Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pacing for IMLP
Quote | Reply
Need some help with pacing for IMLP -- I am not sure I believe BBS's numbers. I feel I have made every attempt to be as accurate as possible on my measurements. In my post race analysis BBS was 1 min away from my actual finish (tho CDA was adjusted from aero-analyzer from that race). However for a hilly race it has me going up IMLP hills at 190-205 watts at 5.5-7mph -- which I do not think is possible at my weight/aero setup.

FTP: 285
Weight: 190 + 22 pounds bike race ready
CdA: .29

This is my first ironman with a power meter. I did the Columbia tri (250NP, 19mph hilly) this year and Eagleman (183NP, 20mph, flat) and ran well off both. Temperature was a huge difference for Eagleman -- I backed off significantly as I was originally planning 205NP and I was not heat adapted. Temp during my bike avg nearly 83 degrees with it being 86 at the end. Columbia tri was perfect at 60 degrees.

I have zero bike ego -- and from everything I have read I plan to ride IMLP as comically slow as possible. 60% IF would be 171 watts which BBS has at a 6:40 split with my measurements.

I have a 100 miler this weekend with 7k elevation which will be my litmus test for bike pacing. However I dont think I have gone up a hill with greater than 3% grade lower than 215 watts in my life. Maybe 205 watts but when you get to 6-7-8% grades -- forget it -- 225+ just to stay upright. Any suggestions? Besides lose more weight -- should knock off another 5 pounds between now and race day.
Quote Reply
Re: Pacing for IMLP [holograham] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
when i did imlp, i couldnt hit the power outputs of my bbs plan with a 34-28, i was supposed to stay under 200, but was pegged at 240-290 at 67 cadence...

nothing i could do to lower my power outpuf on the hills without stopping, some of them are too steel with my chosen gearing of 50-34 and 11-28
Quote Reply