Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Just had a catch with my son
Quote | Reply
And at 8 he throws a much better spiral then I do. Im probably 1 for 3 spiral vs duck. He's the opposite. It's embarrassing.

Worst part, one of the nuns at the school he used to go to taught him. After saying,"doesn't your dad play catch with you? Tell him to show you how to throw the ball."

He told her I did already.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: Just had a catch with my son [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
:-)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah but you loosened him up for her!

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Buy one of those special balls that goes into a spiral no matter how you throw it.

Or just stop being such pussy and learn how to throw a GD spiral.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Just had a catch with my son [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Buy one of those special balls that goes into a spiral no matter how you throw it.

Or just stop being such pussy and learn how to throw a GD spiral.

I'm staying with pussy. Even those special ones flounder. I crushed his little world in horse after that. I got a few years before he'll beat me there.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wish more moms would throw a football or play soccer or basketball with their kids. I was recently at the park with my kids including my daughter who was just shy of 3 months old. I had her in a Bjorn carrier and ended up throwing a football to ALL of the kids while the other moms sat on their asses. It was quite annoying, but I got major mom props from the other kids for playing catch with them.

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply
Re: Just had a catch with my son [RockyMtnChic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On the flip side of that, as an expecting father I'm very much looking forward to teach in my daughter how to throw a spiral, swing a hammer and change the oil in the car I will later refuse to buy for her.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's something special about having a catch with your child- one on one. It easy to carve out 15 minutes of high quality time to throw the ball in the backyard.

With either my daughter or my son, I've have some of the best conversations about nothing with a baseball or football getting thrown between us.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RockyMtnChic wrote:
I wish more moms would throw a football or play soccer or basketball with their kids. I was recently at the park with my kids including my daughter who was just shy of 3 months old. I had her in a Bjorn carrier and ended up throwing a football to ALL of the kids while the other moms sat on their asses. It was quite annoying, but I got major mom props from the other kids for playing catch with them.

That sounds much easier than playing street hockey with a baby in the Ergo. Luckily my "baby" is 11 months so I don't think I did damage trying to chase down the ball...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RockyMtnChic wrote:
This may sound strange but having a catch with Mom is something special. My dad died when I was 9. Mom filled in when older brothers couldn't or wouldn't. When she stepped in it was always at a low point. I'll never forget that. That's probably why when I see a mom having a catch with a kid I think it's great.

Quote Reply
Re: Just had a catch with my son [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:
There's something special about having a catch with your child- one on one. It easy to carve out 15 minutes of high quality time to throw the ball in the backyard.

With either my daughter or my son, I've have some of the best conversations about nothing with a baseball or football getting thrown between us.
Yep , I love it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My mom was a single parent because of a deadbeat "dad." I'll never forget one particular time of her playing catch with us.

Brother was ~6, couldn't stand still for anything, always drifting his attention. She throws the ball back to him, he notices some shiny object that grabs his attention, baseball smashes him in the eye. It sounds like a stabbing occurred. Without hesitation mom looks at him and says, "Great job! That's what they call keeping your eye on the ball!", then proceeds to do the actual motherly thing.

It's a moment that provided the entire guidebook for how I try to parent.
Quote Reply
Re: Just had a catch with my son [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We thought our second was going to be a boy. Rocked my world when it was a girl. More so that she's kind of a "girlie girl" which my wife is not. Although she loves catching bugs and playing sports.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My ten year old is now better at throwing a baseball than I am. Playing catch with him is more fun now, that I don't have to run after an errant thrown every minute.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RockyMtnChic wrote:

Funny you mention that. My wife and I noticed none of the parents at the park play with their kids. We do while they all sit and talk. It's come to the point where all of the 3 and 4 year olds swarm around us and ask to get a game of tag, duck duck goose, or hide and seek going. Other parents just ignore them and talk.

kids are only little for a few years make the most of it.
Quote Reply
Re: Just had a catch with my son [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
kids are only little for a few years make the most of it

I tell myself that to myself all the time.

The thing that gets me is parents at something like a park or playground with faces buried in their phones.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AndysStrongAle wrote:
[Funny you mention that. My wife and I noticed none of the parents at the park play with their kids. We do while they all sit and talk. It's come to the point where all of the 3 and 4 year olds swarm around us and ask to get a game of tag, duck duck goose, or hide and seek going. Other parents just ignore them and talk.

kids are only little for a few years make the most of it.

I'm glad others have noticed that. For awhile, I thought I was the weird, out-of-place immature parent who would play with the kids at the park/playground. Its usually only my wife and I playing with our kid. To be honest, I usually don't see a lot of other parents there period. You let your kid go to the park by himself at 3 or 4 with a 6yr old in charge of them? Granted I'm pseudo-helicopter parent, but that just sit well with me. They call it helicopter parenting, but as far as my wife and I are concerned, we just enjoy spending time and playing with our kid.

Other gripe: What's the point of taking your kid to the park/playground if you're only going to give him the phone/tablet and let him sit on his ass doing that?
Quote Reply
Re: Just had a catch with my son [nhunter344] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is generally the same group of parents each night. We are all friends but the parents go to socialize, even if the kids don't want to go to the park. At times the older kids, 6-8, leave and a parent is there without his kids talking. Kids already went home.

Sometimes I wonder what the others think of us, but I don't care, I know I'm being a good parent. They must think we are helicopter parents, which we probably are but I think that's ok when your shy kid is 3. At six that might be a different story.

My wife loves getting our girl to play. She is an awesome basketball and softball player. Me, hell I can't do a layup and lost to a 7 year old in horse the other day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AndysStrongAle wrote:
Funny you mention that. My wife and I noticed none of the parents at the park play with their kids. We do while they all sit and talk. It's come to the point where all of the 3 and 4 year olds swarm around us and ask to get a game of tag, duck duck goose, or hide and seek going. Other parents just ignore them and talk.

What happens if the kids were left to play with each other?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
And at 8 he throws a much better spiral then I do. Im probably 1 for 3 spiral vs duck. He's the opposite. It's embarrassing.

Worst part, one of the nuns at the school he used to go to taught him. After saying,"doesn't your dad play catch with you? Tell him to show you how to throw the ball."

He told her I did already.

so do you think you are the biological father?
Quote Reply
Re: Just had a catch with my son [mr. mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately for him, he is a mini me.

Quote Reply
Re: Just had a catch with my son [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:
There's something special about having a catch with your childs.

"Having a catch" - what the heck does that mean. Hey speak Murican. ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have 3 boys, 8, 6 and 3. I was convinced we were having boy #4. Shock of my life when she was born and it was a girl!! With 3 older brothers we figure she's going to be tough because she has to be!! And I'm going to bet she'll be able to throw a spiral and shoot a basket out of necessity!

Quote Reply
Re: Just had a catch with my son [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just strap them on and get on with life!! Otherwise I'd never get off the couch and the other kids wouldn't be too happy with me. We haven't done street hockey, but we've thrown a football, kicked soccer balls, shot basketball and then the hiking and walking, all with a baby either on our chests or back.

Quote Reply