Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

swim in Long Island Sound in Stamford, CT?
Quote | Reply
Hi ST,

Has anyone ever done this? If so, is it nice? Worth it? I will be there this weekend and might swim Sat or Sun. Any place I should go for easy access from the shore? Recommendations for locations to swim? Times? Anything?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: swim in Long Island Sound in Stamford, CT? [michaer27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
michaer27 wrote:
Hi ST,

Has anyone ever done this? If so, is it nice? Worth it? I will be there this weekend and might swim Sat or Sun. Any place I should go for easy access from the shore? Recommendations for locations to swim? Times? Anything?

Thanks!

Do it at your own risk. Years ago I did the stamford tri. Beach was closed the day before and after the race for pollution. Haven't been in the sound since.
Quote Reply
Re: swim in Long Island Sound in Stamford, CT? [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to live on Shippan point, in Stamford. There are some beaches there that require parking stickers, but you can always just park on Shippan Ave on in the neighborhood there, and walk 50 yards to the beach. There is another beach right by there, across the boat channel that is nicer. Take a look at google maps to see.

There are nicer beaches up and down the coast (Tod's Point in Greenwich comes to mind), but they often are restricted to residents only.

Now, the water is not particularly clear, and can be cold. I never really spent much time in it, outside of the local triathlons in the area.

Now, I'm in Puerto Rico this week, and doing some open water swimming in the Caribbean. Warm, but a lot more enjoyable than Long Island Sound!

Cheers,
Sam
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
michaer27 wrote:
Hi ST,

Thanks!

Do it at your own risk. Years ago I did the stamford tri. Beach was closed the day before and after the race for pollution. Haven't been in the sound since.

I did that race too, there was a heavy, heavy rainstorm the day and night before the race, in those instances combined sewer systems lead to pollution with the overflow due to rainwater.

Just don't do your swim directly after a rainstorm and pollution should not be a problem.

I live in stamford. Tods point in old greenwich would be best place, but in summer they are pretty strict about resident only access to the park there, Idk if they offer day passes or anything. Maybe call town of greenwich or old greenwich and fiND out. Other than that, yes I would head down to shippan point somewhere.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My fiance's family lives just east of New Haven, close to their town is Madison, the beach there is quite nice for swimming, albeit a bit short.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're good to go pretty much anywhere you can access the water. Shippan Point would be my choice since it has a beach and is away from the active harbor mouth. Forget Tod's Point in OG unless you get there before 7:00 am -- resident passes are required to get in after that. Water isn't too cold right now -- around 68 degrees -- so you should be fine. Plenty of people swim OW up here so have fun!!

I proudly DO NOT post my workouts on Facebook!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3 years later and picking this thread up in the hope that either those who participated have further info or if there is anybody else in the area who can advise

Just moved to Stamford (Harbor Poit). Would be great to get back in the water and so many beaches nearby. Parks and rec list them as closed but a local police officer told me I should be fine if im in the water solo early morning, so keen to know which beach would be the best option for solo swimming perhaps? Weather not warm enough for the beaches to be occupied (even with COVID) so there are no people lay on the beaches yet
Quote Reply
Re: swim in Long Island Sound in Stamford, CT? [samills610] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
years ago, I swam a bunch of times out of Cove Island park on Stamford/Darien boarder. It was early morning and I could swim over towards Weed beach and back or a longer one was over to Pratt Island, only did that once. It's about a half mile one way. You would have to be careful of boat traffic in the cove. I'd stick to the Weed beach route. It's about 400 meters according to google. Not sure what parking enforcement is like now. The ice rink is across the casueway if you had trouble and that's almost always open. Depending on when you go, it's going to be cold there at least until mid-June with all the rain and cold weather we've had in the northeast.

good luck if something works out for you

Great things never come from comfort zones.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Better check the water temperature
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seaside Park in Bridgeport, about 30 minutes up the shore, has a pretty long beach. I've only been once, for the sprint tri there last year, but it was pretty clean.
Quote Reply
Re: swim in Long Island Sound in Stamford, CT? [Geronimo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Geronimo wrote:
Seaside Park in Bridgeport, about 30 minutes up the shore, has a pretty long beach. I've only been once, for the sprint tri there last year, but it was pretty clean.

