Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Syracuse "deflater" admits and apologizes [Pat0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pat0 wrote:
How do I know that it wasn't a spur of the moment decision? It was premeditated. Look up any legal definition of the word.
She had to take certain steps to accomplish her mission. She had to do at least some investigating to determine where her victims bike was located. She had to lie in wait for the perfect time when no one else was around. She stalked the transition area. She didn't deflate just anyone's tire but someone she deemed a threat in the race.

She could have seen her competition close to her seen her leave transition then decided then to deflate the tyre. This could qualify as an impulsive decision. She still had intent to deflate the tyre it's just that she made it in spur of the moment as opposed to planning it well in advance. There doesn't appear to be any evidence of some big plan. She might have just seen her competition in transition that morning and decided do it then.
Quote Reply
Re: Syracuse "deflater" admits and apologizes [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fulla wrote:
Pat0 wrote:
How do I know that it wasn't a spur of the moment decision? It was premeditated. Look up any legal definition of the word.
She had to take certain steps to accomplish her mission. She had to do at least some investigating to determine where her victims bike was located. She had to lie in wait for the perfect time when no one else was around. She stalked the transition area. She didn't deflate just anyone's tire but someone she deemed a threat in the race.

She could have seen her competition close to her seen her leave transition then decided then to deflate the tyre. This could qualify as an impulsive decision. She still had intent to deflate the tyre it's just that she made it in spur of the moment as opposed to planning it well in advance. There doesn't appear to be any evidence of some big plan. She might have just seen her competition in transition that morning and decided do it then.

I'm going with "serial deflator" who stalks her peers in transition and opportunistically deflates at spur of the moment. My guess is that the intent is pre meditated, the victim set generally known (but could depend on who shows up), the stalking opportunistic, the final victim "spur of the moment" based on "clear shot to deflation". Kind of like serial shop lifters....by the time they get caught it has been going on for a while....what they are going to shop lift, when and how are opportunistic.

But maybe, just maybe, everything is crystal clean for an entire racing career until a single instance Syracuse deflategate, not to be confused that any serial deflategate episodes at Foxborough.
Quote Reply
Re: Syracuse "deflater" admits and apologizes [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
fulla wrote:
Pat0 wrote:

I'm going with "serial deflator" who stalks her peers in transition and opportunistically deflates at spur of the moment. My guess is that the intent is pre meditated, the victim set generally known (but could depend on who shows up), the stalking opportunistic, the final victim "spur of the moment" based on "clear shot to deflation". Kind of like serial shop lifters....by the time they get caught it has been going on for a while....what they are going to shop lift, when and how are opportunistic.

But maybe, just maybe, everything is crystal clean for an entire racing career until a single instance Syracuse deflategate, not to be confused that any serial deflategate episodes at Foxborough.

I guess I am the type of person who gives the benefit of doubt to people, rather than assuming, without facts, that anything a person does can be spun into a super negative. Again, since I do not know a single person who is "perfect", I sure try my best to not pre judge others. (Which I am not perfect with either)

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Syracuse "deflater" admits and apologizes [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Done a lot by people with severely skewed priorities.
---

That's a big leap in judgement.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Syracuse "deflater" admits and apologizes [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
---

Really? What would you call a person that goes MIA from their job or lies to their employer so they can run the Boston Marathon or race a triathlon or whatever. I would say that person has their priorities out of order.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look dude, I've worked for more than one organization that gave you personal days on paper but made them impossible to actually take. At one place, I didn't take a personal day for the first 4 years of employment. I was scheduled to put my dog down and they still refused to let me take the day off. I took it anyway. Under your code of ethics, I'm apparently a bad person.

I'm of the opinion that organizations who refuse to let someone take time off are the entities with their priorities out of whack. Personal days are there for personal reasons. You shouldn't be judging the employee for whatever their personal reason is.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Syracuse "deflater" admits and apologizes [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She's a teacher (or was) so by choosing to be a teacher you pretty much forgo being able to take off whenever you want during the school year. She has all summer to do whatever.

I do agree with you that if your employer makes it impossible to take vacation that the company sucks. You won't get an argument from me there. That stated, find a new job if it's such a big deal. Maybe easier said than done but life is too short to be miserable.

