn't that surprising given that the age-old dilemma of intelligence that revealing your source compromises your source.

Also plenty of private cybersecurity firms confirmed that they see a strong likelihood of Russia being all up in our shit. (though using more technical terms).

Trump needs to pick a narrative, though. . First it was just shrugging off this "Chicken Little" (above) nonsense and it's just business as usual stuff between intelligence services. But more recently Trump tacked upwind and is claiming it's a very serious matter that Obama completely failed at. I'd think he's be better off hiring Perseus above and sticking with idea that it's just Dems "hyperventilating" while dismissing the statements by the FBI, CIA, DNI, DHS, and NSA. (they're all compromised by the Deep State)
Quote Reply
Re: I thought Special Investigators were supposed to be independant and Bi-Partisan? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
windywave wrote:
How did Russia attack us? Please provide evidence.

Joint statement by the DNI, FBI, and DHS:

Quote:
"This activity by Russian intelligence services is part of a decade-long campaign of cyber-enabled operations directed at the U.S. Government and its citizens. These cyber operations have included spearphishing, campaigns targeting government organizations, critical infrastructure, think tanks, universities, political organizations, and corporations; theft of information from these organizations; and the recent public release of some of this stolen information. In other countries, Russian intelligence services have also undertaken damaging and disruptive cyber-attacks, including on critical infrastructure, in some cases masquerading as third parties or hiding behind false online personas designed to cause victim to misattribute the source of the attack."

Emphasis mine. Of course that's "cyber-attack" not like a conventional warfare attack. But that's implied by the context we're talking about.

And of course the DNI/FBI/DHS hasn't provided much in evidence. Which I think isn't that surprising given that the age-old dilemma of intelligence that revealing your source compromises your source.

Also plenty of private cybersecurity firms confirmed that they see a strong likelihood of Russia being all up in our shit. (though using more technical terms).

Trump needs to pick a narrative, though. . First it was just shrugging off this "Chicken Little" (above) nonsense and it's just business as usual stuff between intelligence services. But more recently Trump tacked upwind and is claiming it's a very serious matter that Obama completely failed at. I'd think he's be better off hiring Perseus above and sticking with idea that it's just Dems "hyperventilating" while dismissing the statements by the FBI, CIA, DNI, DHS, and NSA. (they're all compromised by the Deep State)

You're going to mattresses on spearphishing?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:

Here we go again. I'm not sure if you're just trolling me since I've done this several times. It's far more than "spearphishing" and you're perfectly aware of that.

The attacked election machines. Tried all 50 states, possibly successfully altered the voter rolls in one. (which was reportedly fixed). That's awfully disturbing to me. If the DNC had done that you'd be burning down the DNC HQ. But because it's "just" a hostile foreign government it's like "Awww shucks, those Russians and their shenanigans!"

They talked 2 incoming high-level officials to attempt to establish back-channel communications that bypassed U.S. surveillance. (Read that as using Russia's own phone lines). That's the holy grail of a foreign intelligence service - to have covert communications with high-level government officials. This is not the usual back channel, like President Kennedy during the Cuban Missile Crisis. This is a back channel kept secret from our own government.

And there are other things. Which you're also perfectly aware of.

This is a problem. I'm not Chicken Little. I'm not outraged. I don't think Russia is on the verge of running the U.S. government. But I see it as something worth investigating. Throwing a little transparency into the situation is OK.

I think Mueller is a reasonable guy for the job. I hope he's granted the time and resources to do that job, without excessive political interference. I expect the usual character assassination attempts, which are already underway. Ken Starr took his lumps from the Clinton camp. But I hope it stops at that.

Is that hyperventilating on my part? The career intelligence people seem very, very concerned about Russia. I think that means something. Before you cast off their unified speech on the subject, I suggest you take a step back, pull back the zoom lens, and try to examine the issue free from the emotions and hysteria of party politics. I like to think I have. We all can't be perfectly free from bias, though.

But I'll stick with team Mueller.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You really are a nut aren't you?

I've always said the crazies on the left were a lot like the crazies on the right. You prove that.

May I suggest to you that Talking Points Memo is not an objective, nor accurate source for information?

xtremrun wrote:
windywave wrote:
xtremrun wrote:
trail wrote:
orphious wrote:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
windywave wrote:

Here we go again. I'm not sure if you're just trolling me since I've done this several times. It's far more than "spearphishing" and you're perfectly aware of that.

The attacked election machines. Tried all 50 states, possibly successfully altered the voter rolls in one. (which was reportedly fixed). That's awfully disturbing to me. If the DNC had done that you'd be burning down the DNC HQ. But because it's "just" a hostile foreign government it's like "Awww shucks, those Russians and their shenanigans!"

They talked 2 incoming high-level officials to attempt to establish back-channel communications that bypassed U.S. surveillance. (Read that as using Russia's own phone lines). That's the holy grail of a foreign intelligence service - to have covert communications with high-level government officials. This is not the usual back channel, like President Kennedy during the Cuban Missile Crisis. This is a back channel kept secret from our own government.

