Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

1UP Bike Carrier - 5 Bikes - Best Option Platform Carrier
Quote | Reply
Reviewing 1Up Bike Carrier - is this the way to go for 5 bikes?

Looks like you could buy the double quick rack and add on the compatible quick rack extensions.

Thoughts, are they worth the cost? Is there better option out there?

(I prefer the platform style of carrier)
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: 1UP Bike Carrier - 5 Bikes - Best Option Platform Carrier [thunderdouble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thunderdouble wrote:
Reviewing 1Up Bike Carrier - is this the way to go for 5 bikes?

Looks like you could buy the double quick rack and add on the compatible quick rack extensions.

Thoughts, are they worth the cost? Is there better option out there?

(I prefer the platform style of carrier)
Thanks!

I think you need to call them and see what their maximum weight/rack capacity. They used to advertise their racks (the ones we have) could hold four bikes, and now they advertise three bikes. I believe the change was because of the many heavy downhill, fat tire, e-bikes , etc. We carry 4 bikes all the time with ours, but our bikes are on the lighter side. They do advertise a heavy duty model can hold 4 bikes. Maybe that option can hold five lighter bikes? Zero regrets on the cost and function of the rack.
Last edited by: wetswimmer99: Jun 20, 17 18:45
Quote Reply
Re: 1UP Bike Carrier - 5 Bikes - Best Option Platform Carrier [wetswimmer99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the change was primarily made because 4 (heavy) bikes on a light duty (1 1/4") hitch could overwhelm the hitch. With the 2" (class III?) more capacity is guaranteed.

1up probably has a max capacity of 4 listed, but the modular design means you can bolt 10 trays together if you want to. If you want to put 5 bikes on, make sure your trailer hitch and vehicle are made for serious towing and double check all the aspects of your hitch capacity. You'll end up with a pretty long arm swinging around on the back and it probably isn't a good idea to go against the manufacturer's advice.

Presumably you're only going to be hauling 5 bikes on a infrequent basis, I would give some thought to putting two on the roof.
Last edited by: commendatore: Jun 21, 17 5:03
Quote Reply