Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Are IM Welcome Banquets a thing of the past?
Quote | Reply
I haven't done an IM since last year and will not be doing one this year but in looking at the Event Schedules of a couple of the IM's this year I see that instead of Welcome Banquets I am seeing Welcome Ceremonies. Are they not having athlete dinners anymore?! If this is so then it is further example of IM watering the soup on us. My family loved the Welcome Banquet and it was a neat way of kicking off the festivities. Can someone confirm this? If so, it's a disappointing development. IM used to be an overall (almost week-long) experience. Now it's just a "give me your money and get in the water" affair.

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Are IM Welcome Banquets a thing of the past? [Lock_N_Load] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I attended them at Florida and Tremblant last year, so they do exist still in certain locations.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some races instead give out vouchers to use at local establishments. I think that is a way better idea than having everyone in a tent eating banquet food. At IMMD last year I used my voucher at a local pub and had a great time. Much better than sitting around a tent with a bunch of other twitchy type-A people eating soggy pasta.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At Wales last year they told us at the athlete briefing that they had been unable to find a large enough venue in the town and the previous venue (a hangar at an airfield, maybe?) wasn't available that year, so IM just issued vouchers to be used at various participating pubs/restaurants in the town and surrounding area.
Last edited by: WelshinPhilly: Jun 20, 17 13:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMTX had a welcome banquet with food this year at the Marriott.

IM Boulder had a welcome ceremony with a BBQ this year (after doing the voucher thing previously); not a banquet, but nicely done.

IMNZ has always had an awesome welcome banquet with food at the Events Centre in Taupo.

Team Kiwami
Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One could only wish they get rid of them lock, stock and barrell. The few I've attended have been routinely disappointing with a few exceptions.
Quote Reply
Re: Are IM Welcome Banquets a thing of the past? [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
noofus wrote:
Some races instead give out vouchers to use at local establishments. I think that is a way better idea than having everyone in a tent eating banquet food. At IMMD last year I used my voucher at a local pub and had a great time. Much better than sitting around a tent with a bunch of other twitchy type-A people eating soggy pasta.

Vouchers are a way better option! I would rather stick hot pokers up my ass than sit with a bunch of "twitchy type-A" triathletes eating some banquet food.

I'd rather go to a local establishment and eat with family and friends that I actually want to be around.

I often avoid staying at the host hotels for the same reason. I don't want to be around you people. :-)

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironman Western Australia no longer has a Welcome dinner. Instead it has an athlete Welcome and vouchers. For me personally I prefer this. However I think that the first timers miss out on the excitement and atmosphere of a Welcome Dinner.

Ironman Western Australia also no longer has an Awards Ceremony with a dinner. Instead they an afternoon Awards Ceremony. Again I prefer this.
Quote Reply
Re: Are IM Welcome Banquets a thing of the past? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i'd be at the other end of the spectrum: no matter how the food is, i've always enjoyed both pasta party and awards events for the sociability factor. i've always met athletes from other places, and in a situation where there's a chance to get more conversation in than at, say, race week training swims, etc.
these events have been a nice opportunity for me to get to know other competitors and compare notes with them. overall, i've seen them work to be a community sort of thing, and my experience with vouchers has worked in the opposite direction.
peggy
Quote Reply
Re: Are IM Welcome Banquets a thing of the past? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
noofus wrote:

Vouchers are a way better option! I would rather stick hot pokers up my ass than sit with a bunch of "twitchy type-A" triathletes eating some banquet food.

I'd rather go to a local establishment and eat with family and friends that I actually want to be around.

I often avoid staying at the host hotels for the same reason. I don't want to be around you people. :-)

Yeah, who you calling "You people?!" LOL. I actually like the idea of getting people together for a dinner prior to the race. You meet athletes from other places and have a nice relaxing time. I went to the Ironman Vineman Banquet last year and it was great. Good entertainment, good food, nice open air venue. It was a relaxing way to ease into the race. I now see that IM Santa Rosa (Vineman replacement) just has a Welcome Ceremony. Oh well, not the same IMO.

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Are IM Welcome Banquets a thing of the past? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would agree wholeheartedly if it did not feel like the athlete was getting nickeled and dimed to death. The savings from the banquet certainly is not given back to the athletes. And the vouchers are nice but they always end up costing more for the athletes in the long run as well. That's my beef with the removal of the banquet fwiw

"There are two ways to slide easily through life- to believe everything and to doubt everything- both ways save us from thinking "- Korzbyski
Quote Reply
Re: Are IM Welcome Banquets a thing of the past? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
One could only wish they get rid of them lock, stock and barrell. The few I've attended have been routinely disappointing with a few exceptions.

I was disappointed as well....not a fan of buffet cattle calls (always reminds me of the video someone posted of the challenge race dinner where the guy grabbed pasta with his hands).....but I do appreciate the effort IM makes it a special event.

They should just offer free beer to athletes at the finish line, i would come back, drink, cheer for the late finishers and it would be fun to hang out and talk to others about their race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have gone to one in my life. They didn't serve any booze, thus I never went back. I welcome the vouchers.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Are IM Welcome Banquets a thing of the past? [newguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After a few crappy welcome dinners in the states, I did IM Regensburg (2011), and it turned out to be the only IM welcome banquet that was off-the-charts great...super food, bottled beer, beer from the tap, beer and more beer! Might as well have been Octoberfest. After that I let my guard down and was sorely disappointed. I typically show up with wife and daughter so 2 tickets for them would be $60. For just a few bucks more, the three of us can go to a sit down, order off the menu, and have dinner in air conditioned comfort that is way, way better than the overpriced pasta plus salad that are typical of most IM Welcome dinners. However, I did get the voucher thing at St Croix 70.3 (2012) and I thought that was a fantastic idea. I did IM Zurich last year and I thought about buying a ticket for my wife, but first we looked at the dinner venue - a large tent on plywood flooring with plastic chairs, and no air conditioning on a hot day...not a chance was I going to pay for her to be miserable for some so-called welcome experience. We ended up having a fabulous meal at La Gratin overlooking the central train station. Holy cow did I make the right choice and my wife is still talking about it. If it's just you, then sure, go to the welcome dinner since it's already covered but if you have family with you, do them and yourself a favor and go out for a better and more relaxed dinner. And if it's your first IM, my advice is still the same...go elsewhere.
Quote Reply