Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Manslaughter? [scorpio516] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scorpio516 wrote:
Fixed.

They took the lost wages approach. He was a marine salvage captain (I didn't know you could get a captain's license at 18), 40 years of lost wages.

Lost wages that would never have gone to mom. Mom filed the complaint. Mom has to show harm. Mom has to show the loss of her son resulted in the loss of $4.2M in wages to her. Mom was not a dependent of son.

If he had a dependent, that evaluation would make sense. But mom is not a dependent. A working parent with a spouse/kid is worth the value of lost wages. Kids are not worth much at all b/c they have no dependents.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Manslaughter? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any idea how the Goldman family justified $8.5M in compensatory damages from OJ resulting from the death of their son?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the stay of sentence is what bothers me but I understand the reasoning behind it that the judge explained where the potential length of the appeal process would be longer than the sentence itself (which I agree was short). One of the local TV stations had video of her leaving the house last night for a night out with her friends; I can't blame the Roy's for being pissed.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: Manslaughter? [gotsand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gotsand wrote:
Any idea how the Goldman family justified $8.5M in compensatory damages from OJ resulting from the death of their son?

People being pissed off OJ got away with murder. They never saw that money. Ultimately they received about $500k.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, I know they didn't get much money. But, they were awarded $8.5M in compensatory along with very large punitive damages.

'Mom has to show the loss of her son resulted in the loss of $4.2M in wages to her. Mom was not a dependent of son.'

According to you, the Goldmans had to show $8.5M in actual damages. Being a waiter isn't justifying those kind of damages. Just curious what other mechanism may have been used to generate that level of claimed damages and why said tactic couldn't apply to the pending civil case discussed herein. Is it only because the jurors were pissed at OJ? I can buy that, I suppose. Keep in mind that this girl isn't exactly a sympathetic figure. I wouldn't be surprised to see a large award handed down here, too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gotsand wrote:
Yes, I know they didn't get much money. But, they were awarded $8.5M in compensatory along with very large punitive damages.

'Mom has to show the loss of her son resulted in the loss of $4.2M in wages to her. Mom was not a dependent of son.'

According to you, the Goldmans had to show $8.5M in actual damages. Being a waiter isn't justifying those kind of damages. Just curious what other mechanism may have been used to generate that level of claimed damages and why said tactic couldn't apply to the pending civil case discussed herein. Is it only because the jurors were pissed at OJ? I can buy that, I suppose. Keep in mind that this girl isn't exactly a sympathetic figure. I wouldn't be surprised to see a large award handed down here, too.

It was b/c the jury was pissed. It would have been dramatically reduced on appeal. But OJ was broke so there was no purpose to appeal.

Quote Reply
Re: Manslaughter? [outerlimit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sentence 15 months, 5 yrs. probation.

Quote Reply
Re: Manslaughter? [getcereal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She's a real piece of work.

A woman who encouraged her boyfriend in text messages to take his own life reportedly requested to take home his ashes after the funeral.
Michelle Carter, the 20-year-old from Massachusetts who was found guilty of involuntary manslaughter in June, reportedly attended former boyfriend Conrad Roy’s funeral and requested to have a look around his room.
The pair only met three times but exchanged hundreds of text messages and phone calls, where Carter, then 17, repeatedly asked Roy when he would kill himself and researched ways he could do it.
Roy’s aunt, Kim Bozzi, told ABC News that Carter’s behaviour after her nephew’s death in 2014 was “disturbing” and that the woman had a “damaged moral core”.
“She wanted to go through his room and take some of his belongings,” Ms Bozzi said.
“That’s when things started to get a little weird. Yeah, you don’t do that.”

https://www.yahoo.com/...mself-094941612.html

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gotsand wrote:

Besides, compensatory damages are not lost wages. Compensatory damages are pain & suffering, mental anguish, embarrassment, and other non-pecuniary damages. Lost wages are not really compensatory damages, they are actual damages that can be accurately measured mathematically. Compensatory damages are usually not so easily measured and largely result from the jury's "feelings" about what amount would rightfully compensate a plaintiff for the pain/suffering/anguish associated with the loss.

''The enemy isn't conservatism. The enemy isn't liberalism. The enemy is bulls**t.''

—Lars-Erik Nelson
Quote Reply

Prev Next