Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Old tubulars?
Quote | Reply
I've been out of doing triathlons for a while, and am dusting off my old tribike (QR Ariel titanium frame with 650c wheels if that shows how dusty) to do a sprint distance race in a few months. I don't expect to be super fast, but I am running tubulars on Hed3s that have been mounted for ten? years. The old continental sprinters on the wheels are holding air fine and I have done a few rides around the block to test them out. Doing training rides on my road bike. Should I just throw the old tires out and remount some new ones? Looks like I might spend $50 x3 (for a spare), plus glue or tape. $250 to get them back up to speed or I may just ride my clincher road bike?
Quote Reply
Re: Old tubulars? [Castalia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If the tires hold sir they might be okay. However you can't trust a glue job for more than two years. I would just re-glue them and then test them on a few training rides.

Used to be an old story Lance would only ride tubulars that were aged for 5-7 years;)

"When I first had the opportunity to compete in triathlon, it was the chicks and their skimpy race clothing that drew me in. Everyone was so welcoming and the lifestyle so obviously narcissistic. I fed off of that vain energy. To me it is what the sport is all about."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unless you can find obvious spots where the glue has let go, they will be fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did conti use latex tubes in that era ?

Only because I dragged out my retro MTB (air B latex tubes) and both tubes ruptured when I pumped them up. When I stripped them down the latex had degraded somewhat.

It was years ago now but from memory, tubes probably had a couple of years use. Bike was probably stored for about 12 to 15 years (in a shed / no UV).

I don't know if this was common / expected or if some other random factor was at play.

WD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Old tubulars? [WD Pro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AFAIK Conti have never used latex in their consumer tyres. I installed a set of Conti tubies on my race wheels in around 1991 and only replaced them in 2003 because I switched to Vittoria tyres with latex tubes. The tyres were still fine.

If you're happy with the tyres, I would remove and re-glue them. If you're worried about them holding up, I would pump them up to 140psi and see if they hold. If they do I would keep using them.
Quote Reply
Re: Old tubulars? [nickag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was in this exact same situation 6 months ago. Same tires even, prob 12yrs old. Had them on both race wheels and training wheels. I pulled off all the tires and simply reglued back on 3 of 4. Good thing I did too, the tires came off the rims pretty easily. The only tire I actually replaced was the rear training tire because it was pretty worn.

Then, as I got to doing more reading, I realized how much better modern tires apparently are then my old Sprinters. So I bought new tires and swapped them in for the old Sprinters on the race wheels. So I've 2x perfectly serviceable 12yr old Sprinters hanging from a nail in the garage, ready for service should duty call.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Re: Old tubulars? [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Once saw a video about the service crew for one of the major long time TdF teams. They showed the basement "aging room" where hundreds of tubulars were draped on racks to mellow out for several years. It looked like a ham or wine storing area.
Quote Reply
Re: Old tubulars? [trimule] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trimule wrote:
Once saw a video about the service crew for one of the major long time TdF teams. They showed the basement "aging room" where hundreds of tubulars were draped on racks to mellow out for several years. It looked like a ham or wine storing area.

Wine, aging tubulars, blood bags...everything a contending TdF team needs. Did I miss anything else? Oh and I will be glues to the feed from France for the full 3 weeks!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Old tubulars? [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lyrrad wrote:
Unless you can find obvious spots where the glue has let go, they will be fine.

How many tubulars have you rolled?
Fine me one person (aside from you), who would say you shouldn't re-glue a tubular every other year? In this particular case we are talking about a 10 year old glue job.
Quote Reply