Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Pick 5: 70.3 races... [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a challenge race in St. Andrews New Brunswick I think in July. Should be nice

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Pick 5: 70.3 races... [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the Canada races are going to have to come a few years down the line. Other countries are good though!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My list (in no particular order) although I wouldn't WANT to race five 70.3's.....and I'm pretty sure some of these conflict with dates....

1) Lake Placid (this year is in August, not sure when 2018 will be.)

2) August 27th - Rev 3 Maine (now Ironman but still run by Rev 3 - not sure what next year will hold but this was a FANTASTIC venue in the past.)

3) June - Mont Tremblant

4) August 5th - Boulder

5) Oct 29th - Austin

6) Extras I'd like to check out eventually <my prerogative to add extra> -- Chattanooga, North Carolina (because both are also driving distance too.)

I've personally been done the course for three of these. Lake Placid is probably my favorite one, but the rest are pretty darn close. I wouldn't have to fly to Lake Placid, Mont Tremblant, or Maine - so those are higher on my list.

For "destination" ones- maybe give Dublin a try (only because I would really like to get back to Ireland, and a 70.3 won't leave me limping around for days afterwards.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you might be right on time for Ironman Florida 70.3 (Haines City). Its a small town with very few lodging or eating options (if you are going to Orlando it might be better just to stay in Orlando and drive from your Hotel there).

the race itself is very nice, a very nice lake with a beach and park, very friendly for the family. Nice lake swim (bonus: its been wetsuit legal for the last two years, since they moved it to April), bike is not so flat as you would expect in Florida and it can be windy, same thing for the run, its a 3-loop course around the lake with a couple of hills. i've done it twice and have enjoyed that race very much!

as for Iceland, never been there but i have done two Challenges (one of them the short-lived Challenge Atlantic City, my first 140.6 race) and i love their culture and organization... by far the best-organized race i've done, and the best goodie bag! i hope they do come back to the US, i think we could use some more competition, WTC is not what it used to be....
Quote Reply
Re: Pick 5: 70.3 races... [Economist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Economist wrote:
Los Cabo's has a travel warning issued from the US State Department. Last week (or week before) they found a mass grave on the beach. Gangs are fighting each other.

I'm leaving for my honeymoon in two weeks to Cabo San Lucas so I was a little concerned about it. I've never been to the area. San Lucas is deemed safer than Los Cabos, from what I'm told. I've read a lot about the warning and apparently it's still very very safe there.

I've been to Cabo too many times to count. San Jose Cabo is no safer nor more dangerous than Cabo San Lucas. Not sure what hotel you are staying at, but it's a safe town, plus I doubt you would even returnee to anywhere "unsafe" and where tourists don't go.

Make sure to check out the restaurant Flora Farms in San Jose Cabo. It is amazing. Enjoy and congrats on the marriage.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Notes take on Racine...if the race is so bad why did they so many pros racing it this past year?

Because of the prize money, no other reason. They continually put a $50,000 purse, which is one of the largest you will see at a 70.3 race. We are human- we follow the money.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did Puerto Rico this year and really enjoyed it. Most likely going back. I liked that you needn't leave the resort, and in my case I had a direct flight option. The course is also relatively scenic.

I was interested in Cartegena, but the flights were a nightmare, and the logistics of the event sounded horrible. Looks like a great place to visit though.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LifeTri wrote:
Thanks for the detail everyone. I do have a couple of questions.

1. The wife wants to go to Orlando for her birthday in April and she wants to be able to do a triathlon while we are down there (yes she does them too). Any suggestions?
  2. We went to Iceland last year and FELL IN LOVE with the people and the landscape. Has anyone done the Iceland triathlon? http://www.challenge-family.com/challenge-iceland/

Thanks in advance.

I haven't but a couple of people who have commented in this thread: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ge_Iceland_P5968437/

I lived there a couple years as a kid and was there last March. With the Icelandair stopover program you can stay a week on either side of a trip to Europe. I hope to be back over there next summer. I hope to do the race some year although the water temp is a little frightening (57 degrees is my coldest swim to date).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LifeTri wrote:
Stephensjer wrote:
LifeTri wrote:
Thanks for the detail everyone. I do have a couple of questions.

1. The wife wants to go to Orlando for her birthday in April and she wants to be able to do a triathlon while we are down there (yes she does them too). Any suggestions?
  2. We went to Iceland last year and FELL IN LOVE with the people and the landscape. Has anyone done the Iceland triathlon? http://www.challenge-family.com/challenge-iceland/

Thanks in advance.

There's the Ironman 70.3 in Haines City. That's about 20 minutes from Disney and about 10-15 minutes from a rental house I own... :)

Sheesh, that sounds convenient. I don't think she will be 70.3 ready at that point, though.

You better hope that the sun and heat don't come that day. I have had many friends do that 70.3 and suffer through it because of the heat. These are FOP AG racers as well, not Joe and Sally Doe that train 2x a week. The heat index can and will make that race like crossing death valley.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clermont is 20 miles west of Orlando- lots of good races there.
Quote Reply
Re: Pick 5: 70.3 races... [mtrichick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mtrichick wrote:
My list (in no particular order) although I wouldn't WANT to race five 70.3's.....and I'm pretty sure some of these conflict with dates....

1) Lake Placid (this year is in August, not sure when 2018 will be.)

I'm pretty sure the Lake Placid 70.3 is Sept 10th this year.
Quote Reply
Re: Pick 5: 70.3 races... [1drbread] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are right- Sep 10th. Not sure why I was thinking August.....
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: Pick 5: 70.3 races... [mtrichick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
one more to consider. The White Mountain Triathlon in Franconia NH. Early in the season (late june) but a BEAUTIFUL course and the hills will get you ready for later season races..
low key..this year only about 300 athletes between the 3 races (sprint / oly/ 70,3)
Quote Reply
Re: Pick 5: 70.3 races... [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Stehensjer
In Reply To:
cheoherrera
- I think I may end up doing the Florida 70.3 that you are mentioning. Is the heat a real concern? I hate the heat and would rather race in snow or rain.

In Reply To:
dangle
- I am not a huge fan of the midwest but have never been to Muncie. What made you like Muncie so much? For me (from Philly) it would be a two day drive out there with the family. The good news is I can drop the 2 & 4 year old off with their grandparents in Pittsburgh on the way through. Just wondering if you think its worth that kind of haul. But this could be a race that the wife and I can do together without the kids...bonus!

In Reply To:
mtrichick
In Reply To:
hadukla
- Maine may need to happen. I have been reading so many good things about it. It also got good props, so did REV3 in general, from other triathletes here at the Escape Series Triathlon in Philly this weekend.

In Reply To:
huffnpuff
- Thanks for the link on the Iceland event. I love the cold and racing in the cold. This may seal the deal for me doing it!

In Reply To:
happyscientist
- I know the bike course on Savageman as I am originally from the south hills of Pittsburgh. There is a reason they have people dressed up as devils chasing you up the hill. Brutal (Side note: I may be doing the bike course this Friday with a buddy.)

In Reply To:
fxjeffrey
- Thanks for the note on The White Mountain Triathlon - Looking at the races it appears that they have shortened the run course on the Olympic distance (less than 5 miles)...which is bad news for me. I know that I was asking about 70.3 but looking at the timing of the race i think and Olympic distance fits here...and I enjoy the run the most. The pictures look beautiful though!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did Syracuse this year. Nice course but it's tough. It was super hot and windy this year as well. Looking at your list, you should look at some non Ironman branded events. There are some great events put on by smaller companies. They're cheaper as well.

Look at Lake Logan Half in NC or Savageman in MD.
Quote Reply

Prev Next