Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Think David Brooks nails it, World is led by a child [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are getting caught up in George Bush's logical fallacy here -- "you're either for us or against us!". W was wrong; there are more than two positions.

I think Conservative intellectuals like David Brooks and George Will are sticking to their values and haven't changed. They have been consistent and and continue to stand for what they have always done so but they are being mocked as sell outs.

They aren't the problem, it's Trump that has changed the traditional platform of the Republican party. The Republican politicians and "Conservatives" supporting Trump are the ones caving to appease him. The Steve Bannon view of the world has replaced the Ronald Regan view.

The real problem is that Trump doesn't have a platform. I think he was elected because his supporters main concern was jobs. Issues like healthcare, global warming, foreign policy were distractions to the real issue of jobs. Trump came in and instead of spending his time on things like infrastructure or jobs that everyone could get behind, he moved on healthcare, an issue that has always been divisive. Now, the divisions have become greater.

Then he builds up the military, but there is no apparent plan. He sends 5,000 more troops to Afghanistan when 100,000 couldn't do the job a few years ago. They shoot down a Syrian plane but isn't the fight there to go after ISIS? If you weaken the Syrian army, aren't you embolding ISIS? Then he says China tried to solve the problem with Korea but they haven't done a thing and continue to increase their economic relationships.

Meanwhile, people simply go along and say he is doing a great job but I don't see it.
Quote Reply
Re: Think David Brooks nails it, World is led by a child [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
You are getting caught up in George Bush's logical fallacy here -- "you're either for us or against us!". W was wrong; there are more than two positions.

I think Conservative intellectuals like David Brooks and George Will are sticking to their values and haven't changed. They have been consistent and and continue to stand for what they have always done so but they are being mocked as sell outs.

They aren't the problem, it's Trump that has changed the traditional platform of the Republican party. The Republican politicians and "Conservatives" supporting Trump are the ones caving to appease him. The Steve Bannon view of the world has replaced the Ronald Regan view.
With Trump and his supporters, it is a case of "you're either for us or against us!" Along with that, anything the other side supports is bad.

If Trump wants to get cozy with some Russians, blur the lines between his business interests and his office, exhibit questionable behavior in his marital life, or even play golf in his spare time, that's OK because "he's our guy."

"Conservative" and "liberal" support has been replaced by making sure your guy wins.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: Think David Brooks nails it, World is led by a child [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Conservative" and "liberal" support has been replaced by making sure your guy wins.

Yes, I agree.

It really is disappointing to see so many "Conservatives" change their world view because of Trump. You can see it right here, with people who would align themselves with a Conservative mindset but absolutely refuse to criticize anything Trump does or says other than the token "he's an idiot but...". Some here stand up and support him when he actually does things in line with Conservatives but also have the consistency to criticize him when he goes against that.

But many simply go along and agree to everything he tweets and every action because he won and that's all that really matters.

Quote Reply
Re: Think David Brooks nails it, World is led by a child [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You think that stupidity is the new norm? May want to read up on the history of the French revolutions and the kind of idiocy coming from the ruling classes that caused them. I.e. the necklace affair, the events that led to the tennis court oath, the fall of Robespierre, etc, etc.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Think David Brooks nails it, World is led by a child [dave_w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I find it interesting that no one has brought up the inherent hubris of that article title. There is a assumption by so many Americans that the president of the USA is the defacto leader of the world. And while that was not the case before Trump, I would suggest it is most definitely the opposite of that now.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: Think David Brooks nails it, World is led by a child [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a assumption by so many Americans that the president of the USA is the defacto leader of the world.

I didn't comment because it seemed obvious that the world isn't looking to Trump for leadership.

That's the way it should be though. Trump was elected President of the U.S.

Quote Reply
Re: Think David Brooks nails it, World is led by a child [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guffaw wrote:
I find it interesting that no one has brought up the inherent hubris of that article title. There is a assumption by so many Americans that the president of the USA is the defacto leader of the world. And while that was not the case before Trump, I would suggest it is most definitely the opposite of that now.

