Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Amazon's anti-price comparison patent
Quote | Reply
Interesting read. Amazon recently was issued a patent for anti-“showrooming” methods, which could be all the more relevant given its recently expanded physical retail presence with the Whole Foods acquisition.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/...m_term=.2051eecb64e1

“Amazon’s patent describes a system that can identify a customer’s Internet traffic and sense when the smartphone user is trying to access a competitor’s website. When that happens, Amazon may take one of several actions. It may block access to the competitor’s site, preventing customers from viewing comparable products from rivals. It might redirect the customer to Amazon’s own site or to other, Amazon-approved sites. It might notify an Amazon salesperson to approach the customer. Or it might send the customer’s smartphone a text message, coupon or other information designed to lure the person back into Amazon’s orbit.”

It seems to me that this is probably a defensive patent, in that Amazon wants to be able to prevent competitors from using this technology, because when consumers ‘showroom’, they often end up ultimately buying online from Amazon. However, who knows what evil lurks in the heart of Bezos…
Last edited by: wimsey: Jun 20, 17 11:08
Quote Reply
Re: Amazon's anti-price comparison patent [wimsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Correct me if I'm misunderstanding this, but does this set Amazon up to potentially be able to outright block customers from comparison shopping competitors using another browser tab? How would they enable this on their customer's device?

I could be completely misunderstanding how this works, but on the surface it sounds quite invasive if enabled, enough so to drive me away from Amazon and toward less convenient services.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amazon is just like the airlines. You click on something that you are interested in buying, come back a week later and it's more expensive, you buy it then come back a day later and its cheaper. I learned the hard way they track your cookies and they will not make any concessions after you buy it. I could have returned the 50lb fan I bought and repurchased it but the time and cost to do all that wasn't worth the extra $100 I paid.

Now I try to avoid Amazon at all costs and delete my cookies or use a different machine so they can't track me.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Duffy [ In reply to ]
Re: Amazon's anti-price comparison patent [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MidwestRoadie wrote:
Correct me if I'm misunderstanding this, but does this set Amazon up to potentially be able to outright block customers from comparison shopping competitors using another browser tab? How would they enable this on their customer's device?

I could be completely misunderstanding how this works, but on the surface it sounds quite invasive if enabled, enough so to drive me away from Amazon and toward less convenient services.

Primary mode would depend on the customer using amazons in-store wifi connection. Don't use heir wifi, shouldn't be an issue. Though I have not read the patent closely yet; possible they could put a cookie on your phone when you visit amazon from your mobile device that could enable similar function I suppose - but I'm speculating on that for now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That makes sense. It would be like when I go to Target and they automatically log me into their wifi, compare to Amazon's price & Target.com's price, and them blocking those so I can't request the price match if using their wifi. Now that I think of it, Target may already be doing something similar; Amazon is significantly slower or fails to load every time I'm on their wifi, which is always my prompt to turn wifi off while I'm there.

I'm OK with that in a physical location when I'm on their network and don't blame them even though it's not the most customer friendly practice, but would be turned off of shopping at a place that attempted to take over my device with a cookie that operated when I wasn't on their network.

wimsey wrote:
MidwestRoadie wrote:

Primary mode would depend on the customer using amazons in-store wifi connection. Don't use heir wifi, shouldn't be an issue. Though I have not read the patent closely yet; possible they could put a cookie on your phone when you visit amazon from your mobile device that could enable similar function I suppose - but I'm speculating on that for now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amazon has a physical store? Didnt know that. I thought they were just online.
Quote Reply
Re: Amazon's anti-price comparison patent [orphious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They just purchased Whole Foods, so there will be some physical Amazon presence. No telling if they expand it in other ways as well.

orphious wrote:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw that but you guys are saying connecting to "Amazon's WiFi" If there isn't a physical store yet... I guess I should probably read the article...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wimsey wrote:
MidwestRoadie wrote:

You don't think wireless carriers want to monetize your location? Carriers will sell everything about you, including sending data to Amazon when you've entered a specified location. That's why I use burner phones for stuff like this (and for texting mom's of my kids' friends).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
orphious wrote:

Yes. https://www.amazon.com/b?node=13270229011

And then there is the Whole Foods buy that will give them hundreds of new physical presences.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wimsey wrote:
MidwestRoadie wrote:

Took a quick read through the claims. That is essentially what they have. Use their wi-fi, they will check the traffic and use your history and account info with them to redirect.

If you want to read, here you are - https://www.pat2pdf.org/patents/pat9665881.pdf

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Amazon's anti-price comparison patent [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
wimsey wrote:
MidwestRoadie wrote:

Took a quick read through the claims. That is essentially what they have. Use their wi-fi, they will check the traffic and use your history and account info with them to redirect.

