Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

We put our Collie down today...
Quote | Reply
We got this dog for my daughter's tenth birthday. She would have been 15 in another 10 days. She was faithful to her humans until the end. She was faithful to the Dog Code (which is more strict than the Velominati Rules) and did not reveal the English word that rhymes with orange.
Quote Reply
Re: We put our Collie down today... [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brutal. As a fellow dog lover I feel for you guys. Hang in there (I know that doesn't help!).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 I am truly sorry for your loss.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: We put our Collie down today... [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry man. I know that's really a downer.

We put a dog down about 10yrs ago. That dog and I were tight. We ran together all the time. I often took it to work during the Army days. I cried like a school girl. Took several years before we got another dog.

But today, TODAY, I came home with a puppy. So dog #2 for us. The boys, 14, 12 & 12, are going crazy as I type this. It's an Australian Cattle Dog. They're supposed to be big time runners. 5 runners in this family so she's found the right place.

Death is part of life. But it's a really fucked up part that sucks very much.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear, never an easy thing to do.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very sorry for your loss. Been there twice in the last two years. It never gets easy, but rest assured, you did right by your four-legged friend.

''The enemy isn't conservatism. The enemy isn't liberalism. The enemy is bulls**t.''

—Lars-Erik Nelson
Quote Reply
Re: We put our Collie down today... [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We just got our first pup this year. I am constantly blown away by the bond formed between me and the dog. I read these threads and honestly get choked up at the thought of having to put her down (hopefully) a long ways down the road.

A friend of ours has a husky/Aussie cattle dog. Fantastic dog and running partner. Enjoy!

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you gave her a real dogs life though, that is what you hang onto during this time of mourning. Focus on the memories and not the loss, cry the whole time and in the end just smile....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never easy. They give us so much love and are dearly missed. Sorry for your loss.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: We put our Collie down today... [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ACD was the best dog I ever had. Superlative in every category. Sounds like you've got plenty of help to keep this dog tired.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, our day may be coming very soon too
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear that. Hang in there. It will get better.

"Honestly, triathlon is a pussified version of duathlon on that final run."- Desert Dude

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So sorry for you...part of the family, they are, and most times the only shining light during the course of the day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know how you feel. In our family, we have had to put two collies down, one for heartworms and the other went blind along with some other issues. Both losses left everyone in our family depressed for months. That was 30 and 40 years ago.

Now, I have my own family that includes an 11YO Cavashon that is very much loved by all of us. He's full of energy, doesn't bark much, doesn't shed, absolutely LIVES to chase a ball, and never fails to greet everyone at the door with his tail wagging furiously. He is as attached to my wife as she is to him and I dread the day we have to say goodbye to the little guy. I hope he can last at least two more years so that I will be retired and can mourn the loss without worry for when I have to return to work.

Nothing heals better than the passage of time. It will get better.

Greg

If you are a Canuck that engages in gratuitous bashing of the US, you are probably on my Iggy List. So, save your self a bunch of typing a response unless you also feel the need to gratuitously bash me. If so, have fun.
"Don't underestimate Joe's ability to f___ things up" - Barack Obama, 2020
Quote Reply
Re: We put our Collie down today... [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Sounds like you gave her a real dogs life though, that is what you hang onto during this time of mourning. Focus on the memories and not the loss, cry the whole time and in the end just smile....

We're putting down our Boston Terrier today. 13 years. For the past couple of days I heard my wife crying in the shower and during the night. What you said is what I keep telling her. She has had a great life. Tons of time at the dog park, playing fetch, playing with a ton of kids and overall just spoiled. Phenomenal dog.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry for your loss.

We went through this two weeks ago. Our girl was a mix of schnauzer and terrier. We got her from the Human Society when she was 8 months old. 14 years to the day we had to put her down. It's so hard to lose these sweet family members. Their lives are far too short.

Don

Tri-ing to have fun. Anything else is just a bonus!
Quote Reply
Re: We put our Collie down today... [Tri2HaveFun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so sorry all of you.

it is always a very sad day when that happens, even when we are preparing ourselves.
we lost 2 dogs in 13 months. it is just a year ago when our boy died. still miss him, even though he sent a new four legged friend our way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only dog I owned was a collie. Faithful family pet. Had to put him down at age 14.
So sorry for your loss.
Quote Reply