Really? Largest economy most powerful military bastion of freedom ... you're right definitely behind Marcon
Quote Reply
Re: Think David Brooks nails it, World is led by a child [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Trump came in and instead of spending his time on things like infrastructure or jobs that everyone could get behind, he moved on healthcare, an issue that has always been divisive.
I can agree with you on this one. My position is that the US had an inefficient health care delivery system before ObamaCare, and then ObamaCare socialized it and made it worse. I agree ObamaCare is bad, but just repealing ObamaCare or taking out a few unpleasant (but necessary) aspects isn't going to help America. Until the Pubs coalesce around a more comprehensive and viable answer, the healthcare debacle should be left to the Dems.

Generally speaking, I think very few of Trump's policies will contribute to making America better. That being said, I think most of Hillary and Bernie's proposed policies would have made it worse.
Quote Reply
Re: Think David Brooks nails it, World is led by a child [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Generally speaking, I think very few of Trump's policies will contribute to making America better. That being said, I think most of Hillary and Bernie's proposed policies would have made it worse.

I think Hilary would have maintained the status quo so for people who hated Obama, they would have had an easy target with her. Bernie would have definitely made things worse, particularly with the debt.

My problem isn't that a Republican is in the Whitehouse (I would definitely not have voted for Hilary), it's that it's Trump. I would have voted for any of the other nominees before Trump. Given that Trump was nominated and ran against Hilary, I would have abstained.

I'd love to see a real Conservative (particularly when it comes to economic policies) get back into power but I don't think that will ever happen.

Thanks Trump.

Quote Reply
Re: Think David Brooks nails it, World is led by a child [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
The premise is fine, but acting like Brooks is some sort of banner carrier for the right is foolish

Bill Crystal is definitely not a fan of Trump and is very open about it. He makes Brooks look like Bernie sanders.
Quote Reply
Re: Think David Brooks nails it, World is led by a child [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How does this opinion fit with the Trump = Hitler belief?
Quote Reply
Re: Think David Brooks nails it, World is led by a child [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How does this opinion fit with the Trump = Hitler belief? //

What?? Did you fall on your head or something? And I never said Brooks was a leader of the right, he never was or has been. Like George Will and a lot of other republicans, they represent what used to be the Reagan/Bush republicans. Now of course those people have become a minority in the party and seem to be on the endangered list. More and more of the people that used to hold them up in high regard are slipping over to the dark side. Its fine the party is changing direction I guess and the old guard holding onto the old ideals are going to go the way of the papers they all write for I guess. Doesn't mean they are wrong though..
Quote Reply
Re: Think David Brooks nails it, World is led by a child [squid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
squid wrote:
windywave wrote:
The premise is fine, but acting like Brooks is some sort of banner carrier for the right is foolish

Bill Crystal is definitely not a fan of Trump and is very open about it. He makes Brooks look like Bernie sanders.

Um I don't get the point you're trying to make. I said the premise was fine just the depiction of Brooks was not
Quote Reply
Re: Think David Brooks nails it, World is led by a child [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
squid wrote:
windywave wrote:

Um I don't get the point you're trying to make. I said the premise was fine just the depiction of Brooks was not

The point is that there are those on the right that are considered "banner carriers" who are as critical of Trump as Brooks
Quote Reply
Re: Think David Brooks nails it, World is led by a child [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old Hickory wrote:
How does this opinion fit with the Trump = Hitler belief?

Jealous?

https://www.nytimes.com/...els-old-hickory.html
Quote Reply
Re: Think David Brooks nails it, World is led by a child [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Last edited by: cerveloguy: Jun 26, 17 11:05
Quote Reply
Re: Think David Brooks nails it, World is led by a child [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who needs photoshop?

Quote Reply

Prev Next