Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Email Scam Hits NY Supreme Court Judge: Wires $1 MILLION to Fraudsters
Quote | Reply
In fairness to the judge, it sounds like she fell victim to a social engineering scam, in that she thought the email was from her real estate lawyer (she was trying to sell her Upper East Side apartment). The scammer directed her to wire a little more than $1 million to an account in Arizona. From there, the money was transferred to a Commerce Bank of China account in Hong Kong.

Still, she fell for a SINGLE email and didn't even bother to check with her lawyer before wiring the dough-ray-me? C'mon, Your Honor. ;-)

New York Supreme Court judge scammed out of $1m by email | Daily Mail Online

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Email Scam Hits NY Supreme Court Judge: Wires $1 MILLION to Fraudsters [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That story makes no sense, why would she send money to her lawyer if the lawyer was selling the apartment? The lawyer should be sending money to her.

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Re: Email Scam Hits NY Supreme Court Judge: Wires $1 MILLION to Fraudsters [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Email Scam Hits NY Supreme Court Judge: Wires $1 MILLION to Fraudsters [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:

LOL! When I clicked on the link about the judge, I was half hoping a Nigerian prince was involved. That would have been perfection. ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not surprised.

Good scammers know to go after the people who are too busy to read an email thoroughly or give something a 2nd thought. These people also tend to be the executives or 'faces' of the company who have more wealth to steal.

My company's Information Security dept sends out fake scam emails trying to prep people. If they click on a link, it send them to our information security page saying you failed. I think we have something like a 30% failure rate.
Quote Reply
Re: Email Scam Hits NY Supreme Court Judge: Wires $1 MILLION to Fraudsters [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
30%? OUCH!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wait until she finds out she doesn't actually own the Brooklyn Bridge either.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
one thing i never understood - in NY state the "supreme court" is the lowest court not the highest

from wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_Supreme_Court

"Unlike in most other states, the Supreme Court is a trial court and is not the highest court in the state."
Last edited by: ChiTownJack: Jun 21, 17 6:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
In fairness to the judge, it sounds like she fell victim to a social engineering scam, in that she thought the email was from her real estate lawyer (she was trying to sell her Upper East Side apartment). The scammer directed her to wire a little more than $1 million to an account in Arizona. From there, the money was transferred to a Commerce Bank of China account in Hong Kong.

Still, she fell for a SINGLE email and didn't even bother to check with her lawyer before wiring the dough-ray-me? C'mon, Your Honor. ;-)

Where's the outrage that a judge has 1MM to send?
Quote Reply
Re: Email Scam Hits NY Supreme Court Judge: Wires $1 MILLION to Fraudsters [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, that was my question as well. But, do we know whether she is married? Family money?

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Email Scam Hits NY Supreme Court Judge: Wires $1 MILLION to Fraudsters [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, that was my question as well. But, do we know whether she is married? Family money? //

Shit you guys, do you have no concept of what New York real estate is worth? She sold an Eastside apt., go look up what those sell for and then come back and tell me how people who sell there get a million bucks...
Quote Reply
Re: Email Scam Hits NY Supreme Court Judge: Wires $1 MILLION to Fraudsters [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Well, that was my question as well. But, do we know whether she is married? Family money? //

Shit you guys, do you have no concept of what New York real estate is worth? She sold an Eastside apt., go look up what those sell for and then come back and tell me how people who sell there get a million bucks...

How did she get it in the first place? Chuck Rhodes makes $168K a year!
Quote Reply
Re: Email Scam Hits NY Supreme Court Judge: Wires $1 MILLION to Fraudsters [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:
monty wrote:

Family money, successful husband, successful law career before becoming a judge. That was the least of things I was questioning regarding this.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: Email Scam Hits NY Supreme Court Judge: Wires $1 MILLION to Fraudsters [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

The story says she was "attempting to sell" her east side apartment, not that she sold it. This is why everyone was scratching their heads over her transferring money to the alleged lawyer who was assisting her in selling the apartment.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Email Scam Hits NY Supreme Court Judge: Wires $1 MILLION to Fraudsters [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
johnnybefit wrote:
monty wrote:

Family money, successful husband, successful law career before becoming a judge. That was the least of things I was questioning regarding this.

Well, that's why I asked about a spouse and family money. Her Ballotpedia page shows she is a life long judicial clerk to traffic court judge to family court judge to her current position. There was no "successful law career before becoming a judge."

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I dont know, judges make good money and real estate in NY appreciates more than the national average. I have a friend who was a struggling pro triathlete who moved to Menlo Park 20+ years ago and bought a fixer upper for $215k. It just got rented out at a $2 million price tag and he now went and bought a 1+ million home on the beach in Santa Cruz, all paid for by some google executives rent on his old shitty house. I'm sure the judge makes way more than my friend did, and even around me virtually every house is worth close to a million on average, most over that. Not sure what you guys are finding strange here, some Realestate markets make a lot of average earners millionaires on paper, and once they sell, real ones. NY is one of those areas..
Last edited by: monty: Jun 21, 17 8:47
Quote Reply
Re: Email Scam Hits NY Supreme Court Judge: Wires $1 MILLION to Fraudsters [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Leddy wrote:
johnnybefit wrote:
monty wrote:

Well, that's why I asked about a spouse and family money. Her Ballotpedia page shows she is a life long judicial clerk to traffic court judge to family court judge to her current position. There was no "successful law career before becoming a judge."

What's the going rate in NY for fixing traffic tickets?

It is curious how she has that much liquid cash to send out. While there may be a lot of people who could scrape that together given time if their life depended on it, she seems to have had it in a mason jar (how big of a mason jar do you need to hold $1mill?) in the pantry waiting to be shipped.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Email Scam Hits NY Supreme Court Judge: Wires $1 MILLION to Fraudsters [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:

It is curious how she has that much liquid cash to send out. While there may be a lot of people who could scrape that together given time if their life depended on it, she seems to have had it in a mason jar

Peasant
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exactly. $1 mil buys you probably a shitty one bedroom upper East Side, no doorman, in NYC. She could have bought his 20 years ago for like $200K. You live in a hot real estate market, you reap the benefits.

our real estate market in Boise is super hot. i just sold a house... got 3x what I paid for it in '99. my neighbor, who bought his house 2 years ago, saw the all-cash bidding war I (won) and is now selling his... for $100K above what he paid for less than 2 years ago. thank you NorCal buyers :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

I caught that in the article as well. But I didn't want to start some sort of class warfare situation in this thread. ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
johnnybefit wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

I caught that in the article as well. But I didn't want to start some sort of class warfare situation in this thread. ;-)

Sorry - I started it. My apologies.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
monty wrote:

The story says she was "attempting to sell" her east side apartment, not that she sold it. This is why everyone was scratching their heads over her transferring money to the alleged lawyer who was assisting her in selling the apartment.
Maybe her lawyer said she had to put up 1 million in escrow for repairs, or perhaps opposite of earnest money if there is such a thing. i.e. you back out of deal I get 1million for my time.
Quote Reply