For me I've had to miss out on vacations or races because I had a trial scheduled and my personal days are of little concern to a federal judge or the prosecution or the defense. It sucks at times but I know the deal going in. I took on a new position recently that requires an extensive amount of training. Each class is a prerequisite for the next so I have to take the classes when they're available. It's going to ruin three trips I had planned this year. It is what it is. I "could" say fuck it and go on those trips and take the classes next year but I'm expected to get the shit done ASAP, and not just when I feel like it and when it suits me. So my vacations and races get prioritized as such.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife is a substitute teacher and the regular teachers contact her several weeks in advance to make sure she is available when they are going to be sick.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Tri-Banter wrote:
---

Really? What would you call a person that goes MIA from their job or lies to their employer so they can run the Boston Marathon or race a triathlon or whatever. I would say that person has their priorities out of order.

People come up with all kinds of convoluted excuses to miss work in all kinds of professions. It is just the way the world works. I know guys in my team blow off work to do personal stuff and that is fine by me, because at other times they donate their personal time for the company mission. I do the same and manage my time. As much as I detest the deflator for her deflating she would not be the first nor last teacher whose principal would not budge in days off for Kona or Boston so these teachers used the system to get what they needed to get done in their personal lives done. The problem is many principals won't give a pass on Kona or Boston, because every other teacher will want a pass for the beer league hockey or baseball tournament or darts or poker league. So in some cases the principal turns a blind eye during the sick day knowing full well that Boston or Kona are the real reasons. We live in an imperfect world. If you study to be a teacher first and become a competitive endurance freak later in life you really don't have the choice to change professions if you want to go to Boston
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
rubik wrote:
shady wrote:

2. Ms. Johnson, during April of 2016, falsified her attendance record; used paid “Family Care Days” when she was not entitled to do so; provided false information about the reasons for absence from work; was absent from school to participate in the Boston Marathon, without permission
.”

Errr, this is kind of done a lot. And I imagine it's not just teachers...

Done a lot by people with severely skewed priorities. Yes, I know some people that put their hobby above their family, friends, and job. Which she clearly does. I've had to cancel races and vacations for work reasons on several occasions. I had to cancel Whistler 70.3 next month due to a work trip, and I will more than likely need to bail on Augusta as well for the same reason. I'd much rather go to Whistler and Augusta than a freakin' work trip (who wouldn't) but my age group triathlon hobby doesn't pay my salary... my job does. I have some Type-A Triathlete asshole traits but skewed priorities isn't one of them. Family and work come before my dopey hobby.

Well, I guess we cant all be such bastions of morality. Fwiw, "mental health days" are pretty much the norm where I'm from. Just so happens my mental health coincides with my physical "health".
Quote Reply
Re: Syracuse "deflater" admits and apologizes [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
My wife is a substitute teacher and the regular teachers contact her several weeks in advance to make sure she is available when they are going to be sick.

Exactly. Because sick days are allocated for anything health related, including checkups and the like. And mental health days. Only way to survive some school years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fulla wrote:
Pat0 wrote:

Just coincidental that out of all the big guns in that age group , the victim was the ONLY one who wasn't on the Chatty Worlds list as of race morning.

Big Sexy Racing 2018
Quote Reply
Re: Syracuse "deflater" admits and apologizes [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
I want to believe her but I have to say I agree. The fact that she called it an "impulsive" decision shows she has a long way to to truly admitting to her problems. There was nothing impulsive about this.

Along with all the other chronicled impulsive decisions. I think, after recent cheater stories' that everyone now knows owning up is he quickest 'out' of the situation.

I hope she gets banned for life though, obviously. I don't give a shit if she has an eating disorder; I don't want my wife riding a dangerous bike because Miss Needy craves the attention of an AG win.

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fulla wrote:
I often wonder how many people replying on this thread and who basically say 'put her in jail' etc actually deal with people with psycho-social issues such as she seems to have?

Life and people are not black and white. She isn't evil, she's obviously just mixed up and has taken the type A triathlete thing to an extreme. If she has an eating disorder, her self-image is obviously quite distorted and much of her self-worth is probably invested in triathlon. We don't know what else is going on in her life apart from these actions. People with some of the characteristics she seems to have do act impulsively (I deal with them constantly in my line of work). We don't know when she decided to deflate her competition's tyres. It might have been as soon as she saw her leave transition - that is an impulsive action.

Whilst her actions could have resulted in injury etc, I think the actual risks stated by some are quite overstated.

I see your point. Ban her.

At least she has owned up, and accepted she did it. That's more than many people have done when it comes to issues like this.
Quote Reply

Prev Next