Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Questions - Garmin Forerunner 935 Multisport Mode
Quote | Reply
I have two simple questions regarding the Multisport mode on the Garmin Forerunner 935 as I am hoping to not be surprised in the middle of my race this weekend.

1) For the power meter, with my 910xt I would pair the watch with my bike/power meter in transition before the race and then when I came back 90 minutes later in T1, I would be set even if I set up Multisport mode as I am waiting for the swim to start. Will the same thing happen with the 935? The watch seems to look for the power meter again each time I switch from watch mode to a bike training mode.

2) If my autolap is turned on, will the 935 think that I finished one of the legs of the race when a lap hits (500 yards swimming or 5 miles biking) or will it only transition to the next leg when I manually hit the lap button?

I have had the 935 for two weeks and I definitely like the watch so far, but I am still learning how to use all of the various features.
Quote Reply
Re: Questions - Garmin Forerunner 935 Multisport Mode [spcasey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can give you 735XT answers, but theoretically they should be the same, since the OS is essentially the same. But, someone with a 935 would have to confirm or override.

1) I have yet to get my 735XT to connect to my PM in a race with multisport mode. It connects fine if I am just doing a bike. Oddly, I have a Stryd PM for running, and the 735XT will connect to that. Compounding the problem, I cannot figure out how to safely get into a menu on the watch to force it to connect to the bike PM.

2) Auto-lap does not affect the mode switching at all. It works perfectly in biking and running. (I do not have an auto-lap set for swimming, so I cannot confirm that one.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 935 and can confirm auto lap works OK, so no worries there.

One thing I did not do though was pair my PM in transition before the swim (not sure why probably just disorganised). Anyway, as we all could guess it did not sync so had no data and got an understandable telling off from coach. Have not done so yet but will test out before the next race.
Quote Reply
Re: Questions - Garmin Forerunner 935 Multisport Mode [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you. I will try a test when I go out for my next bike ride so see if it will work. Otherwise it will be exciting trying to find buttons during the race as you say. I am heavily dependent on racing with a bike power reading.

In my first post I said that I paired in transition. I actually usually pair at my car as I always have the fear that I will pair with the wrong bike in transition
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do a multisport test before a race! For your next brick start in multisport mode, flail like you are swimming doesn't matter how long 10 seconds is enough, switch to bike and go do your ride, then run. You'll probably find some gotchas you need to iron out before race day.

Multisport mode on garmin watches has always been a buggy affair.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got a 935 right before Boulder. Like the other poster said, auto lap works fine.

When I first got the watch, it needed to be manually connected to the power meter every single time (arggg). Then after a software update around June 10th, the issue went away and once again everything is right in whoville.

Team Kiwami
Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Questions - Garmin Forerunner 935 Multisport Mode [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
Multisport mode on garmin watches has always been a buggy affair.

Not in my experience with the 305, 310, 910 and the 920. Any problems I've had have been caused by my own stupidity, usually pressing buttons at the wrong time, pressing the wrong button, or not getting it set up properly.

I do accept there occasional glitches with these watches, but overall, they work. At least mine have done.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Questions - Garmin Forerunner 935 Multisport Mode [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
I can give you 735XT answers, but theoretically they should be the same, since the OS is essentially the same. But, someone with a 935 would have to confirm or override.

1) I have yet to get my 735XT to connect to my PM in a race with multisport mode. It connects fine if I am just doing a bike. Oddly, I have a Stryd PM for running, and the 735XT will connect to that. Compounding the problem, I cannot figure out how to safely get into a menu on the watch to force it to connect to the bike PM.

2) Auto-lap does not affect the mode switching at all. It works perfectly in biking and running. (I do not have an auto-lap set for swimming, so I cannot confirm that one.)

I can confirm from a recent race that the 935 automatically connected to my power meter during the race in triathlon mode, and I did not connect it in transition before the race (you should never have to "pair" it more than once with your bike's PM). This is unlike the 735, which failed to connect every time. The 920 always worked too, so this for me at least was only a problem with the 735.

I'm very happy with the 935.

Ian
Quote Reply