Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How the hell does chromecast work?
Quote | Reply
Tell me. Now. Or better yet, what system should I get?

I have been using my DVD player which has wifi. It sucks.

In the basement I have a smart TV and a laptop plugged into the TV. That works fine.

I need something for upstairs. Something cheaper than that set up.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Last edited by: BLeP: Jun 15, 17 17:58
Quote Reply
Re: How the hell does chromecast work? [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Tell me. Now.

It uses a dongle (that's its name) that hooks to your TV and you pair it with your laptop or computer (you need Chrome set up properly). Then the dongle reads the signal sent by your Chrome app on your laptop (or phone, even) or computer and puts it up on your TV screen. IT'S MAGIC, in other words. ;-)

We have a Chromecast dongle we never used. You can have it, if you want it. I'll mail it to you. :-)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
google it

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aren't you in IT? Google it!

You log into your WiFi network on it over your phone, then you can use your phone as a remote control to stream anything (Netflix, YouTube, Google music, etc).

You can also use it to cast your PC screen, but it kinda sucks for that. Otherwise, great device.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's easy. Get a Roku stick. Far more content.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought one when they first came out, I think it included 3 or 4 months of Netflix which essentially washed the cost of the Chromecast. It now sits in a drawer. Go with a Roku or Firestick instead.
Quote Reply
Re: How the hell does chromecast work? [IHOP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IHOP wrote:
I bought one when they first came out, I think it included 3 or 4 months of Netflix which essentially washed the cost of the Chromecast. It now sits in a drawer. Go with a Roku or Firestick instead.

We did that, too, after getting that Chromecast dongle (went with a Roku and a Firestick). Never been happier since we cut that cable cord.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: How the hell does chromecast work? [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, the ONLY thing I miss about cable is college football on ESPN. I subscribe to SlingTV in the fall which I can cancel at any time, no contracts. The image quality on the Sling app isn't great, but it allows me to login with the ESPN app which gives me HD quality. Outside of that, I have a HD antenna for local news, Netflix, & Amazon and we have more than enough to watch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

We have Roku upstairs, Chromecast and firestick downstairs.

I like the chromecast downstairs because google play music is my go to app for music and it casts to the living room which controls the speakers throughout the house. We use it for the music, Netflix and youtube. Use our iPhones to control it.

The firestick we only use for the Kodi app. That and the one amazon show I watch "The Grand Tour".

Roku is generally used for Netflix only. But it will do Amazon Prime as well.

Roku is probably best all around. It has a decently easy to navigate interface, is responsive and can do Netflix and Amazon. Only thing it can't do is Kodi.

Chromecast shines when it comes to searching for content. Much easier to search on your phone then cast it than to type shit in with a remote.

Firestick interface sucks, it is only good for Kodi.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We love our chrome cast ! Watching net flics on it right now. I have one on my tv in the den and one in the sunroom. Anything you can stream on your phone or computer can be cast to your tv. Best 35 dollars I've ever spent.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What the hell are you trying to accomplish?

Chromecast might be the easiest gadget ever invented to simply plug in and play. I don't use it often but it's handy when I want WatchESPN on the big screen.
Quote Reply