And there are other things. Which you're also perfectly aware of.

This is a problem. I'm not Chicken Little. I'm not outraged. I don't think Russia is on the verge of running the U.S. government. But I see it as something worth investigating. Throwing a little transparency into the situation is OK.

I think Mueller is a reasonable guy for the job. I hope he's granted the time and resources to do that job, without excessive political interference. I expect the usual character assassination attempts, which are already underway. Ken Starr took his lumps from the Clinton camp. But I hope it stops at that.

Is that hyperventilating on my part? The career intelligence people seem very, very concerned about Russia. I think that means something. Before you cast off their unified speech on the subject, I suggest you take a step back, pull back the zoom lens, and try to examine the issue free from the emotions and hysteria of party politics. I like to think I have. We all can't be perfectly free from bias, though.

But I'll stick with team Mueller.

I'm not trolling I have always maintained and shall always maintain that spearphishing is not an act of war. Just because Podesta and others at the DNC are idiots and don't know the basics of network security doesn't mean it was an act of war.

The other things that I am apparently not aware of but should be are. . . . .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:

I'm not trolling I have always maintained and shall always maintain that spearphishing is not an act of war.

First, I don't know why you keep bringing up spearphishing. That's just a technique to gain entry into a system. The real alleged crime here is a state stealing political information. That's typically called "espionage."

I don't know why you're introducing the word "war." That's sensationalizing things a bit. But cyberespionage is very much in the realm of military defense, and "cyber" is likely a future battleground. The U.S. stood up US Cyber Command (USCYBERCOM) underneath US Strategic Command to coordinate the NSA and all the branches of the military with a cohesive strategy to combat this. That's our state-funded capability. The Russian counterpart goes by the name "Fancy Bear" and "Cozy Bear"

Quote:
Just because Podesta and others at the DNC are idiots and don't know the basics of network security doesn't mean it was an act of war.

War?

Quote:

Read up on Fancy Bear and Cozy Bear.

I realize there's a friendship of convenience. Putin hates Hillary, and you hate Hillary. But don't think that because you have common cause that Russia is our friend. Putin don't care. If Putin decides that Elizabeth Warren might be more advantageous as President than Trump in 2020, he'll do that.

In general, if I have one piece of advice: listen to the non-political, non-media professionals:

Quote:
ADM. ROGERS: There’s an ongoing investigation. I’m just not getting into the specifics. I still think there shouldn’t be any doubt in anybody’s mind. This was not something done casually. This was not something done by chance. This was not a target that was selected purely arbitrarily. This was a conscious effort by a nation-state to attempt to achieve a specific effect.

Right? I don't see that as political posturing or Admiral Rogers manufacturing #fakenews. Think if that specific effect had been to get Hillary elected, and Hillary had been elected? You'd have torches and pitchforks, I think. Set aside the tribal alliance for a second recognize the fundamental issue of national security.

Now calm down, I'm not asking for war! I'm merely asserting that an independent investigation and some public accountability is a good idea. Not with any other end goal in mind except putting transparency into what happened so the electorate can make informed decisions. If the only thing that comes out of it is that the DNC had bad IT, then fine!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
windywave wrote:

I'm not trolling I have always maintained and shall always maintain that spearphishing is not an act of war.

First, I don't know why you keep bringing up spearphishing. That's just a technique to gain entry into a system. The real alleged crime here is a state stealing political information. That's typically called "espionage."

I don't know why you're introducing the word "war." That's sensationalizing things a bit. But cyberespionage is very much in the realm of military defense, and "cyber" is likely a future battleground. The U.S. stood up US Cyber Command (USCYBERCOM) underneath US Strategic Command to coordinate the NSA and all the branches of the military with a cohesive strategy to combat this. That's our state-funded capability. The Russian counterpart goes by the name "Fancy Bear" and "Cozy Bear"

Quote:
Just because Podesta and others at the DNC are idiots and don't know the basics of network security doesn't mean it was an act of war.

War?

Quote:

Read up on Fancy Bear and Cozy Bear.

I realize there's a friendship of convenience. Putin hates Hillary, and you hate Hillary. But don't think that because you have common cause that Russia is our friend. Putin don't care. If Putin decides that Elizabeth Warren might be more advantageous as President than Trump in 2020, he'll do that.

In general, if I have one piece of advice: listen to the non-political, non-media professionals:

Quote:

ADM. ROGERS: There’s an ongoing investigation. I’m just not getting into the specifics. I still think there shouldn’t be any doubt in anybody’s mind. This was not something done casually. This was not something done by chance. This was not a target that was selected purely arbitrarily. This was a conscious effort by a nation-state to attempt to achieve a specific effect.

