Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Putting 13 year old lab down tomorrow. What to do with 3 year old lab
Quote | Reply
The vet is coming to our house tomorrow and I would like to know what others have done or would do in a similar situation. The 3 year old is tight with the 13 year old and hates to be alone. This will be rough on her. Should she be in the room when the procedure takes place or put her in another room until it's over and the 13 year old is removed?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Putting 13 year old lab down tomorrow. What to do with 3 year old lab [too.tall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hate these threads.

I'm sorry about your baby.

I always take my fur babies to the vet to have them put down. I have 6 dogs and it's just to much excitement.

:(

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix
Quote Reply
Re: Putting 13 year old lab down tomorrow. What to do with 3 year old lab [too.tall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First, I'm sorry to hear this and you have my condolences. Years ago, we had to put down one of our two dogs, who were from the same litter and inseparable. We did it at the Vet and brought both of them into the room. The one had been pretty sick for a long time and the time had come. We, of course were worried about how the other one would react. After the drugs were administered and she was gone, she walked over, gave her a long sniff, then turned and walked to the door and sat down, as if to say, "OK, time to move on". And she reacted fine living without her going forward.

Good luck.

"Honestly, triathlon is a pussified version of duathlon on that final run."- Desert Dude

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Always have the other dog in the room. Dogs "understand" death. They do not "understand" sudden absence. Everything I have read, and my own personal experience, indicates the other dog should be present.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with the others, it may be better to have both in the room.

We had to put down our 15 year old girl years ago, our younger girl saw us leave the house and definitely noticed her older sister didn't return and her behavior was very odd for a while. In hindsight, younger sis should have been there.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I, too, am sorry for you and your family. I agree-let the dogs be together as long as it is a peaceful thing. At home should be just fine. We had siblings and lost one at the vet due to an infection-the other never recovered. Never saw his sister again and I think it was horrifying for him. Wish I had known and brought him with us. So sorry, again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry for your loss, loosing a dog is hard.
Every situation is different, dogs adapt vey well in most cases.
We moved a lot and our dogs always adjusted fine.
We had to put two dogs to sleep over last three years.
First one was 16 years old and had a 1 year old sister who was not present, and even if they goT along very well, she didnt seems vervous or worried after this.
Then we adopted a very senior dog ( 15+) who wad put to sleep last christmas while the little one was then 3 years old and it was the same story. We were more affected than the dog but again every case is different so do the way you feel is right for you.
Sorry again for your loss.
I often think of those two dogs with some sadness but always with big smilemremembering them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh man. That's tough. I'm glad I was with my guy and he was at home when he went to forever sleep.

I wish you well.
Quote Reply
Re: Putting 13 year old lab down tomorrow. What to do with 3 year old lab [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all of the replies and condolences. This will be the third dog we have put down so there will soon be another box on the shelf to join the other two. It's hard but it does get easier and if you can look your dog in the eye and know you did your best for them during their life it makes it less painful to say good bye. The main thing going forward is make sure the three year old can thrive so we will be getting another dog before the summer is out. We have found two is better for us than one.

Peace
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have had a to unfortunately "lose" a few dogs through our life. Like you we had an older and younger dog. We had expected the 14 yr old lab to pass away but our five year old lab developed a sudden large brain tumour. He was in a bad sort. It was so unexpected and we made the hard decision after the MRI to not bring him home and he was euthanized. One of the hardest things we have done as it was unexpected and we did not have time to say good bye. The older one was lonely and we always liked to have two dogs so we brought in two young lab siblings. Ten months later it was time for our old fella. He could not eat or get up under his own power. We brought in a vet to the house and the family with the young labs got to snuggle and say a proper farewell and thank you. They knew and it felt so natural and right to say good bye. Going forward, I will always do it at home and involve whatever family is around, including the other dogs.

My condolences. It is a hard parting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had my younger ( by a year) in the room, they had been together for 15 years. She knew. They liked their own space but when my oldest had difficulty getting around, she slept right up against her. The day the vet came out she just laid there in front of me as I was cradling my oldest. Shook a little but I know she understood it was time. I do not think she would have handled it well if all of a sudden one day i had taken the oldest one away. Mine being different, they were both old ladies and the youngest let go shortly after after. A younger one will learn to move on.
Sorry you have to go through this. Sucks.
Quote Reply