Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

McD's and others part ways with IOC and USOC
Quote | Reply
Apparently McDonald's no longer values the Olympic Principles and Traditions. And neither do several other big named USOC sponsors. It'll be interesting to see how the size of our Olympic teams shrink.

"Budweiser (BUD) and TD Ameritrade (AMTD) pulled out of their Olympic sponsorships this year, although their deals were only with the USOC, not the IOC. AT&T (T, Tech30), Citi (C) and Hilton(HLT) have also opted to not partner with the USOC."

http://money.cnn.com/...rtnership/index.html

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: McD's and others part ways with IOC and USOC [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am amazed that any corporations want to align themselves with the IOC. Or FIFA.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it their revenues as a part of the sponsorship or some moral compass these corporations suddenly have wrt the IOC?

My guess is the former, that there's more bang for the buck elsewhere. No fucking way in hell these big corporations are parting with a profitable venture over gray-area practices. Otherwise how do you justify and FIFA or NFL sponsorships, NCAA, anything to do with the Redskins, I'm sure there are dozens upon dozens of other examples.

This is about ad revenue.
Quote Reply
Re: McD's and others part ways with IOC and USOC [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
or some moral compass these corporations suddenly have wrt the IOC?

It's always about revenue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since when does the IOC value Olympic Principles and Traditions? Then again, systemic corruption doesn't jump to the top of my head when listing 'Olympic Principles'. To each their own.
Quote Reply
Re: McD's and others part ways with IOC and USOC [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
I am amazed that any corporations want to align themselves with the IOC. Or FIFA.

In a corrupt system, $$$ talks. Which is exactly why they would stick with the IOC or FIFA, because they know they can buy influence. Why have your money go only towards advertising when you can also also buy favors with the same money.
Quote Reply
Re: McD's and others part ways with IOC and USOC [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Is it their revenues as a part of the sponsorship or some moral compass these corporations suddenly have wrt the IOC?

My guess is the former, that there's more bang for the buck elsewhere. No fucking way in hell these big corporations are parting with a profitable venture over gray-area practices. Otherwise how do you justify and FIFA or NFL sponsorships, NCAA, anything to do with the Redskins, I'm sure there are dozens upon dozens of other examples.

The article says it was mutual, and "Michael Payne, a former IOC marketing director, told CNNMoney he views this split as logical.
"McDonald's has been a partner for a very long time, which is expensive," he said. "It also got to the point where McDonald's was difficult to manage. McDonald's viewed itself as owning the food category. This isn't just a case of the sponsor saying, 'We've decided to move on.'""

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Somewhat related...

The IOC corruption, the perpetual athlete PED issue, unsustainable infrastructure, judging scandals, ticket scandals and on and on. It's time for the Olympic weed to whither away and die.
Quote Reply
Re: McD's and others part ways with IOC and USOC [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The IOC corruption, the perpetual athlete PED issue, unsustainable infrastructure, judging scandals, ticket scandals and on and on. It's time for the Olympic weed to whither away and die.

Agreed.

I think the IOC, The Olympic Games, as well as in this case some of their key sponsors have reached a bit of a tipping point.

You would have to go back to the Winter Games in Lillhammer and Summer Games in Barcelona, to the last time, there were really the true, vision of the games, that was played out on the ground. Since then, it's literally been one controversy, black-eye and even scandal after another for the whole of the Olympic movement.

The whole bidding process grew to be obscene and corrupt and then when countries like China and Russia won bids, it was a spare-no-expenses, damn the torpedo approach to the staging of the games that pushed the cost, that you "must" spend into the stratosphere!

Now bidders are few*, and sponsors are starting to be not interested.

*My home city Toronto has staged two bids (and lost twice) and there was a lot of talk after the PanAm Games in 2015 of putting in another Summer Games bid. For both of the bids that were activated there was significant opposition - there were by ni means unanimous nor had a majority of people in Toronto in favour of them. When talk emerged of putting in a 3rd bid recently, it was almost immediately quashed by people who were in opposition to TO putting in a bid. What does it say about the Olympics when one of the most multicultural and ethnically diverse cities on the Planet, that routinely places in the top-10 or top-5 "Best of . ." places to live in the world, does NOT want the Olympic games?

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Macca's doesn't just sponsor the US Olympic team. It also sponsors the Australian team. Sponsoring multiple country teams must be expensive.
http://corporate.olympics.com.au/aocsponsor/mcdonalds
Quote Reply