Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Chinese Breakthrough in Quantum Physics May Lead to Hacker-Proof Internet
Quote | Reply
It's called "quantum entanglement" (and where's @Francois and all the other science boffins when you need them? ;-) and it's part of particle physics.

Apparently, the Chinese have been able to beam a pair of entangled particles, which are photons of light (my high school mid-70s physics class is very hazy, but I recall that light is made up of photons), and that they behave as twins and both experience the same things simultaneously, even though they're separated by great distances. The implications of that are mind-boggling.

A COMPLETELY NEW INTERNET
"By launching a group of quantum-enabled satellites, China hopes to create a super secure network that uses an encryption technique based on the principles of a field known as quantum communication."
"The reason it can’t be hacked is because the information carried in the quantum state of a particle cannot be measured or cloned without destroying the information itself."

Quantum internet: China smashes record for beaming entangled particles

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Breakthrough in Quantum Physics May Lead to Hacker-Proof Internet [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not true, bending the particles and skimming them can extract info.

sometimes
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Breakthrough in Quantum Physics May Lead to Hacker-Proof Internet [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I recently read a book by Robert Lanza called Beyond Biocentrism which describes examples of this. They have even done it with things bigger than photons. Theoretically two photons could be in different galaxies and be "communicating' their movements with each other. Instantaneously is faster than the speed of light. Experiments also show that the behaviour of particles changes solely based upon whether they are observed or not. Mind blowing stuff.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Al Gore is going to be pissed.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Breakthrough in Quantum Physics May Lead to Hacker-Proof Internet [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
I recently read a book by Robert Lanza called Beyond Biocentrism which describes examples of this. They have even done it with things bigger than photons. Theoretically two photons could be in different galaxies and be "communicating' their movements with each other. Instantaneously is faster than the speed of light. Experiments also show that the behaviour of particles changes solely based upon whether they are observed or not. Mind blowing stuff.

My mind is officially blown by all of this, that's for sure. :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can they somehow use this breakthrough to stop all of the damn telemarketing calls from India?
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Breakthrough in Quantum Physics May Lead to Hacker-Proof Internet [Jim @ LOTO, MO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, the plan is that they will use the instantaneous linkage of the photons to ensure that wherever you are and whatever you're doing, you experience the exact same crappy ads and links to sites featuring 10 celebrity photos that you simply won't believe. The prototype is going well so far.
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Breakthrough in Quantum Physics May Lead to Hacker-Proof Internet [Jim @ LOTO, MO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim @ LOTO, MO wrote:
Can they somehow use this breakthrough to stop all of the damn telemarketing calls from India?

Ummmmm...what Mr. Cartsman said. I don't think there's a snowball's chance in Hades that we'll be freed from ads. ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
Jim @ LOTO, MO wrote:

Ummmmm...what Mr. Cartsman said. I don't think there's a snowball's chance in Hades that we'll be freed from ads. ;-)

This will probably do just the opposite, and block our ad-blockers. It'll be all ads all the time! Unless of course you pay the premium.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hacking is rarely due to limitations of encryption algorithms. Sometimes it's due to hardware and software issues. Most of the time it's because people are stupid.
Quantum computing has been discussed for easily 20 years and there is one built of a limited purpose quantum computer.
Actually most folks initially thought that quantum computers would be an issue re. encryption because it would allow hackers to brute force anything, including a good implementation of AES or RSA, using Shor's algorithm. But it seems that it's not really the case because RSA is pretty good.

Anyway, knock yourself out: https://eprint.iacr.org/2017/351.pdf

Requires to know a bit of number theory ;-)

Or you can check this for clinical data, using elliptic curve encryption https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28007583
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Breakthrough in Quantum Physics May Lead to Hacker-Proof Internet [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
Hacking is rarely due to limitations of encryption algorithms. Sometimes it's due to hardware and software issues. Most of the time it's because people are stupid.
Quantum computing has been discussed for easily 20 years and there is one built of a limited purpose quantum computer.
Actually most folks initially thought that quantum computers would be an issue re. encryption because it would allow hackers to brute force anything, including a good implementation of AES or RSA, using Shor's algorithm. But it seems that it's not really the case because RSA is pretty good.

Anyway, knock yourself out: https://eprint.iacr.org/2017/351.pdf

Requires to know a bit of number theory ;-)

Or you can check this for clinical data, using elliptic curve encryption https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28007583

Numbers theory? The only "numbers theory" I know these days is my numbers on the Powerball. ;-) ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Breakthrough in Quantum Physics May Lead to Hacker-Proof Internet [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:

This "quantum entanglement at a distance" effect might be evidence that reality as we know it is merely a computer simulation. I.e., we're all just CGI characters existing in a really hi-res simulation. Under this hypothesis, many quantum effects are the result of the simulating computer "rendering" a result after the fact, on an as-needed basis, just before it is "observed" by the sims.

http://www.bottomlayer.com/...ument/Argument4.html

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Quote Reply