If you want to read, here you are - https://www.pat2pdf.org/patents/pat9665881.pdf

Have the patent printed out and on my desk, I'm just at the gym so I'm not reading it right now… even if the patent is just limited to use tied to their Wi-Fi in physical stores, there is a separate issue of whether they could deploy this kind of technology on your phones as a condition to using their Wi-Fi in store, and then having it follow you around. Wouldn't be Patent protected, probably would raise significant antitrust concerns, but have to wobmder if they're con but I have to wonder if they're considering it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wimsey wrote:
j p o wrote:
wimsey wrote:
MidwestRoadie wrote:

Have the patent printed out and on my desk, I'm just at the gym so I'm not reading it right now… even if the patent is just limited to use tied to their Wi-Fi in physical stores, there is a separate issue of whether they could deploy this kind of technology on your phones as a condition to using their Wi-Fi in store, and then having it follow you around. Wouldn't be Patent protected, probably would raise significant antitrust concerns, but have to wobmder if they're con but I have to wonder if they're considering it

Your permission will be in that little terms of service thing no one ever reads. You know, because it doesn't have anything important in it.

This really does seem borderline and you have to wonder if people will ever object to the intrusion or if we have just become so used to it.

They aren't really deploying it ON your phone. They are just intercepting what you expect to go to your phone and substituting what they want to go to it. Which seems even worse when you write it out.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Amazon's anti-price comparison patent [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
wimsey wrote:
j p o wrote:
wimsey wrote:
MidwestRoadie wrote:

Your permission will be in that little terms of service thing no one ever reads. You know, because it doesn't have anything important in it.

This really does seem borderline and you have to wonder if people will ever object to the intrusion or if we have just become so used to it.

They aren't really deploying it ON your phone. They are just intercepting what you expect to go to your phone and substituting what they want to go to it. Which seems even worse when you write it out.

I write those terms of service - have 2 on my desk next to the amazon patent :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
orphious wrote:

Ironically, Amazon has had some brick and mortar bookstores for a little while.
Quote Reply
Re: Amazon's anti-price comparison patent [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old Hickory wrote:
orphious wrote:

Ironically, Amazon has had some brick and mortar bookstores for a little while.

I've been in their store at the UTC in La Jolla. It's nice. I think they also have an automated grocery store in Seattle.

I'm pretty sure they could only redirect while you were using their wifi(the article says on their wifi while in store). If you were using your own ISP, and they did that kind of a redirect it would be considered malware. I think a VPN could defeat their redirect even on their wifi.

LLLEEEEEEEEEEEERRRROOOYYY JEEENNNNNKKKIIINNNNNS!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Amazon's anti-price comparison patent [edwinj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who the hell connects to public Wi-Fi?
Quote Reply
Re: Amazon's anti-price comparison patent [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
I have never experienced this.

Dynamic pricing and neural networks can quickly change the pricing on items that are less popular, like my experience with a whole house attic fan. Airlines do it all the time. You keep shopping for tickets to Florida, they track that and don't be surprised the next time you actually want to book the tickets they are higher.

Amazon last year changed their policy on price refunds if the price went down after you purchased it driven by third party refund services. Amazon keeps track of all your shopping data. That data is worth a bunch and someday someone will invent something where you archive your own data history, shopping, location services, etc. and you will be able to sell it back to Amazon and others if you choose. Now we are just giving our valuable data to Google and Amazon for free and they are using it against you.
Quote Reply
Re: Amazon's anti-price comparison patent [summitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sure this happens at some places but I've never experienced it with Amazon. Also I just booked tickets to Florida on united looked for a few months finally were within the three month window and the prices dropped. I think people seem to think this because it keeps getting closer and closer to the trip and prices go up because it's closer and less seats are available.

The airlines care far more what everyone else is charging vs how much one person wants to go on a flight. They can't raise a flight price to 300 from 200 when everyone else is charging 200.
Quote Reply
Re: Amazon's anti-price comparison patent [summitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
summitt wrote:
Amazon is just like the airlines. You click on something that you are interested in buying, come back a week later and it's more expensive, you buy it then come back a day later and its cheaper. I learned the hard way they track your cookies and they will not make any concessions after you buy it. I could have returned the 50lb fan I bought and repurchased it but the time and cost to do all that wasn't worth the extra $100 I paid.

Now I try to avoid Amazon at all costs and delete my cookies or use a different machine so they can't track me.
I have experienced this too but thanks to my prime subscription, I just send back the item if returnable.

Quote | Reply
  That's why I use burner phones for stuff like this (and for texting mom's of my kids' friends).[/quote]
POTD.

Too many won't get it.

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Re: Amazon's anti-price comparison patent [justgeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
justgeorge wrote:
That's why I use burner phones for stuff like this (and for texting mom's of my kids' friends).

POTD.

Too many won't get it.[/quote]
Only those lacking LR commitment
Quote Reply
Re: Amazon's anti-price comparison patent [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Who the hell connects to public Wi-Fi?

This x1000000. Who the fuck would connect to a Whole Foods or target wifi network?
Quote Reply