Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New fork on Canyon Speedmax Al 8.0?
Quote | Reply
I realised yesterday that my tire has been rubbing on the fork of my Canyon Speedmax Al 8.0.
The tire is a (fairly old) 23mm GP4000s, so not really wide, it looks like it has a couple of mm clearance, but when turning or under strain it can rub a little. When I brake on downhill the front end shudders a bit.

I am doing Roth in just over 3 weeks, what should I do? I have ordered a 22mm Attack tire. Could/should I get a new wider fork? Are forks easily interchangeable, I mean it shouldn't be a hard job, but is it more difficult than I think, and is it worth it?

Any suggestions are welcome.
Quote Reply
Re: New fork on Canyon Speedmax Al 8.0? [NUFCrichard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NUFCrichard wrote:
I realised yesterday that my tire has been rubbing on the fork of my Canyon Speedmax Al 8.0.
The tire is a (fairly old) 23mm GP4000s, so not really wide, it looks like it has a couple of mm clearance, but when turning or under strain it can rub a little. When I brake on downhill the front end shudders a bit.

I am doing Roth in just over 3 weeks, what should I do? I have ordered a 22mm Attack tire. Could/should I get a new wider fork? Are forks easily interchangeable, I mean it shouldn't be a hard job, but is it more difficult than I think, and is it worth it?

Any suggestions are welcome.
It sounds odd that a 23mm tyre is rubbing. It would be less surprising for a 25mm or bigger tyre especially on a frame that was several years old.
Are you using a wheel with a very wide rim by any chance? or could you have either a lot of play in the wheel bearings or a lot of flex in the bearings/fork?
I'm afraid I'm not familiar with compatibility or availability of forks to help you there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I too have a Canyon Speedmax AL and my frontwheel is also not centered properly, its roughly 1-2mm to the side. I use Conti Attack in the front and I can easily see that the tire is much closer to the fork on one side than the other :/
Quote Reply
Re: New fork on Canyon Speedmax Al 8.0? [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have 23mm rims, it is a Planet X CT45.
I don't feel any play in the bearings, and the headset is new and has no play at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They are pretty wide rims aren't they?

Do you have another front wheel to try?

If not I'd take it to a shop. A couple of mm clearance sounds like it isn't enough but they'd be able to tell you. I think Contis are normally a bit wider than stated.
Quote Reply