Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How do you deal with spam mail?
Quote | Reply
I use gmail. Every day, I get a handful of spam mail. For example, I booked a room in Whistler once. Now I get "special offers" from whistler every god damned day, despite having unsubscribed them a few times in the past.

I probably spend time every few days unsubscribing from various email lists, special offerings emails. I'm very careful, whenever I buy something to make sure I haven't clicked the "Yes I would like to receive hourly emails from you" buttons, but it doesn't seem to matter. Is there a better way to go about ridding my email from this annoyance? Simply unsubscribing doesn't really seem to do the trick in a lot of cases and most of these emails are getting past the spam filters.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you deal with spam mail? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can send them to junk mail. I'm pretty sure Google has a block sender too, but I'm not sure.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I send them to a junk folder. Not sure how gmail works but I create a rule which outs certain senders or subject lines right into a junk folder which I can just dump.

Wearing my tinfoil hat it seems like sometimes when I unsubscribe to emails I start getting an entire new batch from different senders. That's why I prefer sending to junk.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
I use gmail. Every day, I get a handful of spam mail. For example, I booked a room in Whistler once. Now I get "special offers" from whistler every god damned day, despite having unsubscribed them a few times in the past.

I probably spend time every few days unsubscribing from various email lists, special offerings emails. I'm very careful, whenever I buy something to make sure I haven't clicked the "Yes I would like to receive hourly emails from you" buttons, but it doesn't seem to matter. Is there a better way to go about ridding my email from this annoyance? Simply unsubscribing doesn't really seem to do the trick in a lot of cases and most of these emails are getting past the spam filters.

DO NOT DO THIS (the bolded parts)

A lot of times, the "unsubscribe" option is really a "confirm we hit a real email address so that we can continue to send more spam" option.

Instead, use Gmail's filter options to just skip the Inbox and delete it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Click the "report spam" tab and unsubscribe. However, I do admit feeling guilty about not accepting the billions of dollars that I have passed up from unknown people in Nigeria.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree with send to junk or mark them junk.

I've read you should not unsubscribe.

It tells the spammer your email is "live." While you may stop emails from that spammer, they will sell your data to others. Hence the proliferation of more spam.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unroll.me seems effective.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you deal with spam mail? [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good to know!

Now only if I could find a way to do the same with telemarketers!

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use Google's "Inbox" program instead of Gmail itself, but I'm pretty sure that under the hood, the guts of each are basically the same.

Like others, I've gotten out of the habit of using "unsubscribe" options, and I instead rely on flagging messages as spam.

Inbox then does a pretty nice job of auto-junking any future messages - it's not 100% perfect, but it works well enough for me.

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[Pink]I answer it all! In fact, I am still waiting for that check from the Kenyan Prince. [Pink]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mark them as Spam and Gmail will learn. I find it remarkable in its ability to pull actual email out of Spam. I never get Spam in my primary inbox anymore. I get ads in my promotion folder, but it is all stuff that I sort of feel I might want to look at, but it is tucked away so I don't have to. To me, the amazing thing is that when I was dealing with getting a new mortgage, it could tell the difference between the general mortgage spam and the people I was actually working with.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Have you checked what your phone provider provides? Ours (Charter) recommended nomorobo and it seems to work pretty well although we've only used it for a week.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you deal with spam mail? [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
schroeder wrote:

Have you checked what your phone provider provides? Ours (Charter) recommended nomorobo and it seems to work pretty well although we've only used it for a week.

x2. I started using this six months ago and the number of multi-ring calls has dropped substantially. You may still hear one ring before the tool kicks in and "hangs up". Not perfect but better than simply ignoring the call.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you deal with spam mail? [HandHeartCrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
X3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it depends whether it's unsolicited spam and phishing attempts (Nigerians wanting to transfer $30m to your bank account, etc) or actual companies that you've purchased something from or given your details to at some point and who for some reason are convinced that the best way to get you to buy again is bombarding you with daily offers.

The former I block sender, and mark as junk. But I also find that mail providers including gmail are now pretty decent at filtering out most of these.

For companies I recognise as having used at some point, I use the unsubscribe link. And where given the option, I normally tell them why I'm doing it e.g. the fact that I bought a kid's bed off them 3 years ago doesn't mean I want to receive multiple updates per day on the world of children's furniture, I'm not running an orphanage. I'm probably wasting my time, but it makes me feel better. I find unsubscribing to be very effective - every now and then I do a good clear-out, and my inbox is normally fairly quiet for a while after this.

The other thing I do which I heartily recommend is keeping a separate email address specifically for using whenever you need to provide an email address for online purchases. Keeps the spam separate from the important stuff that way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it comes from companies I've done business with it just get deleted. Unsolicited spam from unknown sources gets marked as spam, then deleted. It's probably 95+% that simply gets deleted and the others get sent to the spam folder. It probably takes less than a couple minutes a day.

Don

Tri-ing to have fun. Anything else is just a bonus!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hit reply and send a dick pic

If I don't, who will? -Me
It's like being bipolar in opinion is a requirement around here. -TripleThreat
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Good to know!

If you are getting them on your mobile, you can block them on an iPhone easily. I used to get calls from the same number repeatedly until I figured this out. Settings>phone>Can't remember the rest

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply