Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pool in Austin?
Quote | Reply
I will be Austin next week for work, right down by the convention center. Does anyone know of a lap pool nearby? I won't have a car, so it needs to be rather close, but I only need it for one day so I can cab if needed. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Pool in Austin? [ironcode] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You'll have to cab it, but Big Stacy is a nice (and free) pool. It's 33.33 yards. Barton Springs is probably closer, and is a natural (and cold) pool. I think there is a small entrance fee.

Attacking this day with enthusiasm unknown to mankind.
Quote Reply
Re: Pool in Austin? [LundyLund] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I recommend Deep Eddy. I live right next to it and go there daily. It's a natural pool and is 33.33 yards. It's $3/day for Austin residents and I think $8-10 per day for non-residents. Barton Springs is nice and very good for open water swim practice as it's a natural pool as well and is insanely long. You can get in there for free before 8 am daily. It opens at 5 am. You can also try Gregory gym up at UT. It is a traditional 25 yard lap pool but you can also use their gym and everything else for $13/day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
two good options. Deep Eddy is a bit away from the convention center but it's more of a conventional pool with lanes etc. It is fed by natural spring water and doesn't have a cleaning system so there can be muck on the bottom and leaves floating etc. I wouldn't worry about that though.

Second, and in my opinion better, option is Barton Springs. Barton springs is more like a dammed creek bed than it is a conventional pool. But it's 400m long and if you go in the mornings it's perfectly lap-swimmable, but it won't be for a conventional workout, because there's no flip turns there's no lane lines. It'll me more like open water practice. The water is pretty chilly, I'd say 65 degrees or so. If you're not a cold-water person you might want to avoid it though. I
Quote Reply
Re: Pool in Austin? [JustinPB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you both, I will try Barton Springs I think!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you go before 8 I think it's free.
Quote Reply
Re: Pool in Austin? [JustinPB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would most def try Barton Springs. Its pretty cool place to get in some out door swimming. If not there are a bunch of LA finesses or 24 hour fitness around.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ironcode wrote:

Oh yeah, when one visits Austin, swim @ Barton Springs, it's a must.

Enjoy!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can walk to the YMCA which is about a block away from WF.

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: Pool in Austin? [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's "WF"?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whole Foods, the mother ship

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep in mind that Barton Springs is closed from 9 am to 7 pm on Thursdays for cleaning. It's open the early and late hours still. Also if there was heavy rain the day before sometimes Barton Springs has to close. But it's an awesome pool so do check it out if you can.
Quote Reply
Re: Pool in Austin? [BlackStumpGumby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for that tip!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BS is great, definitely a place to swim while you are here. It is pretty cold, at around 20c (I usually swim in a wetsuit). At sunrise it is pretty much sublime and a perfect way to start the day. Be aware, if you swim in mid morning or later, you will be swamped with kids and families and partiers.

Quote Reply
Re: Pool in Austin? [B3CK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B3CK wrote:
ironcode wrote:

Oh yeah, when one visits Austin, swim @ Barton Springs, it's a must.

Enjoy!

Barton Springs is awesome. I've never seen anything like it. For a triathlete in town for a few days, it's the way to go - fer sure. On a hot day all the better. My local pool is so hot now doing anything serious is challenging - and borderline dangerous. Barton springs is chilly, but that'll keep ya moving right along.

Enjoy the journey

Z Tajus (sp) has awesome food.

Dang, I miss my business trips to Austin.

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply