Prev Next
Re: Georgia Race? [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trump won the district with less than 50% of the vote. He beat Hillary by 1.5%

Tom Price, who's seat was up for grabs won his 2016 reelection 61% to 38%
Quote Reply
Re: Georgia Race? [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The problem is the democrats still lost. Closing the gap is irrelevant, not just because it is a special election but because even with how moronic Trump is, and how he can't do anything without putting his foot in his mouth, There still aren't enough middle of the road voters to have Ossoff win. //

Why is it irrelevant to close a 20+% gap to single digits? And as for special elections, it is the republicans who traditionally come out more so than the democrats, so is that irrelevant too? And I get what Fox News says voting against Trump is not working, but reality is that it is working, just not enough yet to get a win in what was considered an unwindable district. When you get to districts that are traditionally single digit differences, then this is where there could be some problems for the incumbent pubs. Trump is not helping his party and continues to derail them each and every day. It is just getting worse and winning some slam dunks by margins that have not been seen in 40 or 50 years is not something I would go to be feeling great about.

I don't like this tactic, it is the same one that was used against Obama, just say no to everything. But it worked and in politics they all seem to go with what works for them, not necessarily what works for us. I think we are in a purging phase right now, hope it doesn't last more than a couple generations for our sakes...
Quote Reply
Re: Georgia Race? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't understand the big deal about this race. The district has been R for my entire life. The dems trot out a no name with tons of money. The reps bring out a woman who has run for office for 15 years and held a statewide position with tons of money.

Sure it was an opportunity for the dems. They should be disappointed they didn't win, but hardly surprised. Not sure why anyone is surprised at the outcome.
Quote Reply
Re: Georgia Race? [Trispoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure it was an opportunity for the dems. They should be disappointed they didn't win, but hardly surprised. Not sure why anyone is surprised at the outcome. //

Who here is surprised at the outcome, everyone thought she would win. The only surprise is by how little she won as compared to historical %'s in this particular race. Sure there were democrats there who were hopeful, probably not confident though, but seem like 100% of this LV group knew the score.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it comes down just to how you want to read the results and we really won't know till 2018. That's plenty of time for Trump to become presidential and lead the republicans.... ha ha okay maybe not. But given how crazy the first 6 months of the year has been. It's a long way off on how many things both parties can screw up.

To your second point I agree. We have a lot of things right now that really need to be fixed and none of that is getting done. We're just in a no you're wrong shouting match, so any fix is only going solve half the problem if that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Define close?

Oh, and then you have this little nugget from the article.

Most of the itemized contributions to Mr. Ossoff were from large Democratic states like California and New York. Just 14 percent came from Georgia, compared with 56 percent of Ms. Handel’s contributions. Among open-seat House candidates who raised at least $100,000 in 2016, the median in-state percentage of contributions was 82 percent.

The Dems tried to buy an election to send a message to their base. It didn't work. Now on to the next "statement election", the Resistance continues.

monty wrote:
Interest group money went more to the pub but the vast majority of total expenditures were in support of the dem. And still he lost. //

Now why do you have to go and do this shit, did you even read the article you linked? The money spent was pretty close, there was no vast majority going to the Dems. And money is blind, doesn't matter if if comes from some super pac or person, or committee. It all spends the same when you are buying commercials and ad space trying to win an election.

And yes the dem who was a carpetbagger 30+ year old that has never held office took it to the wire. And by wire I mean this is a district that usually gets won by 20+points on good years, and has been solidly in control since the 70's. You really don't think they(the Dems) can take some solace in this outcome even though they didn't actually win?

And the other race is SC was even more telling, not that much money spent and the same type of historical gap was closed to the point that there was a lot of nail biting going on early in the posting of the results.

This like some guy doing a 5 hour 1/2 race with the winner doing 4;10, and the next time they meet he goes 4;25 and the winner goes 4;20. Sure he didn't beat the guy, but for sure he walks away with a sort of win as far as how far he came, and looking to the future in a super positive light..

I'm not that invested in this stuff that much anymore, but I'm not blinded to what is going on..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
The problem is the democrats still lost. Closing the gap is irrelevant, not just because it is a special election but because even with how moronic Trump is, and how he can't do anything without putting his foot in his mouth, There still aren't enough middle of the road voters to have Ossoff win. //

Why is it irrelevant to close a 20+% gap to single digits? And as for special elections, it is the republicans who traditionally come out more so than the democrats, so is that irrelevant too? And I get what Fox News says voting against Trump is not working, but reality is that it is working, just not enough yet to get a win in what was considered an unwindable district. When you get to districts that are traditionally single digit differences, then this is where there could be some problems for the incumbent pubs. Trump is not helping his party and continues to derail them each and every day. It is just getting worse and winning some slam dunks by margins that have not been seen in 40 or 50 years is not something I would go to be feeling great about.

I don't like this tactic, it is the same one that was used against Obama, just say no to everything. But it worked and in politics they all seem to go with what works for them, not necessarily what works for us. I think we are in a purging phase right now, hope it doesn't last more than a couple generations for our sakes...
-
Well, some salient points: dems did think they could win, because Price is gone, and he was personally very well liked in the district. Add in that the district is the sixth wealthiest in the US (dems have a hold on 1-5, and education levels are high. So yes, they truly thought they had a shot. Could be that by bringing so much focus to the race they energized the pub base..., must have because that's all that would vote Trump. Ossoff was a pretty weak candidate though.
Quote Reply
Re: Georgia Race? [dave_w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree that he was weak, that happens in a lot of races that are considered slam dunks on both sides. And yes like I said, surly there were people that thought he was going to win, just not people on this forum.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know about anything else, but if you become this invested in the hoped-for success of your political candidate, then you're part of the problem and not part of the solution to what ails our political environment these days (I learned this the hard way a few years ago):

People have seriously got to take a step back, turn off the 24/7 news media and go for a run or a bike or a hike or some quiet time at the library or in the garden, or whatever. Anything but do what these folks are doing in this photo. Or what the ladies of The View did after the contest was decided by the voters:

The View doesn't handle Ossoff loss very well

Here's something that I know, from having had to interview and talk with a number of political candidates, their staffs and their handlers a couple years back: not one of these politicians, no matter their office, can make the differences that count in your life. I won't say that none of them care about the issues that affect the average person, because many of them do. It's just that they really can't do much about it. Only we can do that for ourselves.

That's all I wanted to say. I won't be responding in this thread. Mainly because I was hoping we'd have at least a year off from the constant politicking that goes on in our political process nowadays. That sure ain't happening. ;-)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Last edited by: big kahuna: Jun 21, 17 12:54
Quote Reply
Re: Georgia Race? [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's all I wanted to say. I won't be responding in this thread. Mainly because I was hoping we'd have at least a year off from the constant politicking that goes on in our political process nowadays. That sure ain't happening. ;-) //

Is that what you got from this thread? Other ones sure, but I though everyone here had a pretty nice discussion without jumping to talking points and my way or the highway rhetoric. Thanks for your points of view, a lot of your old righties have softened up a lot lately, refreshing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

I'm not that invested in this stuff that much anymore, but I'm not blinded to what is going on..

Yep...I guess if you WERE still invested in this stuff you might have started a thread about it or something...maybe posted a few times to it as well. You know...showed a real interest in the subject, offered a little "play by play" as the returns came in or something like that. But of course you're not invested in this stuff that much anymore...so none of that happened. Nice of you to drop by just to say "Hi" though.
Quote Reply
Re: Georgia Race? [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
I don't know about anything else, but...

Bravo! Welcome back Maestro!
Quote Reply
Re: Georgia Race? [gregn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep...I guess if you WERE still invested in this stuff you might have started a thread about it or something...//

I'm still interested in what is going on, just not invested in it like I used to be, make sense??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Yep...I guess if you WERE still invested in this stuff you might have started a thread about it or something...//

I'm still interested in what is going on, just not invested in it like I used to be, make sense??

Ahhh...so you didn't contribute to Ossoff's campaign then...got it.
Quote Reply

Prev Next