Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Another reason to shake one's head at Canada [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
windywave wrote:
sphere wrote:
"“Great news,” announced Justin Trudeau, Canada’s prime minister. “Bill C-16 has passed the Senate – making it illegal to discriminate based on gender identity or expression. #LoveisLove.”"

The hashtag refers to same sex marriage acceptance. What does it have to do with punishing people who use the "wrong" pronoun?

No clue. I have enough issues trying to figure out what the hell Trump is saying to interpret what someone less important that the governor of CA or TX is blathering about.

Here's the State summary of the bill in question (emphasis mine):

Quote:
This enactment amends the Canadian Human Rights Act to add gender identity and gender expression to the list of prohibited grounds of discrimination.

The enactment also amends the Criminal Code to extend the protection against hate propaganda set out in that Act to any section of the public that is distinguished by gender identity or expression and to clearly set out that evidence that an offence was motivated by bias, prejudice or hate based on gender identity or expression constitutes an aggravating circumstance that a court must take into consideration when it imposes a sentence.

I honestly have no idea how this would apply to the use of a pronoun in everyday use, though it's not hard to envision a scenario in which a conflict could arise and someone intentionally use the correct/politically incorrect pronoun as an insult, like in the setting of a conflict at a protest, in which case they'd be screwed. Hate Crime.

To my point about Trudeau's use of the hashtag: he's either thoughtlessly recycling an unrelated pro-LGBTQ hashtag, or he's strategically conflating same sex marriage advocacy--which enjoys overwhelming support--with an agenda to force gender fluidity acceptance through legislation, which I'm guessing is far less popular. Only hate would deny people the right to love whom they choose, right, and so it must be with every item on the LGBTQ agenda.

My guess is the latter.

I'd have to do more research, but "offense" seems to be undefined.
Quote Reply

Prev Next