Parking there might be a challenge. Not sure if the park is open during the shut down, but their out-of-town day passes are pretty pricy. UB has tons of parking, but idk if they are enforcing parking stickers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grew on Long Island, but the LI sound is nasty. I don't know of many people who swam in it. Also will not be warm this time of the year.
Quote Reply
Re: swim in Long Island Sound in Stamford, CT? [BevK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
growing up in Bridgeport taught me to be wary of Seaside. The area around the park is not the best. It isn't bad early in the morning, but as it gets later, it is pretty sketchy. You will also need a Bpt resident parking sticker to park near the beach. I would be nervous walking from UB campus to the beach.

If you were going to travel outside of Stamford to swim I would go to Sherwood Island St park in Norwalk, 15 min from Stamford They have/had the Mossman tri there. I'm not sure how much parking is, but I know there is a booth to get past to park close by. The problem would be, getting to Bridgeport or Norwalk involves route 95 which could easily turn a 10-15 min ride to 40. I would think you could find somewhere to swim in the sound in Stamford and save yourself some $$ and time.

Great things never come from comfort zones.
Quote Reply
Re: swim in Long Island Sound in Stamford, CT? [samills610] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Water is still terrible. Beaches are getting "full" on the nicer days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The water in the sound can be great during the summer. In Stamford, check out Cummings Point - it's where they hold the Fairfield county Swim Across America event. I've never swam there but, it's a pretty big event and you're a resident so you can get a pass.

Due to COVID, Tod's Point in Greenwich is only open to Greenwich residents but who knows what will happen this year. They normally set out the buoys for OWS but nobody is allowed in the water yet for this year and it's still way too cold anyway. In the past, if you're not a resident, you can get in before 7am on a bike (many ppl park at the train station and ride over) or you have to purchase the parking pass.

In terms of water quality, both Stamford and Greenwich test but I'd take the advice of the above as well and stay out of the water for 24hrs after a big storm.

Can't wait to get out there this season.
Quote Reply
Re: swim in Long Island Sound in Stamford, CT? [dani-x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And just after posting the above, I received this in an email...

CITY OF STAMFORD BEACHES
West Beach and Cove Island Park:
Open weekends starting Memorial Day Weekend: May 23-24 till Labor Day Weekend September 5-6.
Open weekday starting Monday, May 25- Monday, September 7.
Lifeguard Hours: 10:00 AM - 6:00 PM

Cummings Beach:
Due to COVID-19 testing Lifeguards will be on duty 7 days per week at Cummings Beach from 1:00pm to 6:00pm.
Open weekends starting Memorial Day Weekend: May 23-24 until Labor Day Weekend September 5-6.
Open weekday starting Monday, May 25- Monday, September 7.
Lifeguard Hours: 1:00pm-6:00pm

Quick question for anybody that may save me a call to the rec (Non-american here so likely not just a CT question)... The beach permits that are required - is this just to park a car? We dont have a car and even when we get one I will run/cycle to the beaches around here. Had assumed it was just for parking a vehicle but then was denied entry in to Tod's Point (which is mentioned above) whilst cycling yesterday

May try to go to Cummings and work out somewhere to hide my stuff and go for a swim this weekend. Thanks both
Quote Reply
Re: swim in Long Island Sound in Stamford, CT? [Barry S.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Barry S. wrote:
growing up in Bridgeport taught me to be wary of Seaside. The area around the park is not the best. It isn't bad early in the morning, but as it gets later, it is pretty sketchy. You will also need a Bpt resident parking sticker to park near the beach. I would be nervous walking from UB campus to the beach.

Same
Quote Reply