Right? I don't see that as political posturing or Admiral Rogers manufacturing #fakenews. Think if that specific effect had been to get Hillary elected, and Hillary had been elected? You'd have torches and pitchforks, I think. Set aside the tribal alliance for a second recognize the fundamental issue of national security.

Now calm down, I'm not asking for war! I'm merely asserting that an independent investigation and some public accountability is a good idea. Not with any other end goal in mind except putting transparency into what happened so the electorate can make informed decisions. If the only thing that comes out of it is that the DNC had bad IT, then fine!

1) Read the original post I replied to which may clarify my position and word choice

2) I bring up spearphishing:
a) That is how the DNC got hacked
b) Your rebuttal post cited it as the only verified "attack" on the US
3) I ask for examples of other attacks and you tell me Russia has the capabilities, you know who else has the capabilities. . . .UK, China, N. Korea, Israel, the list goes on.

Here's the situation in a nutshell. . . .The DNC has poor network security as a result outside actors gained access to embarrassing but not shocking, or even surprising information which they publicized. That's it. Nothing else. No attack. No need to be having a meltdown. For the record I expect everyone to try and spy on us, allies and enemies alike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:

How is a relatively trivial detail. The fundamental issue is the theft of private information from a U.S. political party. You refuse to recognize that as an issue, instead choosing the word "spearphishing" with its connotations as an email prank and little more.

Quote:

If you read it that way, my mistake. The U.S. is attacked regularly. Dozens of these are "verified," most are not. You're not satisfied by my definition of verified, and I'm not entirely clear what would constitute "verification" to you. You set a pretty high bar.

Quote:

3) I ask for examples of other attacks and you tell me Russia has the capabilities, you know who else has the capabilities. . . .UK, China, N. Korea, Israel, the list goes on.

Yes, but we're talking about Russia here. Stay on task.

Quote:
No attack.

Quote:
For the record I expect everyone to try and spy on us, allies and enemies alike.

Do you expect us to respond to those attacks? To win? Or do nothing?

You seem to be stuck a little bit in a tribal rut where because you don't like the target (DNC/Hillary), you minimize the seriousness of the attack.

Quote:
No need to be having a meltdown.

Does my quote from ADM Rogers indicate he's having meltdown? What about the statements of Clapper. Or Brennan. Question: Is the leadership of nearlyour entire intelligence community have a "meltdown" by publicly acknowledging there's a high probability that the DNC was hacked by the Russians with the intent of affecting the 2016 Presidential election? Why does that see so farfetched? Why does the mere suggestion bother you so much? You might think about that a little.

I'm done with this one. I'll leave you to ponder the DNC's lacking IT skills.:)
Last edited by: trail: Jun 27, 17 20:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It changed the election about as well as the hookers pissing on the Donald changed the elections.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PS. Remind me the next time OUR GOVERNMENT is NOT trying to hack into other countries systems.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote:

How is a relatively trivial detail. The fundamental issue is the theft of private information from a U.S. political party. You refuse to recognize that as an issue, instead choosing the word "spearphishing" with its connotations as an email prank and little more.

It isn't trivial in that it's basic security 101. We have to go through training every six months for shit like this and the security nerds send dummy attack emails randomly which one had best past otherwise you get in trouble. This is a technique used by unsophisticated hackers and they fell for it. At worst this is used for espionage, but nothing rising to an attack.

Quote:

If you read it that way, my mistake. The U.S. is attacked regularly. Dozens of these are "verified," most are not. You're not satisfied by my definition of verified, and I'm not entirely clear what would constitute "verification" to you. You set a pretty high bar.

We're talking about the Russians and the DNC, stay on task. :)

Quote:

Yes, but we're talking about Russia here. Stay on task.

Great what did the Russians do other than probably point out the DNC sucks at cyber security?

Quote:
For the record I expect everyone to try and spy on us, allies and enemies alike.

Do you expect us to respond to those attacks? To win? Or do nothing?

They aren't attacks any more than Ames was an attack. It's part of the grand game.

Quote:
You seem to be stuck a little bit in a tribal rut where because you don't like the target (DNC/Hillary), you minimize the seriousness of the attack.

No need to be having a meltdown.

Well since the mouth breathers are going on and on about a Russian attack on the DNC yeah I dismiss it, but not because of the target. (We could discuss the RNC contractor storing their crown jewels on an unsecured sever if you want).

Quote:
Does my quote from ADM Rogers indicate he's having meltdown? What about the statements of Clapper. Or Brennan. Question: Is the leadership of nearlyour entire intelligence community have a "meltdown" by publicly acknowledging there's a high probability that the DNC was hacked by the Russians with the intent of affecting the 2016 Presidential election? Why does that see so farfetched? Why does the mere suggestion bother you so much? You might think about that a little.

Is he speaking about spearphising the DNC? If so I completely agree with his statement but that doesn't change any of the above.

Quote:
I'm done with this one. I'll leave you to ponder the DNC's lacking IT skills.:)

Don't need to ponder, I already know they're shit.
Quote Reply